Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 01:59 AM

246 posts, read 205,142 times

Advertisements

I just know there was such a hue and cry over why open carry of firearms by CWP holders was such a bad thing --- wondering what it looks like in actual practice, here a month later?

I haven't heard of it even being an issue. I would rarely have a need for open carry, but I can say that now, I am less cautious about the possibility of my everyday carry being visible at the top of my pocket (Ruger LC9S in a Sticky Holster, an invention that is one of the seven wonders of the world). When open carry was illegal, that was a pain, to have to worry about whether your weapon could be seen by anybody.

During the open carry debate, I always wanted to ask "and what problems is open carry causing in all those other states, problems that they have and we don't?".

I didn't think so. Big bunch of nothing. I'd just have open carry and constitutional carry, but evidently, the latter is causing problems in other states that we don't want here. Any statistics on that?

Let me be clear that anyone who is going to own a gun, needs to be well-versed in how to use it safely. Go to the range often and hone your proficiency. And always remember the four rules of gun safety. Your finger does not belong on that trigger unless you're ready to shoot. Burn that into your brain. I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 07:07 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,861,874 times
I don't go out in crowds much besides Costco, Sam's, church and work, but I haven't noticed anyone open carrying at all.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:00 AM

13,028 posts, read 18,890,348 times
I haven't seen anyone. If I do I'll be thankful I didn't accidentally bump into them or get shoved into them by someone else. I don't want a gun-carrier ticked at me. I read the news. If I do accidentally bump into them or get shoved into them, I'll hope they have some discipline to go along with that license.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:36 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,224,576 times
I bought my first open carry holster about an hour ago. I’ll start open carrying a little to get used to it ,but only non volitile places,biking, hiking and fishing type situations. I haven’t heard of a single issue, and sc has’t turned into Chicago! A couple years back we helped our daughters family move from just outside Detroit where nobody can carry, to way up north near Traverse City, where ever pick up truck driving fellow has a piece on his side at the gas pump. I feel safer among the later than the former.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:53 PM

17,711 posts, read 15,457,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
I bought my first open carry holster about an hour ago. I’ll start open carrying a little to get used to it ,but only non volitile places,biking, hiking and fishing type situations. I haven’t heard of a single issue, and sc has’t turned into Chicago! A couple years back we helped our daughters family move from just outside Detroit where nobody can carry, to way up north near Traverse City, where ever pick up truck driving fellow has a piece on his side at the gas pump. I feel safer among the later than the former.

Well, yeah, but i'd feel safer in the middle of the DMZ than I would in Detroit, so.. Not sure that's a great comparison.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:31 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,224,576 times
Simple point that law abiding, hard working, folks going about their daily activities while openly carrying, hasn’t caused a problem anywhere. If you have information to the contrary, please enlighten us.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:54 PM

13,028 posts, read 18,890,348 times
Quote:
Simple point that law abiding, hard working, folks going about their daily activities while openly carrying, hasn’t caused a problem anywhere. If you have information to the contrary, please enlighten us.
I didn’t expect a news story reflecting a problem already.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:46 PM

17,711 posts, read 15,457,909 times
Quote:

Nope. Not that I would have expected that.

What I am a little surprised about is that there haven't been these two issues.. Which, perhaps there have been and we just haven't heard about

1) Someone calling the cops saying "There's a guy with a gun on Main St!"

2) The guy who gets snotty when a business (let's just say a bank) has a sign saying "No Concealed Carry permitted"

The first one.. I'd kinda imagine we all would expect at some point. And, perhaps it's happened and the cops bothered to ask "Well, what's he doing?" and when the answer was "Walking down main st".. They explained/let it go.

The second.. We kinda sit here and say "Well, noone would do that".. But, yeah. You wouldn't expect someone to raise a stink over wearing a mask on a plane, either, but.. That happens.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:51 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,144,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I haven't seen anyone. If I do I'll be thankful I didn't accidentally bump into them or get shoved into them by someone else. I don't want a gun-carrier ticked at me. I read the news. If I do accidentally bump into them or get shoved into them, I'll hope they have some discipline to go along with that license.
The majority of states have concealed carry and/or open carry. Some states have permitless carry. Some have constitutional carry

Being afraid of law abiding citizens with guns is complete rubbish

Old 09-18-2021, 05:42 AM

2,913 posts, read 1,900,846 times
As a NY resident with a NY unrestricted pistol license (Essentially it's a conceal carry license) I would love the ability to have open carry. Not so much that I would do it all the time but in many cases outside the waist holsters with a jacket over are way more comfortable than IWB. more options are better. Especially for activities like hiking. It also reduces our fear of getting jammed up if we happen to print or show at a non ideal time if you happen to be moving around or active.

Not that I would open carry often I would love the ability to do so and just the reassurance that if you end up being "unconcealed" then no big deal.

This makes SC an even more appealing destination to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina