Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 04:24 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Wonder if they will get to Sumter? I guess the city is too far from an interstate as the Sumter exit on 95 is very rural
My guess is that Sumter is too close to Florence. Their stores are more of a destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 04:26 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 13 days ago)

729 posts, read 345,256 times
How does a college you don't attend add value to your life? WHy would I want to see a bunch of generic student housing in my city or live in student housing.

I feel like most people if they had to choose between Florence and Greenville NC would choose Florence partly because its not dominated by a big college.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-09-2023 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-09-2023, 04:36 PM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I don't get the appeal of a university unless you attended, plan to attend, or plan to be a sidewalk fan of their athletics.

I don't see a difference between Francis Marion and East Carolina outside of a football team.
Quote:
How does a college you don't attend add value to your life? WHy would I want to see a bunch of generic student housing in my city or live in student housing.

I feel like most people if they had to choose between Florence and Greenville NC would choose Florence.

I hear what you are saying and it's all about preference. I grew up in Columbia and i can tell you alot of people pulled for the gamecocks and never set foot on the campus.If there is a lot of talent on the team and they are winning or even playing ranked or popular opponents people will come just to be a part of the action. Again its about preferences but football is big in the Carolinas and the south in general but it may vary from school to school
As for Greenville NC vs Florence. Florence doesn't feel like a college town which is a good thing ...someone from Greenville may disagree and we will get in to a city vs city thread which usually gets shut down. Lol

Old 05-09-2023, 04:42 PM

Most of those people didn't move there because of the college.

Most people who went to college would travel back to that college for football games rather than go to a different college's games in town.

I could be talked into going to a NASCAR race if I lived in Florence because Darlington is close but I wouldn't move there because of it. I never went to one race growing up down there.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:32 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:

I feel like most people if they had to choose between Florence and Greenville NC would choose Florence partly because its not dominated by a big college.
If that university has a medical school/hospital system, as ECU does, then the benefit should be obvious.

Old 05-12-2023, 09:12 AM

Every city has a hospital. Florence has at least two.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:28 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,969 times
The difference is Greenville, NC has the “flagship medical center” for ECU Health. It’s a Level 1 trauma center (I had no idea about this till Mutiny mentioned it). Not all hospitals offer the breadth of treatment and certainly few are Level 1 trauma centers.

Check this out, pretty interesting breakdown:

https://scdhec.gov/sc-trauma-system

Old 05-12-2023, 03:57 PM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
I don't get the appeal of a university unless you attended, plan to attend, or plan to be a sidewalk fan of their athletics.

I don't see a difference between Francis Marion and East Carolina outside of a football team.
Cultural events if inclined and there is a tangible buzz that large format academia (20K+ universities) brings to a town. There is a reason why there has been a shift away from traditional retiree spots to college towns for those who don't want to sit around and rot, or play the occasional round of golf.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
The difference is Greenville, NC has the “flagship medical center” for ECU Health. It’s a Level 1 trauma center (I had no idea about this till Mutiny mentioned it). Not all hospitals offer the breadth of treatment and certainly few are Level 1 trauma centers.

Check this out, pretty interesting breakdown:

https://scdhec.gov/sc-trauma-system
Precisely, but I'm sure the response will be something along the lines of "a hospital is a hospital, nobody knows what a Level 1 trauma center is."

Old 05-12-2023, 08:12 PM

I think that's a true statement. What is the probability somebody would move to a city because it has a Level 1 trauma center? I think the main reasons people move to Greenville NC are similar to the generals reason people move to Florence, jobs, less traffic, climate , cost of living, proximity to the beach. Greenville's job market is mostly manufacturing which doesn't generally appeal to people who get excited about "college towns".

Most people would probably also be surprised you are talking about a Greenville NC hospital trauma designation on a topic about Florence SC. Greenville is 3 hours away from Florence.

The McLeod hospital in Florence is a level II trauma center. From a Google search hit, "main difference is that the level II trauma center does not have the research and publication requirements of a level I trauma center". In other words, you get the same care at both if you are injured. It would not be much of a hospital if they couldn't provide care for traumatic injuries.

Florence is actually closer to Wilmington than Greenville is. A Florence resident lives within 2 hours of the most happening part of coastal Carolinas from Wilmington to Charleston.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-12-2023 at 09:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina