Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 07:41 PM

21 posts, read 16,189 times

Advertisements

Ok thanks UpstateJohn will try that. I'll let you know what i find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 06:35 AM

21 posts, read 16,189 times
My last post didn't show up either. I listened to the raccoon call on You Tube but t its not it either.
I heard it again yesterday evening but it wasnt as long and by the time i got my phone set up to record it it stopped. Wouldnt you know! I'm not hearing it as much as i did early spring. It must be some kind of mating thing. I was hearing it every single night from the same location for over a month and now i don't hear I as much now and its in a new location too.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:58 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,686,741 times
Snipe maybe?

Old 07-06-2020, 02:09 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,677 times
I would never describe it as a whistle, but how about a tree frog? Much closer to a squeaky toy. We have some that live behind our shutters, and they are loud, particularly on spring evenings.

Go to https://www.leaps.ms/soundpage.htm and click on the “call” button for green tree frog.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:59 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
I always always described pond frogs as having a croaking sound and tree frogs having a barking sound. I have both.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:44 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
I would never describe it as a whistle, but how about a tree frog? Much closer to a squeaky toy. We have some that live behind our shutters, and they are loud, particularly on spring evenings.

Go to https://www.leaps.ms/soundpage.htm and click on the “call” button for green tree frog.
I thought maybe tree frogs too. The tree frogs serenades us often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bzotS1ow0Q

Old 07-08-2020, 01:41 PM

401 posts, read 379,083 times
Came here to say tree frogs as others have mentioned.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:22 AM

25,717 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinggal_00 View Post
I'm at it again with the questions
What creature makes a loud ( whistle sound) at nightime? It's coming from a tree in the back yard. It sounds like a Whistle or a squeaky toy if you know what i mean? Its hard to describe but it does sound like a squeaky toy. Its been driving me nuts. It always starts after dark and lasts for several hours. I'm thinking its some kind of bird but i really don't know.
Thanks for any response
Possibly a Limpkin. They vocalize at night, and are quite loud. They are typically found as far North as the Okeefenokee swamp, but can range 250 miles from their nesting areas, and like low country type settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW1-e6NGcBY

There are a pair living in a rookerie area in the center of a neighborhood near me, and they are so loud, the community is trying to have them moved.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:16 AM

7 posts, read 9,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinggal_00 View Post
I'm at it again with the questions
What creature makes a loud ( whistle sound) at nightime? It's coming from a tree in the back yard. It sounds like a Whistle or a squeaky toy if you know what i mean? Its hard to describe but it does sound like a squeaky toy. Its been driving me nuts. It always starts after dark and lasts for several hours. I'm thinking its some kind of bird but i really don't know.
Thanks for any response
Is it possible what your hearing is bats? I'm under attack by the little things, and people are dumbfounded when I tell them I have been having to safeguard against them! Uuugghhh!!

Old 03-12-2021, 05:46 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,132,164 times
Cicadas have prominent eyes set wide apart, short antennae, and membranous front wings. They have an exceptionally loud song, produced in most species by the rapid buckling and unbuckling of drumlike tymbals.

Cut and paste from Wikipedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina