Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 09:47 AM

49 posts, read 45,705 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't have any idea where in SC I'd want to live, but let me give you a little information about myself and my family and perhaps some of you can enlighten me and steer me in the right direction of places to consider.

I guess employment wise I'd consider myself 'blue collar' (factory work, truck driving, gas & oil industry). We're active, so we'd want to be in a place with some 'life' to it. Sports for all ages, parks, entertainment, nightlife, but also we'd want to live in an area where we're not necessarily 'side by side' with neighbors, I don't have to live in the "active" area just close by. We've kind of got a 'country living' mentality with the interest of being 'city active'.

Some of the things that would be important is, safe neighborhoods, good schools, job market, and of course the other items I listed above.

I guess i should also ask what the house market is like. And is there any 'economical advantages' to SC over other states?

Area size, i dont nessarily want to be in the city, more of a suburb location vut as far as the city, how big or small it is doesnt greatly concern me. Im from the Williamsport, PA area but ive also lived in Pittsburgh, pa

feel free to ask me any questions if it'll help you help me. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 10:03 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times
The three biggest cities are Columbia, Greenville and Charleston.

You could find 'country living' in the Simpsonville, Traveler's Rest, Powdersville, Greer suburbs of Greenville. Anderson is about 30 minutes away from Greenville and it has some nice areas around highway 81 that are a little more rural. Anderson is close to Lake Hartwell. Anderson has a lower cost of living.

Greenville has a fantastic downtown area with a tree lined main street with a ton of restaurants and bars, and a 30 foot drop waterfall right next to it with a massive pedestrian bridge right over it and a nice park around it. It has a minor league baseball stadium near the waterfall and there is a minor league hockey team playing at the arena nearby. Clemson University is 45 minutes away if you like college sports. Football and basketball games are a blast there.

The Greenville and western part of SC known as the Upstate is near the Blue Ridge mountains. You can see the mountains in the distance from various points in the Upstate. Greenville itself has a little mountain, Paris Mountain, that has a state park. There are a ton of waterfalls and mountain overlooks and hiking trails nearby, and Lakes Jocasse and Keowee are clear water lakes at the base of the mountains. The whitewater river Chattooga (the river that the movie Deliverance was filmed on) is about 1.5 hours from Greenville.

You might want to check out VisitGreenvilleSC.com for a comprehensive look at Greenville.

I'll let other people talk about burbs in the other 2 metros that might work for you.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
wwhichok:

Where in South Carolina have you considered to locate so far?

Old 03-27-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
wwhichok:

Where in South Carolina have you considered to locate so far?
Honestly, I haven't specifically looked at anywhere yet. We probably won't actually move until sometime next year, so I've just started doing some research.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

You could find 'country living' in the Simpsonville, Traveler's Rest, Powdersville, Greer suburbs of Greenville. Anderson is about 30 minutes away from Greenville and it has some nice areas around highway 81 that are a little more rural. Anderson is close to Lake Hartwell. Anderson has a lower cost of living.

Greenville has a fantastic downtown area with a tree lined main street with a ton of restaurants and bars, and a 30 foot drop waterfall right next to it with a massive pedestrian bridge right over it and a nice park around it. It has a minor league baseball stadium near the waterfall and there is a minor league hockey team playing at the arena nearby. Clemson University is 45 minutes away if you like college sports. Football and basketball games are a blast there.

The Greenville and western part of SC known as the Upstate is near the Blue Ridge mountains. You can see the mountains in the distance from various points in the Upstate. Greenville itself has a little mountain, Paris Mountain, that has a state park. There are a ton of waterfalls and mountain overlooks and hiking trails nearby, and Lakes Jocasse and Keowee are clear water lakes at the base of the mountains. The whitewater river Chattooga (the river that the movie Deliverance was filmed on) is about 1.5 hours from Greenville.

You might want to check out VisitGreenvilleSC.com for a comprehensive look at Greenville.

I'll let other people talk about burbs in the other 2 metros that might work for you.
I'm a Pittsburgh Sports and PSU fan. The Greenville area does sound intriguing. What is the public schooling like?

Old 03-27-2018, 12:19 PM

18 posts, read 15,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

You could find 'country living' in the Simpsonville, Traveler's Rest, Powdersville, Greer suburbs of Greenville.
I wouldn't exactly call those places "country living". Maybe Traveler's Rest is close but the other three are all pretty are very typical suburbs and are very busy. If you really want "country living" within the Greenville area I'd look at southern Greenville county, rural Anderson county (between Powdersville and Anderson) and the areas up towards Dacusville. They're all pretty rural while remaining reasonably close to Greenville. If good schools are also important, I'd definitely go with Piedmont/Pelzer/Williamston and the areas in between in Anderson county.

As for economic advantages, you can find a lot of blue collar and industrial work in this state. Housing costs here are pretty cheap compared to the rest of the nation. Gas prices are also some of the cheapest.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:24 PM

The outskirts of Simpsonville / Fountain Inn are definitely rural while also being closer to the main shopping areas in Greenville with an easy drive up I-385.

I know a couple of guys that have little farms around 418 in the Fountain Inn area.

I think even the suburban areas around Woodruff Road in Greenville have a country feel to them. The Powdersville neighorborhoods are going to seem like country living to a lot of people.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
What is the public schooling like?
Going by school scores, most of the schools outside of the poorer areas to the west of the downtown area have decent ratings. In my view, and this is generally a minority view on these forums, the school scores don't tell you anything about the teachers.

I went to schools in another part of the state with pretty low school scores and I was able to get into Clemson University. My freshman calculus, physics, and chemistry classes were nearly identical to those that I took in high school. I felt like the teachers at my K-12 schools in SC prepared me for college.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-27-2018 at 12:47 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 01:04 PM

18 posts, read 15,523 times
It really depends on what "country living" means to you. When I saw that term I thought of areas more rural than what you listed ClemVegas.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:56 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
I honestly don't have any idea where in SC I'd want to live, but let me give you a little information about myself and my family and perhaps some of you can enlighten me and steer me in the right direction of places to consider.

I guess employment wise I'd consider myself 'blue collar' (factory work, truck driving, gas & oil industry). We're active, so we'd want to be in a place with some 'life' to it. Sports for all ages, parks, entertainment, nightlife, but also we'd want to live in an area where we're not necessarily 'side by side' with neighbors, I don't have to live in the "active" area just close by. We've kind of got a 'country living' mentality with the interest of being 'city active'.

Some of the things that would be important is, safe neighborhoods, good schools, job market, and of course the other items I listed above.

I guess i should also ask what the house market is like. And is there any 'economical advantages' to SC over other states?

Area size, i dont nessarily want to be in the city, more of a suburb location vut as far as the city, how big or small it is doesnt greatly concern me. Im from the Williamsport, PA area but ive also lived in Pittsburgh, pa

feel free to ask me any questions if it'll help you help me. Thanks in advance.
Since Clemvegas already killed the Greenville’s advertisement as he usually does. I’d check around Chapin, Gilbert, Blythewood or Camden in the Columbia area. All are close enough to Columba for large city amenities but offer your spacious living in a country atmosphere. Schools in these areas are fine especially on the Chapin area. As far as sports...there’s a SEC sports atmosphere with USC right in downtown Columbia. Along with that there’s two minor league baseball teams, on in Columbia and Lexington. Nightlife, there’s plenty of that with The Vista, Devine street and rapidly growing Main Street. Entertainment venues include Music Farm, Koger Center, Township Auditorium, and Colonial Life Arena. Just to give an example, a big concert coming up is the Jay-Z and Beyoncé concert at USCs footballs stadium. As far as parks there’s plenty of those whether it be state, city or national.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina