Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 PM

11 posts, read 43,757 times

Advertisements

Hi,
This is my first time posting to this site. I found it a few months ago and it looks great. Everyone is so helpful and informative. We are planning to visit South and North Carolina this July (I know it will be hot). We are hoping to move from Lake Oswego, Oregon (Portland metro area) in two to three years or sooner. My husband and I are both originally from sunnier climates and have never gotten used to the cold and rainy "rain season" that lasts 9+ months here. I don't mind some snow in the winter, but I would to have other seasons as well. It is very beautiful in the summer, but we would like a place that is warmer. I've visited North Carolina as a child and don't know much about the different areas in the Carolinas except for what I have read in various places.

I loved the friendly people in the south and the warm hospitality. I would not say that we are "extreme right wing" or anything, but we are definitely more conservative than much of the general philosophy in the Portland area.

I also like the idea of moving from "the least churched state" to the Bible belt. Even though I would like to be in an area with good public schools, we would like to put our girls in a private Christian school in a few years.

We have two twin girls that are 5 and starting kindergarten this September. Good schools and education are important. I know for sure that we want some place in the foothills maybe Anderson or Greenville areas because the mountains seem too remote and possibly cold and the low country might be too humid (mold problems) and buggy. Also, I love the rolling hills type of countryside with lakes nearby for their beauty and recreational amenities. I am not looking necessarily for a big city. Portland is much larger than the type of community that I am looking for. Although, I am not ready for a really small town either. We would like someplace that has charm (not just a bunch of strip malls), good schools, good medical facilities, pretty/ scenic location, good economy, low crime, upbeat community with community events like farmers markets, festivals, etc.

We are in the real estate / apartment business and would most likely buy and manage some small apartments wherever we move. I know that I am describing a utopia like place, but is there anywhere that sounds like what I am describing? The good news is that we aren't restricted by a job relocation, but this also opens up the state and we need to refine our search.

The home prices in the Portland area have risen so much in the last 15 years that it is quite expensive to buy a nice home (3 to 4 bedroom - 2,000-2,500 sq. ft.) for less than $425,000 or more. We would like to find a place where home prices are substantially less and more affordable.

Thank you all for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 07:39 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
If you are already familiar with the Greenville area of SC, then the choice is easy. I have lived in both NC and SC equal amounts of time, and Greenville and surrounding areas are the best all around for living, entertainment, climate, schools, diversity, people and beauty. I am partial to the ocean, but I do not miss the humidity. It can get hot and humid here too, but it pales in comparison. You can definitely find a great home (Simpsonville is a good area for residential) and get way more bang for your buck. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:12 AM

250 posts, read 1,212,580 times
Thumbs up Another plug for an awesome little city...

I agree with Northsouth. You'll be very pleasantly surprised when you visit Greenville, I assure you. I fell in love with Greenville, myself, back in 2000 and I moved here (to a suburb called "Travelers Rest") in 2001 and have been here ever since. What Greenville has to offer is simply unparalleled anywhere else in the Carolinas.

While I encourage you to visit every possible area you may consider while you're here, you'll cast aside all others once you visit Greenville (even in July). The climate is fairly mild here, even in the summer. It doesn't get overly humid (keep in mind I moved here from Florida, so humidity is a relative factor). The winters are pretty mild too, aside from the occasional ice storm or a couple of inches of snow here or there that quickly melt away.

The foothills and the Blue Ridge mountains are literally in our back door here in Greenville...it's a very short drive up into them and the way the Blue Ridge Escarpment bolts into the sky from the horizon here rivals even the front range of the Colorado Rockies, in my opinion. There are nearby state parks and lakes throughout this portion of Upstate South Carolina and there are plenty of outdoor recreational options. Additionally, Greenville itself has an amazing green belt network of Parks which is beginning to encircle the central business district (Cleveland Park (and the Greenville Zoo), Falls Park on the Reedy River, and a new park continuing on to the north from Falls Park is planned to be created within the next few years).

There are an abundant number of cultural activities as well (more than you'll find in just about any other city the size of Greenville): a performing arts center (the Peace Center), theatres, a symphony orchestra, art museums, galleries, the South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts and Humanities is located in Greenville, and there are multiple art festivals each year...

Speaking of festivals, that's another thing that sets Greenville apart, in my opinion. There are numerous festivals and events throughout the year (go to http://www.mainstevents.com/ for a small sampling of some of those).

I could go on and on and on for hours, but I'll just throw a few photos out there instead and save a few words.

Here's a photo that I took this past autumn at Caesar's Head State Park:

Here's one from Jones Gap State Park from this past autumn as well:

Here are a couple of photos of the Greenville Parks:

And for a few additional photos of Greenville:

Really ... do yourself a favor and thoroughly check Greenville out. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by RestedTraveler; 05-09-2007 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Added photos to further illustrate life in Greenville, SC

Old 05-09-2007, 05:02 AM

51 posts, read 238,922 times
I agree with NorthSouth and RestedTraveler. I hated to leave Greenville for Columbia ... Columbia was OK, but just not 'charming' like Greenville. I met so many people when I lived in Greenville that had looked at Columbia also and said they chose Greenville over it with no contest because of the lighter climate, rolling hills and mountains, culture, jobs, ect. Different cities have different things to offer for different crowds I guess.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:00 AM

49 posts, read 254,275 times
Great photos RT!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:59 AM

Thanks! It's the subject of the photos that make taking them soooooo easy.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:51 AM

Thanks everyone! Simpson was a major contender before, but we will make sure to take all of your comments into consideration and make sure we get a very good look at Greenville and the surrounding area on our trip. I greatly appreciate your help.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:53 AM

Also extra thanks to you Rested Traveler for all of your photos "a picture speaks a thousand words" I am a photo buff myself.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:39 AM

You're very welcome, sunshinedreamer!

Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 PM

28 posts, read 59,372 times
Okay -- I fell for the pictures and points you made RT. Can you answer a few more questions for me please. Is Greenville a good place for shopping. I like to shop (the idea of shopping) and I also like to eat… How is the gastronomy? I am starting to think about where I want to retire to and I am in Florida presently. I don't feel any charm here to be honest. I am in Sarasota and truth be told I know it has arts and good food but we are average people and don't live a big expensive life. We actually just moved back to florida about 6 months ago and I sweated to death every minute for 5 months straight. I had not realized how terribly humid it was here after being gone for 5 years. I also did not miss the palmetto bugs/snakes… Is north carolina free of them? I know SC is not…. I am looking for charming, affordable, and a family feel to being a part of the community…..I think I just confused myself…:0) Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina