Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2007, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 12,907 times

Advertisements

I'm in need of info. on Aiken, SC lifestyle. I'm considering the move to Aiken from Baltimore, MD. I'm currently pregnant and single. Also, I'm in my early 30s. As for my profession, I'm a Special Education Teacher looking for a new lifestyle for my child. Thus, I was interested in learning more about everyday life. What do people do for fun? Are they friendly? Racist--I'm an African-American Woman. I guess, I'm looking for the info. that you can't get from stats. or a Realtor. Thank you in advance, for your sharing your opinion(s) with me.

Warmly,
Bmoregirl

P.S. I have lived in Denver; Phoenix,AZ; Decatur,GA; Chicago, IL and now Baltimore, so my background is very diverse and I have the moving/adjustment think down to a t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 09:33 PM

83 posts, read 394,978 times
Special ed teachers are in demand here, like most everywhere, I suspect. I teach here and many of the special ed teachers at my school are African-American women. I don't think that your ethnicity is an issue. As a single person, you may find Aiken doesn't cater to your nightlife wants. Looking at where you've lived, Aiken is a far cry from those places (I'm treating Decatur as being part of Atlanta). Then again, as a soon-to-be single mom, you probably won't have time to go out anyway.

I'd think it would be hard to move to a new place without a support system when you're having a child. Do you have friends or family here?

Old 03-07-2007, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 12,907 times
Thank you for the info! Yes, I have family and longtime, family-friends in Augusta, GA. But, I prefer to live in Aiken. What I can remember about Augusta. . . old and not very clean. So, I have accepted the idea of a commute for baby-free weekend.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:51 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,241 times
Aiken is a great town to raise kids. As a native ATL girl I can relate from coming from a big town to a smaller town. Weather is great here. Lots of outside stuff to be involved in. Lots of parks and green space. The library is great. Good schools--just like any town across America there is both good and bad districts. Shopping is getting better everyday here. Movie theaters stink. Downtown Historic district is thriving. Most south side neighborhoods are mixed race. (thank goodness) The north side of Aiken does have a larger african-american population . I think that you will find most people here are open and friendly.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,507 times
Post schools for middle school and high school

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyogi View Post
Aiken is a great town to raise kids. As a native ATL girl I can relate from coming from a big town to a smaller town. Weather is great here. Lots of outside stuff to be involved in. Lots of parks and green space. The library is great. Good schools--just like any town across America there is both good and bad districts. Shopping is getting better everyday here. Movie theaters stink. Downtown Historic district is thriving. Most south side neighborhoods are mixed race. (thank goodness) The north side of Aiken does have a larger african-american population . I think that you will find most people here are open and friendly.
What are the options for middle school [6th grade] and high school junior, both boys as we may be moving here in July. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:44 PM

35 posts, read 108,661 times
Since we are mentioning single parenting. I am a single father looking to relocate to south carolina. I am in construction (electrician) and am really concerned about the economy. I am leaning toward the Greenville area, but am more than willing to look elsewhere also!!! Any info. would be great!!

Old 04-09-2007, 06:22 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,241 times
My son went to South AIken High and Kennedy Middle. Both schools served him very well. If you live in Aiken (zip code 29803 or 29801) you will more than likely attend either Schofield Middle then AIken High or Kennedy Middle then South Aiken High. All 4 schools are good schools. When you are house/apartment/rental searching your realtor may say that the south side schools are better (which is where my son attended) and that simply is not the case. Use the web site great schools.net. They have great information. I know teachers and students at all 4 above mentioned schools and they all have positive things to say. (You will always hear about the drugs at the school.--true they are there just like when you were in school) I am pretty sure I read last week in the paper when they did Aiken Highs drug search they found 0 drugs at the school. And yes, public safety always does 1-2 random drug sweeps through the schools each year to really ensure our kids safety. Again, good luck with any move you decide!

Old 05-01-2007, 05:06 PM

43 posts, read 198,138 times
Aiken is nice, when u say Augusta im assuming u mean downtown or east augusta but is not old and dirty like it used to be when u probably last visited , south aug or west aug have nice areas and the area in which u mention there is alot of new developments under construction new condos, new library, convention/exhibition centers, downtown stadium, j.b. whites building(retail/residential) new lofts, resturants, lounges, bars, clubs, plus more festivals and concerts are happening on broad st or around, downtown added 62 bussiness in 06 so if i was u i would check that part of augusta again it wont look the same i promise. North Augusta is close to aiken and across the bridge right by downtown augusta

Last edited by augga706; 05-01-2007 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 02:14 PM

81 posts, read 270,294 times
how come on the aiken info page is says very low rate for afroamericans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina