Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 10:22 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,973,159 times

Advertisements

I'm not that surprised about Georgetown tbh, MSA are driven by commuting patterns so if the part connected to Myrtle Beach is mostly retirement set ups it won't really matter. I am a little surprised Dillon hasn't been added to Florence yet since i imagine the inland port has been adding a lot of jobs the areas population can't really grow to fill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 06:49 AM

314 posts, read 476,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
I'm not that surprised about Georgetown tbh, MSA are driven by commuting patterns so if the part connected to Myrtle Beach is mostly retirement set ups it won't really matter. I am a little surprised Dillon hasn't been added to Florence yet since i imagine the inland port has been adding a lot of jobs the areas population can't really grow to fill.
I agree with this one, if you actually come to Florence County you can definitely see something good is going on with all the development but the numbers say otherwise. Even county council and the Economic development arm of the county mentioned this in one of their reports/news stories. They don’t believe the census data, Covid had a lot to do with the numbers that have been presented.

Old 07-22-2023, 07:29 AM

12,972 posts, read 18,828,617 times
My three main things were:

would Newberry County be added to the Columbia MSA

would Colleton County be added to the Charleston-North Charleston MSA

would the updates bring back a Greenville-Spartanburg MSA.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:24 AM

5,496 posts, read 8,348,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinachaos View Post
I agree with this one, if you actually come to Florence County you can definitely see something good is going on with all the development but the numbers say otherwise. Even county council and the Economic development arm of the county mentioned this in one of their reports/news stories. They don’t believe the census data, Covid had a lot to do with the numbers that have been presented.
Interesting. Well do they have any other data that would refute the census data?

Old 07-22-2023, 01:32 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,084,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Beat me to it.

I’m a bit surprised that nothing was added to Columbias MSA but how in the world was Georgetown not added to Myrtle Beaches MSA? Lol

I follow the guys on the Alabama board a bit and apparently nothing changed for them either besides a few CSA’s. Although, in a tiny state like South Carolina that’s growing incredibly rapid, not even one county got added to any MSA? Unless covid completely just threw stats off the rails and the folks at census bureau didn’t adjust any parameters; or perhaps they’re just playing “eeny, meeny, miny, mo” or flipping a coin for this one considering its half a month late in its release. I don’t really know. I was really rooting for at least one of the MSA’s in SC would’ve added a county.
It just goes to show just how much infill development is occurring in our metropolitan counties in an already low-density state.

Old 07-22-2023, 01:48 PM

314 posts, read 476,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Interesting. Well do they have any other data that would refute the census data?
Filed building permits, I don’t know how closely that would correlate with population growth but that is one of the factors they’ve looked at.

Old 07-22-2023, 01:54 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,973,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
It's important to remember that the Census data is not data but estimates based off how things looked when they did the census in 2020. During Covid screwing with the data. And the estimates were way off compared to actuals in the census. it'll take until 2030 to get some actual good data unless another event big enough to screw with population like Covid happens again.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:33 AM

5,496 posts, read 8,348,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
It's important to remember that the Census data is not data but estimates based off how things looked when they did the census in 2020. During Covid screwing with the data. And the estimates were way off compared to actuals in the census. it'll take until 2030 to get some actual good data unless another event big enough to screw with population like Covid happens again.
Regardless. Where is the data that is better than the data? Provide a link. That's the point in making.

Old 07-23-2023, 08:33 AM

8,265 posts, read 13,413,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The Sumter MSA has been added to the Columbia CSA, putting its population at approximately 1.1M.

Brunswick County, NC has been returned to the Wilmington, NC MSA from Myrtle Beach which knocks the Myrtle Beach MSA down a peg in population rankings.

The Greenville-Anderson MSA has been renamed the Greenville-Anderson-Greer MSA.

Those are the changes I noticed in the latest OMB updates which can be found here (PDF): https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...etin-23-01.pdf
I am glad Sumter was added to the Columbia CSA. THat said, what does that actually mean in terms of teh benefits to either community? I think Sumter -Columbia is a confluence of failed opportunities. 1) I-20 not following the path of 378 to better connect both cities, 2) If CAE was where McEntire ANG based is located, that would have certainly promoted more regionalism 3) I dont know if the area around the Wateree River is floodplain. If it is.. that explains another reason for the "gap" between both metros though that is more of a natural issue and not one controlled by either community. At any rate.. Sumter is still growing towards Columbia up 378 though now it seems to be diverting towards Camden up Hwy 521. Santee Wateree RTA has a commuter bus that runs from Sumter to Columbia which may be the only one in the midlands.

https://www.swrta.com/_files/ugd/3b1...82341cf33e.pdf

I used to travel between both cities frequently along 378. I thought it was one of the most dangerous roads in the Midlands. People drive on it like an interstate and it is really a highway. I cant count the number of times someone would slow down in the fast lane to turn on to one of those crossovers to go across on coming traffic as part of a left turn. Many of them did not have a "turning lane" thus causing them to almost stop in the passing lane to turn left. Rear end collisions were very common and many were fatal. They have since added many separate left turn lanes so maybe accidents are now not as common

Old 07-25-2023, 09:52 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,079,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I see the difference as the difference between the number of college students returning post-pandemic in Columbia versus in Charleston, as some students lagged in returning.
But students don't get counted as full time residents for census data/population stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina