Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:35 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,827 times

Advertisements

I've been critical of Senator Lee Bright for his gun law proposal which would allow people to carry a gun openly in public (not concealed, just open, slung over your shoulder or hip) and carry without needing a permit, or training, or background check.

So, to be fair, we should get to know Lee Bright:

Graduated from Spartanburg's Dorman High School.

Has been quoted as saying "If at first you don't 'secede'....try again" regarding SC's relationship with the federal government.

As a school board member in 1999, he wanted evolution taken out of schools because "its only a theory".

Has a reputation of proposing "red meat" proposals that have no chance of passing, but appeal to a far right base. He counters by saying the media overblows it to make him "look like a loon".

Proposed several anti-abortion-choice legislations, which were defeated.

Voted AGAINST a bill that would reduce government oversight of Clemson University. Hmmm. He's all for small government....but wont reduce it. Cant have freedom in classrooms I guess.

Casted the ONLY "no" vote for a bill that would allow early voting. Hmmm. Guess people like cops and firemen and doctors who have to work on election day just don't get to vote, seeing as cops and firemen aren't allowed to vote in uniform, and, if they are on an emergency scene that lasts all day, well, they just don't get to vote by Lee Bright's standards.

Supported Nikki Haley's veto of fund for a rape counseling center (seriously).

OPPOSED the "Boland Bill" that would help prevent mentally ill people in SC from getting a gun

Proposed "Constitutional Carry" of guns- meaning open carry of any gun on your shoulder or waist or wherever you want to carry it, eliminate the permit requirement, which in turn eliminates any required training, and as usual, you can still buy a gun from a private seller without a background check.

He has won the "Hero of the Taxpayers" award in SC.

And, his trucking business is currently going under foreclosure.

Most recently, supported legalizing hemp (marijuana) in SC for industrial/corporate uses, but not personal use. Go figure. Corporate freedom yes, personal freedom no.

There it is folks. Get to know the folks making decisions in this state on your behalf, and anyone looking to move here, you should pay attention. This stuff is important.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Bright

Last edited by CD2013; 02-22-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 12:43 PM

Senator Lee Bright continued:

Also said teachers should be able to carry machine guns in the classroom:
South Carolina Senate Candidate Suggests Teachers Should Be Able To Carry Machine Guns In School | ThinkProgress#

And said that getting contacted by the IRS in America is like living under Nazi rule:
Lindsey Graham Tea Party Challenger: People Who Don't Work Shouldn't Be Allowed To Eat

Well, we'll see what kind of culture SC has in the upcoming election. Lee Bright...sadly....may get a lot of votes in this state.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:21 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Lee Bright does have an interesting platform. Some ideas I agree with and others I disagree.

I stray away from political discussions. I hope South Carolina wisely elects the best candidate to serve the state and nation rightfully.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:20 AM

Hes a whacko who supports dangerous legislation. Unfortunately, upstate folks like him.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:30 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,613,328 times
What bothers me about this guy is that he preaches being responsible on fiscal issues. It is hard for me to take anything he says with any degree of respect when he is being sued due to a failed business. And, when asked about the business, he blames everyone but himself. From what I hear, regardless of the failed business, he does have a nice house.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:11 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
I've been critical of Senator Lee Bright for his gun law proposal which would allow people to carry a gun openly in public (not concealed, just open, slung over your shoulder or hip) and carry without needing a permit, or training, or background check.
Just like in neighboring NC, and TN.

I do not see problems in Charlotte.

I do not see problems in Nashville.

Why then, would problems present themselves in SC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
As a school board member in 1999, he wanted evolution taken out of schools because "its only a theory".
Evolution *is* only a theory. While I am not commenting on whether or not it should be taught in schools, I don't see a problem with stating what's accepted as fact: that evolution is a theory.

The other points you listed were condensed, without giving a full overview of things he voted on, so I can't comment.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:25 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,101,854 times
This thread is nothing more than a thinly veiled troll hit piece. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:09 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Evolution *is* only a theory. While I am not commenting on whether or not it should be taught in schools, I don't see a problem with stating what's accepted as fact: that evolution is a theory.
This is literally true, but stating this as a justification for removing it from science classes represents a gross misunderstanding of science. It's like someone saying our understanding of gravity is a theory (which it is), and so therefore we should take it out of school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
This thread is nothing more than a thinly veiled troll hit piece. Nothing to see here folks, move along.
Yep. Forget trying to actually getting to know your reps.

He's a radical right wing Republican. That alone obviously is enough to win YOUR vote.

Not mine.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
This is literally true, but stating this as a justification for removing it from science classes represents a gross misunderstanding of science. It's like someone saying our understanding of gravity is a theory (which it is), and so therefore we should take it out of school.

Scientific theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fair enough.

What other concerns do you have about Lee Bright? There's a lot of misinformation out there, and Republican or Democrat, I like to see the context of a person's remarks, before I draw conclusions.

For the record: I don't agree with all of Bright's positions, although I am excited about the prospect of a politician that puts the needs of his State first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina