Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
I think my next thread will be asking if regular people will be able to afford to live in Charleston in a few more years .lol (especially now that Charleston has been voted best city in the world). That's why I started this thread about Sumter.I live in the Upstate now and I am not sure if I will be able to afford living in Charleston when my brother and his family move there .Sumter seems to be an alternative and I like that its relatively close to Charleston (1 hour 45 mins) , Columbia and Lake Marion. I would like to be able to live relatively inexpensively but still be able to enjoy being close to the Lowcountry and the Pee Dee as well.I have a boat and i would be getting to Lake Marion as much as I could.
Yeah I moved to Charleston, and it didn't last long. You have to be able to look past a lot of problems, or else be able to buy your way around them.

That said I wouldn't consider Sumter to be a close alternative in any way. Maybe moncks corner or Summerville or something.

Last edited by le roi; 09-23-2016 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 04:39 PM

719 posts, read 1,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Yeah I moved to Charleston, and it didn't last long. You have to be able to look past a lot of problems, or else be able to buy your way around them.

That said I wouldn't consider Sumter to be a close alternative in any way. Maybe moncks corner or Summerville or something.
Moncks Corner is a real possibility and it would be great to be near Lake Moultrie but for me Sumter would still be a consideration. Being from the Seneca/Clemson area in the Upstate Sumter seems relatively close to Charleston.One thing is that I want to be closer to the coast but I don't necessarily have to be right on top of my brother when he moves to Charleston .lol A little distance might be ok. Right now I am looking for info on whats similar and whats changed about Sumter since I spent time there back in the 80s and 90s . One thing I am really curious about is what Sumter might be like for a single middle age , college educated guy.I took a look at some stats and the number of people with 4 year degree in Sumter is roughly same as the South Carolina average at just over 25 percent. My brother in law always told me as a single guy in Sumter he always had a great time. He was in his 20s and early 30s then . Thanks for giving me some ideas to think about. Summerville is a place I will keep in mind too.Thanks for the help.

Last edited by senecaman; 09-23-2016 at 05:47 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 03:47 PM

I gotcha. Well, two other places I'd consider are Georgetown and Camden. Possibly even Lake City. Not that I'm trying to steer you away from Sumter, just that there are a number of different options.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I gotcha. Well, two other places I'd consider are Georgetown and Camden. Possibly even Lake City. Not that I'm trying to steer you away from Sumter, just that there are a number of different options.
Thanks! Yeah both places would be worth looking into.I hadn't thought about either of them.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:27 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,562 times
Quote:
Camden is nice town, but Sumter is much bigger and has a bigger influx of younger people thanks to the military. For a single person, Sumter trumps Camden.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Camden is nice town, but Sumter is much bigger and has a bigger influx of younger people thanks to the military. For a single person, Sumter trumps Camden.
It seems a little strange that neither the city or the county have had much growth since 1990.I guess Florence County had been the beneficiary of growth at Sumter's expense (but the city of Florence is still slightly smaller than the city of Sumter).You would think that Sumter would be growing more since its not all that far from the beach and its close to Columbia and Lake Marion.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
as a single person from sumter i would rather live in camden. your mileage may vary.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
as a single person from sumter i would rather live in camden. your mileage may vary.
Interesting. Why is that?

Old 09-27-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Why is that?
i like the people in camden better. compared to sumter there's a larger % of highly-educated, very nice families in camden. growing up i always thought camden was a nice town, and when i went to college I met about 7 or 8 mroe people from camden who just reinforced that.

higher incomes, better fine arts, better established downtown (even though its like 1/5 of the size of sumter.) better places to eat and drink, lower poverty rate, lower crime rate, more historic, etc.

also i really like the hilly landscape north/northwest of camden, as well as lake wateree. you don't quite get that same sort of thing in sumter.

you're right there are probably fewer single young people in camden, but columbia isn't all that far away.

Last edited by le roi; 09-27-2016 at 07:37 PM..

Old 09-28-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
i like the people in camden better. compared to sumter there's a larger % of highly-educated, very nice families in camden. growing up i always thought camden was a nice town, and when i went to college I met about 7 or 8 mroe people from camden who just reinforced that.

higher incomes, better fine arts, better established downtown (even though its like 1/5 of the size of sumter.) better places to eat and drink, lower poverty rate, lower crime rate, more historic, etc.

also i really like the hilly landscape north/northwest of camden, as well as lake wateree. you don't quite get that same sort of thing in sumter.

you're right there are probably fewer single young people in camden, but columbia isn't all that far away.
Camden is indeed a nice place and I like the hills and Lake Wateree, too. I'd call the proximity to Columbia a draw between Sumter and Camden. Camden is farther away from Charleston, though, by a not insignificant amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina