Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 02:17 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

Charleston-North Charleston 20,600

All other metros combined 18,700
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 08:58 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
If two cities have their names on an airport, they share a job market as well.

BMW is in Spartanburg County but closer to the Greenville burbs.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 10-25-2023 at 09:15 AM..

Old 10-25-2023, 11:34 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post

I'm fairly sure the the name of an airport has 0 correlation to the job market.

Old 10-25-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:

So put the Greenville and Spartanburg MSAs’ jobs added September to September together and subtract them from the Charleston-North Charleston MSA’s 20,600 jobs added over the same period. North Charleston is in Charleston County and is contiguous to Charleston. It’s a suburb of Charleston or we’d have interstate signs in Columbia directing motorists to North Charleston as we do to Spartanburg, both cities being on I-26. (Greenville signs begin after leaving I-26 when driving the from Columbia.) North Charleston will always be a suburb of Charleston even if it surpasses Charleston in population. Spartanburg isn’t and won’t be a suburb of Greenville.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
I'm fairly sure the the name of an airport has 0 correlation to the job market.
It doesn't make sense to argue Anderson's job market is connected to Greenville's job market but Spartanburg is its own entity.

There isn't a wall between Greenville and Spartanburg counties. Downtown Greenville is 30 miles to downtown Anderson and 30 miles to downtown Spartanburg.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
So put the Greenville and Spartanburg MSAs’ jobs added September to September together and subtract them from the Charleston-North Charleston MSA’s 20,600 jobs added over the same period. North Charleston is in Charleston County and is contiguous to Charleston. It’s a suburb of Charleston or we’d have interstate signs in Columbia directing motorists to North Charleston as we do to Spartanburg, both cities being on I-26. (Greenville signs begin after leaving I-26 when driving the from Columbia.) North Charleston will always be a suburb of Charleston even if it surpasses Charleston in population. Spartanburg isn’t and won’t be a suburb of Greenville.
N. Charleston's job market seems completely different from Charleston's job market. I don't think downtown Charleston is the reason manufacturers locate plants in N. Charleston. THe port helps but it isn't about the city of Charleston. The elements of Greenville and Spartanburg job markets are pretty similar. The airport is located between them.

I'm not saying Spartanburg is a suburb of Greenville. I'm saying the job market here is an Upstate job market which includes Spartanburg, Seneca, Greenwood, etc.

Nobody tries to separate Durham from Raleigh or presents Durham as just a suburb of Raleigh. I view Greenville and Spartanburg as the twin cities of SC. I also don't view Anderson as a suburb of Greenville. I rarely hear about Anderson in my daily life. I've never worked with anybody in Greenville who lived in Anderson that I can recall. I have worked with Spartanburg residents and people who live between the two in Duncan.

Please keep in mind I don't care if Charleston has more job growth than Greenville. I'm not a job number competitive person. I'm small town kind of guy. This deal is I can't imagine most people who hype Charleston because of the downtown also liking N. Charleston or the kind of jobs there. It is funny to me their job markets get packaged together but twin bros Greenville and Spartanburg get separated.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 10-25-2023 at 05:20 PM..

Old 10-26-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
N. Charleston's job market seems completely different from Charleston's job market. I don't think downtown Charleston is the reason manufacturers locate plants in N. Charleston. THe port helps but it isn't about the city of Charleston. The elements of Greenville and Spartanburg job markets are pretty similar. The airport is located between them.

I'm not saying Spartanburg is a suburb of Greenville. I'm saying the job market here is an Upstate job market which includes Spartanburg, Seneca, Greenwood, etc.

Nobody tries to separate Durham from Raleigh or presents Durham as just a suburb of Raleigh. I view Greenville and Spartanburg as the twin cities of SC. I also don't view Anderson as a suburb of Greenville. I rarely hear about Anderson in my daily life. I've never worked with anybody in Greenville who lived in Anderson that I can recall. I have worked with Spartanburg residents and people who live between the two in Duncan.

Please keep in mind I don't care if Charleston has more job growth than Greenville. I'm not a job number competitive person. I'm small town kind of guy. This deal is I can't imagine most people who hype Charleston because of the downtown also liking N. Charleston or the kind of jobs there. It is funny to me their job markets get packaged together but twin bros Greenville and Spartanburg get separated.
Biggest stretch I’ve ever seen on City Data. If Charleston and N. Charleston aren’t within the same entity in terms of the job market among SC’s metros, I’m from Japan. The very existence of N. Charleston came about only to stop the city of Charleston from annexing the areas that now make up N. Charleston. It is adjacent to and shares a border with Charleston.

Workers commute from N. Charleston into the city of Charleston like I wake up in my bedroom and walk to my kitchen. It’s close. And vice versa. Both cities are in Charleston County, a skinny county that hugs the coast. People even commute from Summerville and beyond to downtown Charleston to work, but Summerville is more dependent on being in metro Charleston for jobs than Spartanburg is dependent on Greenville. If there were no Greenville, Spartanburg could be its own city. Summerville wouldn’t exist as it is today if not for being near Charleston.

Old 10-26-2023, 10:44 AM

Much of Spartanburg's industry is located near the Greenville county line near the airport.

This includes the two most hyped companies BMW and Proterra. Both of these companies seem to be more associated with Greenville than Spartanburg with the general public and their leaders.

One of the major Greenville suburban roads Pelham RD is almost in Spartanburg county. Michelin, GE, Fluor and other big employers are close to Spartanburg county. People can work in one and live in another easily. Makes no sense to attach Anderson to Greenville but leave out Spartanburg

I believe Summerville is one of the oldest cities in the state. Both Summerville and Spartanburg have grown partly due to more affordable housing relatively to Charleston and Spartanburg.

Most people who live in the Charleston area don't work in downtown Charleston. Companies locating off the peninsula are growing Summerville

Last edited by LakeMan45; 10-26-2023 at 10:54 AM..

Old 10-26-2023, 01:14 PM

Jobs are spread out pretty evenly in the Charleston-N. Charleston metro. The bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic from Summerville to the peninsula sure could have fooled me.

With hotels, restaurants, MUSC, the Charleston Digital Corridor, retail, the College of Charleston, etc., there are lots of jobs in downtown Charleston. While well established and growing, manufacturing jobs in the metro have a ways to go in number comparatively. But not only has the Charleston-North Charleston metro had faster job growth percentage-wise, but in raw numbers, by far.

Old 10-26-2023, 04:25 PM

There's a reason Greenville has a CSA but Charleston is only a MSA.

My South Carolina history professors focused almost exclusively on Charleston. The Upstate cities basically did not exist for them.

The only way humble Greenville could outpace the chosen one Charleston is the animal spirits. Charleston was born on third base.

The Upstate is the greatest economic development upset iat the state level among all 50 states.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 10-26-2023 at 04:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina