Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:56 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
...Corner of Main and Liberty is J. O’Gradys. Casual pub style food with lots of beer options.
The perfect place, thanks for the tip. We got there too late for food but had a ball talking with Drew over a few drinks. He may be Sumter's best ambassador, very encouraged and optimistic about downtown Sumter. Great concert, nice hotel, good food, great weather. A fun visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 07:04 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
... I would be curious on an outsiders perspective and in comparison to other small SC Cities...
A couple nights in an unfamiliar city is probably not a good basis for expressing opinions, but what the hail...

We stayed at the new Hyatt directly across from the Opera House, and most of our walk-around time was spent within a few blocks along Main Street. We thoroughly enjoyed it. I can see the Hyatt easily becoming an anchor for this part of Sumter, encouraging additional development. There was a large wedding party the first night, the hotel was very busy the second night for the show at the Opera House, and signs indicated a regional conference of some sort in the coming week. I was very impressed by the overall amount of renovation going on along several blocks of Main. Many of the buildings were being very nicely preserved, and where there was modernization, it was being done respectfully. The old courthouse appeared to be getting a major renovation, which can only help the area, and the churches in this area are beautiful structures. We had the chance to chat with a couple locals who were excited and optimistic about downtown revitalization, which is always a good sign.

Downtown dining options have not caught up to the growth, but I suspect that will follow. Most of the places within walking distance seemed to be bar food. The one place that appeared to be more upscale dining (Hamptons) did not have a website, nor did they have a menu posted outside the restaurant. Rather than walk in cold, we passed on them. The outdoor smoker at SideBar smelled wonderful. We missed it this time, but it’s probably worth a day trip just to try their brisket. On the down side, there were no obvious signs of renovation extending beyond a few blocks of Main, or at least the type that would encourage downtown visitation. That may be unfair, but if it was there, we missed it. The new county admin buildings along Canal St were impressive, but I didn’t see signs of those having yet led to supporting growth.

We were impressed with downtown Sumter, loved the Opera House and are looking forward to returning soon. I liked Sumter far more so than Florence, probably the closest comparison, which I don’t find to be particularly inviting. Spartanburg is a small city I’m more familiar with, and IMO it is considerably further along in downtown revitalization than is Sumter. It’s probably a poor comparison because Spartanburg benefits considerably from two well-known colleges, BMW and all the associated businesses, as well as spill-over development from Greenville. Still, Sumter and Spartanburg have much in common as far as their histories are concerned, so maybe it represents an idea of where Sumter will be a few years from now.

To digress a minute, the memory we took home from this trip was one of the most exceptional meals we’ve had in a long time. The Simply Southern Bistro is a small unassuming restaurant in a little strip of shops near the mall. It would have never occurred to us to even pull in if someone had not mentioned it at the hotel. The grilled bone-in pork chop may have been the best chop I’ve ever eaten, and my Grandma would have been proud to serve their collards. To top it off, the entree prices were roughly comparable to what we pay for apps in Pawleys. I cannot imagine why that treasure did not have a line extending out the door on a Friday night.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:35 PM

8,235 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
A couple nights in an unfamiliar city is probably not a good basis for expressing opinions, but what the hail...

We stayed at the new Hyatt directly across from the Opera House, and most of our walk-around time was spent within a few blocks along Main Street. We thoroughly enjoyed it. I can see the Hyatt easily becoming an anchor for this part of Sumter, encouraging additional development. There was a large wedding party the first night, the hotel was very busy the second night for the show at the Opera House, and signs indicated a regional conference of some sort in the coming week. I was very impressed by the overall amount of renovation going on along several blocks of Main. Many of the buildings were being very nicely preserved, and where there was modernization, it was being done respectfully. The old courthouse appeared to be getting a major renovation, which can only help the area, and the churches in this area are beautiful structures. We had the chance to chat with a couple locals who were excited and optimistic about downtown revitalization, which is always a good sign.

Downtown dining options have not caught up to the growth, but I suspect that will follow. Most of the places within walking distance seemed to be bar food. The one place that appeared to be more upscale dining (Hamptons) did not have a website, nor did they have a menu posted outside the restaurant. Rather than walk in cold, we passed on them. The outdoor smoker at SideBar smelled wonderful. We missed it this time, but it’s probably worth a day trip just to try their brisket. On the down side, there were no obvious signs of renovation extending beyond a few blocks of Main, or at least the type that would encourage downtown visitation. That may be unfair, but if it was there, we missed it. The new county admin buildings along Canal St were impressive, but I didn’t see signs of those having yet led to supporting growth.

We were impressed with downtown Sumter, loved the Opera House and are looking forward to returning soon. I liked Sumter far more so than Florence, probably the closest comparison, which I don’t find to be particularly inviting. Spartanburg is a small city I’m more familiar with, and IMO it is considerably further along in downtown revitalization than is Sumter. It’s probably a poor comparison because Spartanburg benefits considerably from two well-known colleges, BMW and all the associated businesses, as well as spill-over development from Greenville. Still, Sumter and Spartanburg have much in common as far as their histories are concerned, so maybe it represents an idea of where Sumter will be a few years from now.

To digress a minute, the memory we took home from this trip was one of the most exceptional meals we’ve had in a long time. The Simply Southern Bistro is a small unassuming restaurant in a little strip of shops near the mall. It would have never occurred to us to even pull in if someone had not mentioned it at the hotel. The grilled bone-in pork chop may have been the best chop I’ve ever eaten, and my Grandma would have been proud to serve their collards. To top it off, the entree prices were roughly comparable to what we pay for apps in Pawleys. I cannot imagine why that treasure did not have a line extending out the door on a Friday night.

North of Liberty St. seems to be where you spent most of your time and is certainly the area of Main St that has redeveloped the most. There is still more work to be done on South Main... You are also right in that a block east or west of Main doesn't really offer a visitor much though there may be more "business/institutional" "government" related with Government Offices, Law Offices, and the Hospital in close proximity. South Main does have a solid anchor in the CC Tech College Facility that is down there.. but the gaps in between that and Liberty Street still need to fill in. It will get there but it will take a little more time.

Interesting that you view Florence as being to be less inviting than Sumter...I think the Opera House being right on Main Street downtown gives it that advantage.. Florence has the Little Theatre and the FMU Performing Arts Center.. but those are a few blocks off of Evans "Main Street" and across some wide streets which may make it appear less accessible from the heart of the action.. Florence has a new Hyatt Place that just opened along with the boutique Hotel Florence as well.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:46 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Church’s is still there. Corner of Washington and Liberty about 2 blocks west of Main. It closed last year for “renovations” and sat untouched for 6 months. Then suddenly, it was open again. Never noticed any work being done and I drive by daily.

If you are suffering from constipation, pick up a 2 piece dark combo. You’ll be clear by morning.
The renovation part was just a disguised to what really was going on. I heard the original owner wasn't paying his taxes, and lost the business that way.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:35 AM

35 posts, read 27,595 times
Today the Item published an article pertaining to the new brewery that will be opening at the corner of Main and Liberty St. including an artist rendering of what it will look like once construction is completed in early 2020. Very promising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina