Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 12:29 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I think if you ask football fans outside of SC, they’d say LSU. They just have a longer history of people using the term.
They'd be wrong though. I think generally those people would be the same people who hype up the SEC and assume that LSU must have been the original Death Valley because it is in the SEC.

LSU should go with something Bayou given its location. Clemson is in a hilly area plus there is a cemetery right next to the stadium so Death Valley makes more sense for Clemson.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-25-2018 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 12:36 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Huh?? I just pointed out that the 2nd best team in the country gave up a ton of yards to a mediocre team. Of course Clemson is far superior to USC. Who said anything different? You won't be playing USC in the playoffs.
No team is perfect. Even the top ones. And rivals do change things. They weren't perfect last time they won it all. It's hard to play the same every time. I know from experience. It's about who makes the least mistakes. Brent is one of the best defensive minds in college football. They've only had 2 games like that. They'll make adjustments.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:50 PM

SC got a break with two bad calls by the ref last night, one that took away a touchdown by Clemson and the other kept one of SC's touchdown drives alive.

Also, Dabo was playing a lot of backups in the 4th quarter while SC still had starters out there. That late Clemson fumble was by DIxon, the 4th RB.

I think most coaches would have played ETN the entire game with the playoffs on the line but Dabo plays all 4 RBs.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:06 PM

Speaking of Clemson's defense, it stopped SC on downs twice near the goal line. A lot of SC's pass yardage in the game resulted in 0 points.

And then a Clemson backup intercepted Bentley late in the first half. The starter was out for the game.

On SC's first drive or two, they caught a lot of passes deflected by Clemson. It reminded of Clemson's game at Texas AM this year where they caught a lot of deflected balls.

I'm pretty proud of that win at Texas AM after the no. 7 team in the country LSU could not pull off the win with 7 overtime tries at it. Clemson is the only team to win at College Station this season.

SC will be losing Deebo and possibly Edwards at WR , and Clemson will still have the main WRs next year except Renfrow, and Clemson has more stud WRs freshmen coming to campus this year.

I'm surprised SC didn't beat Kentucky and Florida this year because they are much better at QB and WR than those teams in my view.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-25-2018 at 01:19 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 01:18 PM

513 posts, read 576,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
SC got a break with two bad calls by the ref last night, one that took away a touchdown by Clemson and the other kept one of SC's touchdown drives alive.

Also, Dabo was playing a lot of backups in the 4th quarter while SC still had starters out there. That late Clemson fumble was by DIxon, the 4th RB.

I think most coaches would have played ETN the entire game with the playoffs on the line but Dabo plays all 4 RBs.
Clemson also got some favorable calls as well as some favorable no calls.

Dabo had some backups on but not many, and put them all back in in the fourth. SC had starters on offense, but the Clemson offense went up against SCs 2nd and 3rd stringers on defense THE ENTIRE GAME. For one stretch we had 6 true freshman playing on defense, some for the first meaningful time, and for two series we didn't have a single starter out there (most of which were backups to begin with). Clemson has a great offense, no doubt, but it would have been a little more competitive with the SC true first string. We were also using our number 3 and 4 running backs most of the time, also due to injury.

It is what it is. Clemson is certainly better and way deeper, but was mostly full strength at home while we were severely short, especially on defense. Our offense and your defense certainly surprised me. If we had been healthier it might very well have been a last second game or even a shot for SC to win despite the talent gap.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
Clemson also got some favorable calls as well as some favorable no calls.

Dabo had some backups on but not many, and put them all back in in the fourth. SC had starters on offense, but the Clemson offense went up against SCs 2nd and 3rd stringers on defense THE ENTIRE GAME. For one stretch we had 6 true freshman playing on defense, some for the first meaningful time, and for two series we didn't have a single starter out there (most of which were backups to begin with). Clemson has a great offense, no doubt, but it would have been a little more competitive with the SC true first string. We were also using our number 3 and 4 running backs most of the time, also due to injury.

It is what it is. Clemson is certainly better and way deeper, but was mostly full strength at home while we were severely short, especially on defense. Our offense and your defense certainly surprised me. If we had been healthier it might very well have been a last second game or even a shot for SC to win despite the talent gap.
Name one favorable call that Clemson got last night that resulted in keeping a Clemson drive alive on 3rd down or took away a touchdown from SC.

The announcers both thought those two calls were bad.

I think SC's main weakness was on defense even with the starters this year. I think Clemson would have scored more if SC was able to able to hold its own on the run up the middle, b/c then Lawrence would be throwing it more which is likely to lead to quicker TDs. Lawrence had about 400 yards passing and it didn't seem like Clemson threw it that much in the game.

This could have been a closer game if your team had scored touchdowns on those two possessions near the goal line.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-25-2018 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 02:19 PM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
I think the Clemson Kool-Aid drinkers are out in force. Only time will tell, but the Clemson defense looked bad last night.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:31 PM

And yet it stopped SC from scoring twice at goaline.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:47 PM

Pretty sure no Clemson fan thought the defense played great last night.

It seems like you dismiss how well Bentley and his WRs played when you say Clemson d is terrible.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:23 PM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
And yet it stopped SC from scoring twice at goaline.
I’m consistently unable to define your logic, but stopping an SC team that has had trouble running the ball all season twice at the goal line is what you took away from that? I’d be more concerned about the 600 yards and 35 points they gave up.

Then again, I’m old enough not to drink any teams kool-aid. Even Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina