Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 06:10 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But students don't get counted as full time residents for census data/population stats.
Yes they certainly do. Fact.

It’s where they lay their heads to sleep in April that determines where they are counted as residents. In the pandemic, colleges and universities went to great lengths in cooperation with the Census Bureau to count occupied dorms as residents, even though the students weren’t there in most cases because of the pandemic. But many students didn’t return right away and weren’t counted in the 7/1/2021 numbers, but had returned by 7/1/2022 and were counted. This part is just my theory, but the part about college and university students being counted as residents in the census is fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 01:16 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Yes they certainly do. Fact.

It’s where they lay their heads to sleep in April that determines where they are counted as residents. In the pandemic, colleges and universities went to great lengths in cooperation with the Census Bureau to count occupied dorms as residents, even though the students weren’t there in most cases because of the pandemic. But many students didn’t return right away and weren’t counted in the 7/1/2021 numbers, but had returned by 7/1/2022 and were counted. This part is just my theory, but the part about college and university students being counted as residents in the census is fact.
Can you share a link with data and stats that show this? The part about college students. Just so we can see the numbers.

Old 07-27-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Can you share a link with data and stats that show this? The part about college students. Just so we can see the numbers.
See what aspect of the numbers? I don’t know of a link that shows student population figures as a subset of resident population figures.

I came up with this with a google, but I already knew this:

https://carolinademography.cpc.unc.e...20off%20campus.

In other words, I knew not to add the College of Charleston’s 10,000 students to the city of Charleston’s 153,000 residents in my head, because the largest portion of CofC’s students are part of the 153,000 whether they live in dorms or off campus within city limits.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
See what aspect of the numbers? I don’t know of a link that shows student population figures as a subset of resident population figures.

I came up with this with a google, but I already knew this:

https://carolinademography.cpc.unc.e...20off%20campus.

In other words, I knew not to add the College of Charleston’s 10,000 students to the city of Charleston’s 153,000 residents in my head, because the largest portion of CofC’s students are part of the 153,000 whether they live in dorms or off campus within city limits.
Is there a link with data from the census that shows this?

Old 07-27-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Is there a link with data from the census that shows this?
Still doubting? It is a fact.

https://www.census.gov/library/fact-...-students.html

Old 07-27-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Got nothing to do with that. I just believe in facts and data from reliable sources. Many people say things based on how they feel and quote it as fact. That's just in general. Nothing personal. In example there was a post in the Greenville forum pointing to an article saying that Greenville and Charleston were 2 of the best driving cities in the country. But when you go to the SCDOT site for fatalities, those 2 counties are in the top for fatalities. And SC is rated as one of the worst states for drivers. How can they be in the top for best drivers in the country? It doesn't add up.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Got nothing to do with that. I just believe in facts and data from reliable sources. Many people say things based on how they feel and quote it as fact. That's just in general. Nothing personal. In example there was a post in the Greenville forum pointing to an article saying that Greenville and Charleston were 2 of the best driving cities in the country. But when you go to the SCDOT site for fatalities, those 2 counties are in the top for fatalities. And SC is rated as one of the worst states for drivers. How can they be in the top for best drivers in the country? It doesn't add up.
Did the Census Bureau link do it?

Old 07-28-2023, 02:35 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 12 days ago)

729 posts, read 344,448 times
Getting into an accident doesn't mean the driver at fault is a bad driver in general. Everybody has made mistakes while driving.

Old 07-30-2023, 01:40 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Another change made in the 2023 release is that Union County was re-added to Spartanburg's MSA which had only consisted of Spartanburg County.

Old 07-30-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
Getting into an accident doesn't mean the driver at fault is a bad driver in general. Everybody has made mistakes while driving.
I only look at the stats and data personally. It's the only information I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina