Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 12:00 PM

85 posts, read 287,649 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying no matter where we move I promise we will never say "That's not how we do it up North" Thanks in advance for all of your help

Originally my family and I were looking in GA but have now decided that S/N Carolina or FLA might suit our needs better. I am hoping that residents (born and raised or transplants) and also Agents might share their suggestions...
Here it is:
Due to medical reasons my family needs a warm climate. My family consists of my husband, myself and my retired parents. Money is not an issue so all input and areas are welcome. We are looking for the following:
1.Warm Climate with no snow (or very little)
2. A lot of land 4+ acres where we will not be on top of our neighbors. If they have a barking dog we don't want to know Lived too long like that and we need some peace and quiet.
3. Waterfront if possible (Lake, River) that would be ideal. But not a deal breaker.
4.Good school district. We are starting a family.
5. Area where my husband can commute to work (in a city I guess)
6. I am a Yoga Teacher with a very successful business and will want to relocate it to an area that is health conscious and open to a place like that.
7. Possibility of two homes on the property, either already built or renovate an already existing structure. Again not a deal breaker.

If any areas jump out as being able to suit some or all of these needs I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 12:23 PM

435 posts, read 1,530,557 times
Assuming, as you said, money is not an issue, I would recommend the Lake Murray area northwest of Columbia, SC. Look in the Lexington/Richland 5 and Lexington 1 school districts - they are among the best in the Columbia metro area. Towns/areas to consider are Chapin and the areas just north and northwest of the Town of Lexington. Be aware that the area is rapidly suburbanizing, so choose your lot carefully so as to not be rudely surprised by sprawl encroaching next door. You can try further out into other areas or counties along the lake (such as Newberry or Saluda, to the north or west, respectively), but the schools will definitely not be as good, and you will be further from the city/suburbs.

Alternatively, I would look at the Tega Cay/Fort Mill, SC area round Lake Wylie. This is essentially suburban Charlotte, so it's likely more expensive, but you are near a much larger city. York County schools (I think it's York District 2, not sure) in the Fort Mill area are great.

If you wish for more quiet, less city, and less price, I would opt for the Lake Murray/Lexington/Columbia option (you are still in a decent mid-size metro). If you wish for something closer to bigger city options, I would choose Lake Wylie/Tega Cay/Fort Mill option.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:34 PM

474 posts, read 2,193,012 times
Default Recommendatiions for SC areas w/lakes

Here is a link to the Google map page for Seneca SC. Notice Lake Keowee, Lake Jocassee, Seneca Lake, etc. In the mountain foothills, yet close enough to Greenville SC. Absolutely gorgeous areas. Various price ranges around the lakes. Also several vineyards coming into their own in those areas.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Seneca,...532&iwloc=addr

Old 02-15-2007, 01:08 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,733 times
While Tega Cay is a great place to live (that's where I am located)...I will tell you right up front you will not find anything close to 4 acres here (you would be lucky to get a 1/2 acre).

Fort Mill, SC is another option. The Fort Mill Schools are within York County/District 4. You will be able to find homes with acreage (Lake Wylie) but you will pay (due to the proximity to Charlotte, NC and the school district).

My other suggestion would be to check into Clover, SC/Lake Wylie. While I would say Fort Mill schools are tad better than Clover...(again within York County/District 2)...this would be my second choice to send my children. You are more apt to find the land you are looking for here too. Still within communiting distance of Charlotte, NC if need be (or even Fort Mill or Rock Hill, SC).

Best of luck with your search!

Old 02-15-2007, 01:32 PM

I just want to clarify that when I said $$$ was not an issue I meant that land and houses up to and around $1-1.5 mil would be fine but $16 mil estates not so fine

Also it is not set in stone that we have to be on the water, even a lot of beautiful land would be fine.
Thanks for all the feedback so far. Very helpful and informative! Keep it coming

Old 02-15-2007, 05:53 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,240,440 times
Aiken & Orangeburg counties in SC may suit your needs. Depending on where you look and how far your husband wishes to commute. Augusta is only 20 minutes from Aiken. There is plenty of land, and if you are not in the Aiken City Limit it is still quite affordable. $1.5 million would go a very, very long way here.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:42 PM

Thanks Evey for the info on Aiken. I noticed it says you are leaving to go back to FLA. May I ask why?

Old 02-15-2007, 08:08 PM

My better half resisted the move here, but I pushed hard and he finally yielded. He has hated it here from day one. He left his family behind in FL. He agreed to give it a year and see if he could adjust. He could not (or would not). That year was up in Dec.

Personally, I love it here. It took me all of about 45 minutes to adjust. I am heartbroken about leaving, but my marriage is more important to me than where I live.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:18 PM

You are a very strong and understanding woman. I wish you tons of luck with your move and hope you are just as happy if not more when you return to FLA. What part of FLA are you returning to?

Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the support.

We are heading to the Sarasota/Bradenton area. It will be a challenge finding a house that we can afford, but seeing my husband smile again will be worth however long we have to stay with his folks. My dog will be happy to be able to hit the beach & go jet-skiing again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina