Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 07:27 AM

10 posts, read 6,180 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to South Carolina in a couple years to escape the harsh winters and high taxes of Central New York. The property taxes in SC are attractive enough when compared to NY but the homestead exemption makes it even more appealing. I see that you have to be 65 or older to qualify for this exemption but does that mean both spouses of a married couple have to be 65 or just one? My wife is 2 years younger than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 08:06 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,990,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swisscheese315 View Post
We are considering relocating to South Carolina in a couple years to escape the harsh winters and high taxes of Central New York. The property taxes in SC are attractive enough when compared to NY but the homestead exemption makes it even more appealing. I see that you have to be 65 or older to qualify for this exemption but does that mean both spouses of a married couple have to be 65 or just one? My wife is 2 years younger than me.
Are you selling your home in NY or keeping it?

Old 09-21-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Are you selling your home in NY or keeping it?
We will be selling and using the proceeds to purchase a new home when we relocate.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:32 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,452,938 times
As long as one spouse is over 65 and you pay taxes in arrears so it’s really two years before you can apply but then the previous year’s taxes drop. It’s kind of confusing. But you can google the county you’re interested in and look at the information. They can explain it better.

We were told ours will drop approximately $500.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:14 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,297,240 times
There are multiple property tax exemptions and rate schedules in SC. You have the homestead exemption for those over 65, a different rate for your primary residence vs. other property, and an exemption on the school tax. It can be confusing but I think it all gets explained in this PDF from Lexington County:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1PfqghYXkLeSFw

Old 09-21-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
There are multiple property tax exemptions and rate schedules in SC. You have the homestead exemption for those over 65, a different rate for your primary residence vs. other property, and an exemption on the school tax. It can be confusing but I think it all gets explained in this PDF from Lexington County:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1PfqghYXkLeSFw
Thanks for the link which is very helpful. I assume that it means when one of the property owners turns 65 and not both but it really doesn't specifically state that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina