Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 03:19 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times

Advertisements

I was doing some research on how much money colleges lose on sports and I came across this article regarding college baseball. LSU dwarfs most SEC brethren, others nationwide in baseball revenue, profit | LSU | theadvocate.com

Here's an excerpt:

'South Carolina was fourth in the SEC in ticket sales last year ($1.4 million), but the Gamecocks lost $1.2 million overall. Clemson and Virginia hover in the top 10 nationally in attendance. Those baseball programs lost $1 million and $2 million, according to documents released by the U.S. Department of Education.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 07:49 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,747 times
A friend who is a business Prof at USC Upstate, has written extensively on this subject.His position is that college athletics as a whole are severely in the red, including "big time" football schools, and that excess student fees are paying the freight at these big high profile schools(Clemson) even if the students don't bother picking up free tickets for home games.Heck, do students still even get free football tickets?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:27 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
A friend who is a business Prof at USC Upstate, has written extensively on this subject.His position is that college athletics as a whole are severely in the red, including "big time" football schools, and that excess student fees are paying the freight at these big high profile schools(Clemson) even if the students don't bother picking up free tickets for home games.Heck, do students still even get free football tickets?
I think Clemson is one of the few schools in the country where students get football tickets at no additional cost above the fees they already have to pay (I'd argue they still aren't really 'free').

Old 04-02-2018, 02:27 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Another big funding source to keep the departments afloat is the big time donors/alumni. Some schools might earn up to $40 million a year from donations alone, most earn usually in the $10-25 million range.

In 2015 colleges brought in $1.2 Billion in donations for their athletics:

Colleges Raised $1.2 Billion in Donations for Sports in 2015

Old 04-02-2018, 03:43 PM

I assume colleges are losing money on most of their sports programs despite the private donations. I know the new tennis center currently being constructed at Clemson is being funded by a large private donation by a couple that has donated to the tennis programs previously.

Clemson wanted to charge for tickets this past year but the students were not happy about it and the university dropped the idea.

Clemson has a lottery system in place for football tickets but it is my understanding the students who get the tickets and don't want to go to the games are not allowed to sell or give them to students who did not receive tickets via the lottery. Apparently is also difficult for students to get seats next to each other. It is a goofy setup.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-02-2018 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-02-2018, 08:36 PM

That's a dumb way to allocate a scarce resource.

30+ years ago all students got free tickets,but we had to stand in a line that often wrapped around two full sides of the library.

Today I saw what must be some of the last NE rowing teams heading back to Connecticut, or wherever after training on Hartwell.

I never thought I'd see the day when Clemson offered rowing scholorships, but then I also never thought that Easley would have a sushi restaurant!

Old 04-02-2018, 09:41 PM

They had the Clemson Regatta over the weekend. I was walking on the lake d-ikes while it was going on. It looked like a bunch of private high school rowing teams.

The Clemson Invitational is coming up soon. 2018 Clemson Invitational - Clemson Tigers Official Athletics Site

Participating Teams
Clemson University

Boston University

Cornell University

Duke University

Indiana University

Northeastern University

The Ohio State University

Oregon State University

Syracuse University

United States Naval Academy

University of California, Los Angeles

University of Central Florida

University of Louisville

University of Minnesota

University of Oklahoma

University of Southern California

University of Tennessee

University of Tulsa

University of Virginia

University of Wisconsin

Washington State University

I was over on the lake dik-es during the Invitational last year. It is pretty cool that little Clemson hosts all these large universities from all across the country.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:16 PM

About 15 years ago I was aquainted with a guy who was a publicist/ consultant who lived in Clemson.His position was that Clemson city and Clemson University missed an epic opportunity to capitalize on Lake Hartwell.The then college fought it,and the city council thought it was a nusaince. Can we even imagine what could have been accomplished if the city of Clemson had embraced the lake and developed accordingly.

There will not be another man made reservoir of this size built in my lifetime, most likely ever.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:10 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Quote:
About 15 years ago I was aquainted with a guy who was a publicist/ consultant who lived in Clemson.His position was that Clemson city and Clemson University missed an epic opportunity to capitalize on Lake Hartwell.The then college fought it,and the city council thought it was a nusaince. Can we even imagine what could have been accomplished if the city of Clemson had embraced the lake and developed accordingly.

There will not be another man made reservoir of this size built in my lifetime, most likely ever.
I think the city and university fought it because the original plan for the lake without d-ikes would have flooded a large part of the city and the campus. The fight against the lake is what brought in the d-ikes that saved the university and city from being underwater.

https://www.tigernet.com/forums/thre...readID=1214265

Old 04-05-2018, 09:14 AM

https://cufacilities.sites.clemson.e...RFP_lowres.pdf

I came across this long term master plan for the Clemson campus. They have maps of each section of campus that show the plans for each.

They are thinking about making two roundabouts on highway 93. The plan also has raised pedestrian sidewalks across 93 around Bowman Field, similar to those on that road through the Verdae neighborhood in Greenville. I'm not a big fan of those ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina