Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 12:59 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times

Advertisements

Advanced Placement: All high schools/districts required to offer AP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:07 PM

1,180 posts, read 983,414 times
I remember my high school chemistry teacher saying that South Carolina's top students were just as good as top students from anywhere else. It's that SC fails it's college-prep and under achieving students.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:20 PM

I think that is a baseless assertion in that there is no evidence that these under achieving students would perform better in another state's schools. In my view, if a student is failing classes in multiple subjects with teachers that have varying teaching styles and background, it is likely they are going to struggle at any school in any state.

Also, I don't think this chemistry professor knew the majority of under achieving students in the state. I don't understand how he can blame SC schools for the performance of students of which he has no independent knowledge.

I assume this high school teacher doesn't think he is failing these under achieving students while he asserts that numerous other teachers hired by the same school system are failing these students.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:57 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
I have no anecdotal evidence to support this but I'm gonna wager that most of SC's top performing students are children of northern and midwest transplants anyways. I'm sure there is some home grown talent out there but if you look at where the AP scores are coming from (Suburban areas like Mount Pleasant, Lexington, the SC side of Charlotte, GSP) these are growing communities thanks almost entirely to people moving here from NJ, NY, Mass, Ohio, PA, VA, etc..... I'm guessing places like Orangeburg, Dillon and Hartsville aren't producing a whole lot of these test takers and or test scores.

I'll point out though that while the state mandates these courses be made available there is no objective definition of what is meant by "adequate amount of students". Schools might say we need to have 10 kids enroll in AP Lit to justify the course. If they get 9 then too bad kids. So it's not so much SC is "forcing" as much as it is the state saying "we're footing the bill so go ahead and offer it up if you can or if they want to" (which by the way in other states families foot the AP price tag, in SC the state takes up that task).

Buddy of mine started an AP Macroecon course years ago at his school by giving up one of his planning periods and they enrolled 8 kids in it. BUT only because he was willing to give up a planning period and take no additional compensation. In a union state this scenario would never have happened unless he agreed to be compensated and rightfully so. I'll point that he was the one who took the initiative to start the course, not the kids, not the parents, not the school, not the state.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:22 PM

I'm not sure how it is relevant what state a kid is from if he is attending school in SC. A high percentage of people who are called natives in SC have at least one parent or grandparent that didn't grow up in SC. I doubt there are many people in SC who have ancestors that lived in SC during the slavery and Civil War era. SC's population was very small at the end of the Civil War and black people actually outnumbered white people at that time.

Many of the people who grow up in SC go to college in the state and then get jobs in the metros that you listed. Going to college in the state gives people an advantage in getting a job in SC.

Hartsville has two of the best employers in the state, Sonoco and one of Duke Energy's nuclear power plants. The high school offers AP classes and an IB program.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:24 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,290,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
I have no anecdotal evidence to support this but I'm gonna wager that most of SC's top performing students are children of northern and midwest transplants anyways.
That is a ridiculous statement. My daughter graduated near the top of her class and she is certainly not the child of transplants.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I'm not sure how it is relevant what state a kid is from if he is attending school in SC. A high percentage of people who are called natives in SC have at least one parent or grandparent that didn't grow up in SC. I doubt there are many people in SC who have ancestors that lived in SC during the slavery and Civil War era. SC's population was very small at the end of the Civil War and black people actually outnumbered white people at that time.
All of my ancestors hailed from SC at the time of the civil war. All of the men fought for the confederacy.

I don't see how that has any relation to academic performance.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:45 AM

I am too lazy to doublecheck this, but a couple of years ago I compared the number of people living in SC at the end of the Civil War, 1865, to the present and it was approximately 10 percent of the present day population.

That would mean 9 out of 10 people in SC have post Civil War transplant blood in them.

I grew up in SC and took AP classes. My mother's ancestors were farmers in small town SC but my father's family moved here when he was in 11th grade. I get classified as a native despite only being 50 percent native by blood.

I think buckeye is right in the sense most transplants are middle class or wealthy and the kids of middle class and wealthy people tend do better in school than the kids of poor people. If poor people were moving down to SC from those states, their kids probably would not be boosting the academic stats of our schools.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:01 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,842,664 times
Quote:
I am too lazy to doublecheck this, but a couple of years ago I compared the number of people living in SC at the end of the Civil War, 1865, to the present and it was approximately 10 percent of the present day population.

That would mean 9 out of 10 people in SC have post Civil War transplant blood in them.
That's not what it means, as it is possible for South Carolinians to be fruitful and multiply.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:

I grew up in SC and took AP classes. My mother's ancestors were farmers in small town SC but my father's family moved here when he was in 11th grade. I get classified as a native despite only being 50 percent native by blood.

I think buckeye is right in the sense most transplants are middle class or wealthy and the kids of middle class and wealthy people tend do better in school than the kids of poor people. If poor people were moving down to SC from those states, their kids probably would not be boosting the academic stats of our schools.
My mother was one of 7 children in her family. Her father was one of 12 (10 survived to adulthood). Some of the farming families had a lot of children, which grew the population even before the influx of people from outside of SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina