Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about retiring somewhere in the Columbia SC or Augusta GA area or somewhere in between, which will still be many years from now, but was thinking about going ahead and buy some land in a area where I want to live.

It will probably be 30-35 years before I retire, so is it foolish to be thinking of buying raw land now? I know I would have to pay taxes and have some sort of insurance on it, but another thing that concerns me about buying too soon is development around the land, right of ways, etc.

Would I be wise to buy now, or a few years from now, or wait and buy 30 years from now? I was thinking while I could afford something like this now and found the perfect place if I should buy now. I will still keep my current property and the SC land would mainly be a "winter home".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 03:27 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,003 times
In the long term, I can't imagine losing money on land. There are scenarios where the value could temporarily go down, but the overall trend is upward. An elderly lady here in FL bought acreage for $1800 when she was young, and sold it for $2.1 million! If it turns out you don't want to live there sometime in the future, you can always sell it to pay for something else. Just do a lot of research to make sure there isn't something fundamentally wrong with the land- overpriced, flood zone, next to a toxic dump, or whatever.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:26 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
The only thing I would say is that 30 years is a long time and your choice of a retirement locale might change by then. It is certain to be less expensive now than it will be in 30 years and if you decide you don't want to live on that land when you retire, you can always sell the property and buy elsewhere.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:38 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
I second the opinion of the 2 above. Of course, there are a couple of things to consider, including whether you're paying cash or financing. I believe long term you'll come out ahead. If you do have development around you, it will increase the land value and you can sell that and buy something else if it's not what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina