Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 09:32 AM

129 posts, read 171,594 times

Advertisements

It's been over a year since the South Carolina "Left Lane Law" went into effect. IMO, I always viewed it as common sense to move over into another lane, particularly when there is a car approaching fast from behind, let alone a line of cars behind you when the car directly behind you is riding your bumper. Has this become ignorance, unawareness, a combination of both or what?! When traffic backs up on say I26, I feel that more often that not it's due to drastically slowing down in ALL lanes. As for accidents, it's like everyone is more concerned with seeing what happened then getting past it and to their destination. I'm sorry I'm both insanely frustrated and dumbfounded every time I travel I26 either going to Charleston or Columbia and I'm certain I'm not the only one. I know that local LE hasn't been doing much enforcing on the matter (how can they), but it's just mind boggling how this hasn't caught on. Rant over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 10:01 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
I used to get really upset about left-lane slowpokes, because it's annoying and dangerous having to keep slowing down, get around such people, and speed back up up.

Then I got a car with adaptive cruise control, (so it will automatically slow down to match the pace of the car in front of you) and I set it at the speed limit and hang out in the right lane all the time. I have not worried about such people in years and my life is significantly lower stress.

Last edited by gvsteve; 01-23-2023 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-23-2023, 04:36 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterTherapy View Post
It's been over a year since the South Carolina "Left Lane Law" went into effect. IMO, I always viewed it as common sense to move over into another lane, particularly when there is a car approaching fast from behind, let alone a line of cars behind you when the car directly behind you is riding your bumper. Has this become ignorance, unawareness, a combination of both or what?! When traffic backs up on say I26, I feel that more often that not it's due to drastically slowing down in ALL lanes. As for accidents, it's like everyone is more concerned with seeing what happened then getting past it and to their destination. I'm sorry I'm both insanely frustrated and dumbfounded every time I travel I26 either going to Charleston or Columbia and I'm certain I'm not the only one. I know that local LE hasn't been doing much enforcing on the matter (how can they), but it's just mind boggling how this hasn't caught on. Rant over

There's no signs for it posted anywhere that I know of.. Many people don't know it exists.

And.., What are the odds of a cop being around when this is happening? It's a fair amount of blustering or whatever you want to call it.. Pandering. I don't think it actually does jack/squat. I think I saw there have been about 200 encounters due to this law in the past year? And a handful of tickets?

People in the left lane tend to stay in the left lane. Or, in other words.. A-holes gonna be a-holes.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:20 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I used to get really upset about left-lane slowpokes, because it's annoying and dangerous having to keep slowing down, get around such people, and speed back up up.

Then I got a car with adaptive cruise control, (so it will automatically slow down to match the pace of the car in front of you) and I set it at the speed limit and hang out in the right lane all the time. I have not worried about such people in years and my life is significantly lower stress.
AMEN TO THAT!!! For as long as I can remember, I always needed to be out front. Always looking to pass. Always STRESSED!!!! Now, I’m just like you. Speed limit or just under on the interstate. Rarely ever need to pass anyone. It takes me an extra 5 minutes an hour. Big deal. Well worth it to be relaxed.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:02 PM

129 posts, read 171,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post

Yes because I would say nearly 50% of the people are usually traveling in the non-passing lanes while the other 50% are trying to get around, and it only takes 1 to back things up or cause an accident. Lucky you lol I don't have that much faith in technology. I can barely relax when my wife is driving....rather say flying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
There's no signs for it posted anywhere that I know of.. Many people don't know it exists.

And.., What are the odds of a cop being around when this is happening? It's a fair amount of blustering or whatever you want to call it.. Pandering. I don't think it actually does jack/squat. I think I saw there have been about 200 encounters due to this law in the past year? And a handful of tickets?

People in the left lane tend to stay in the left lane. Or, in other words.. A-holes gonna be a-holes.
Right. I know it was posted on all the LED signs above the highways at some point. I'm sure they just gave up, as I understand that would be very difficult to enforce unless an officer is already in motion. But I have seen plenty of the signs that say "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT". I guess even that's too hard to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
AMEN TO THAT!!! For as long as I can remember, I always needed to be out front. Always looking to pass. Always STRESSED!!!! Now, I’m just like you. Speed limit or just under on the interstate. Rarely ever need to pass anyone. It takes me an extra 5 minutes an hour. Big deal. Well worth it to be relaxed.
Yeah I prefer to be out in front and away from other vehicles for obvious reasons. Typically as I approach a vehicle cruising at or under the speed limit in the passing lane I slow down as to not immediately ride their bumper. I'm not trying to be an A-hole. Most of the time they move over. But frequently enough someone doesn't get the message (for whatever reason), so I do get closer and sometimes even flash my lights or honk the horn. Once I pass, I'm back over in the moving lane until I need to pass again.

Old 01-26-2023, 05:14 PM

542 posts, read 1,108,255 times
I would love to give a Richard Petty tap if they won't get over. There's no excuse for not moving over.

Old 01-26-2023, 05:23 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
For some reason, it didn’t stick in my mind that this isn’t a law in most states in the US already. It makes sense to me for this to be enforced - and I’m not even the type to want more laws to exist (if anything, I generally think there’s too many already).

That said, I am almost never in the left lane anyway, so this wouldn’t even affect me that much.

Old 01-27-2023, 05:43 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
I predict that the new law about left-lane slowpokes will be enforced with the same regularity that laws against speeding, tailgating, reckless driving, and coal rolling are. That is, almost never, as there are almost never police around to do so.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:46 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
I was listening to a caller on the radio about this subject. The caller was frustrated because he thinks that if he is going the speed limit, in the left lane and someone behind him wants to exceed the limit, that the police should ticket that person and not the one cruising in the left lane. I was surprised the host agreed.

It's my thinking that the left lane cruiser is IMPEDING traffic. It's not their responsibility to keep people from speeding. By impeding traffic, you are causing more danger to others. Sure no one should speed, but it's not our job to enforce others to not speed. I would say that the person impeding is more dangerous than someone going 10 MPH over.

Old 01-27-2023, 09:31 AM

12,919 posts, read 18,765,744 times
If I’m doing my usual 81 in the left lane and a car is riding my bumper, I will usually move to the right once I find enough room between cars in the right lane, but I then often have to wait a really long time to find room to move back to the left lane because of vehicles passing me constantly. I have an issue with that. The law should be enforced within reason to fine only obvious slow pokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina