Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 09:26 PM

14 posts, read 18,967 times

Advertisements

Greetings, I'm taking a gap year and would love to find a coastal town to live with great air quality. Can you recommend any towns in South Carolina (or the region) that are walkable to groceries, beaches, educational opportunities, coffee shops, etc? I know it's SC, but the more progressive and friendly, the better. I liked Asheville NC but the air quality is just so-so. I would like to rent a studio or 1 bedroom. If under $1,200/month, that would be fantastic, but I could stretch a bit more for the right place. I'm currently in Denver and ready to escape the brown cloud that looms over the city. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 11:24 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
Not sure how many studios you will find but it looks like you are looking for Hilton Head or possibly Kiawah. Check them out.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:28 AM

47 posts, read 52,320 times
I wouldn't call Hilton Head progressive, but it is a really nice, albeit expensive place to live. If you get a bike you can pretty much get any where on the island as it has a fairly extensive (by US/SC standards) bike trail system. It's touristy, but not gimmicky...just a nice laid back, relaxing place.
My BIL from England remarked how great the air quality is there.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:44 AM

Thank you for the replies, Iam4USC and jjmmww! Hilton Head and Kiawah look absolutely stunning. It's okay that they aren't "progressive". I am planning a trip to Charleston next month and am keen to check out Hilton Head and Kiawah. Thank you and happy day to you both!

Old 01-14-2016, 07:48 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Folly Beach, SC

Old 01-14-2016, 08:11 AM

266 posts, read 319,740 times
Folly Beach. Daniel Island.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:56 AM

Thank you, Folly Beach and Daniel Island added to the itinerary!

Old 01-14-2016, 10:05 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOODLES2000 View Post
Greetings, I'm taking a gap year and would love to find a coastal town to live with great air quality. Can you recommend any towns in South Carolina (or the region) that are walkable to groceries, beaches, educational opportunities, coffee shops, etc? I know it's SC, but the more progressive and friendly, the better. I liked Asheville NC but the air quality is just so-so. I would like to rent a studio or 1 bedroom. If under $1,200/month, that would be fantastic, but I could stretch a bit more for the right place. I'm currently in Denver and ready to escape the brown cloud that looms over the city. Many thanks!
What you're asking for is impossible (walking distance to both the beach, and educational opportunities?) but you can come close.

Daniel Island, Folly Beach, Murrells Inlet , Pawleys Island, Southport NC , downtown Wilmington NC are all walkable, near the coast, and probably within your price range- which is about as close as you're going to get.

Last edited by le roi; 01-14-2016 at 10:25 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 10:19 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
None of these are going to be accessible to college/tech school campuses- which is what I assume you meant by educational opportunities. Downtown Charleston or Beaufort might work but from those you need to trek further out for the actual beach. Daniel Island is an inland island so it will also lack beach access. Kiawah is a resort community so no real jobs (aside form hospitality) on the island nor are there many jobs, education centers, etc immediately adjacent. That would require a commute.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:39 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
I'd add Isle of Palms since you could walk/bike to a grocery store pretty easily. Same caveats as the other places though, you'd have to drive to get to non-hospitality jobs and educational opportunities.

Many South Carolinians may balk at this, but consider Myrtle Beach. It is tacky and touristy, but if lived "downtown" you could walk to a lot of places. The local colleges would require a drive, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina