Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2006, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 23,486 times

Advertisements

Upstate NY (Binghamton area) is beautiful but the long winters, taxes, gas prices, utilities and bad economy are getting to me.

I've been to Columbia several times visiting a friend and love the camping at Hunting Island. We Yankees get enthralled by those palm trees!

Doing some research online, it looks like upstate SC (Greenville area) might be nice, though I've never been there. The mountains are nearby, the beach is a couple of hours away and Atlanta and Charlotte are about an hour's drive. It's far enough inland to avoid the brunt of the hurricanes. I could drive back to NY in a day or two.

Binghamton is about 50/50 Catholic/Protestant. I'm a fallen German Catholic (atheist since my teens) and far right politically. Hillary in no way represents me! So I wouldn't really be any more of an oddball (inevitable).

For years I've had a legal process service business and have never been attacked or seriously threatened. But we have virtually no "diversity" here and no really bad neighborhoods. I probably would want to find something else to do. God knows what though. I'm a computer nerd but not good enough to make much money at it. I'm an amateur architect and would like to design my own super-efficient, inexpensive contemporary house. Here are some of my sketches. http://home.earthlink.net/~jerry1784/design (broken link). I have some new ones I need to add.

I just sold my house in the country and moved back with my parents so I have a bit of cash. http://home.earthlink.net/~jconrad607/house (broken link)

I sorta miss it but it was just too big for one person and I couldn't find anyone to share it with. All the women I know have their own houses and like it that way. I hate it.

The hard part would be getting started. I don't make friends very easily and I'm not religious so the churches wouldn't be of much help unless I fake it. The loneliness might kill me.

Maybe I'll head to the beach this fall with my dog if the hurricanes aren't too bad and stop over in Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 12:54 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raderator
Binghamton is about 50/50 Catholic/Protestant. I'm a fallen German Catholic (atheist since my teens) and far right politically. Hillary in no way represents me! So I wouldn't really be any more of an oddball (inevitable)
You might be. The Greeville area is almost the most Christain area in all of the US. Just something for you to consider. For us that is a huge plus P.S. Don't even try and fake it you will be spotted in a minute we can tell right away those that are and those that aren't

Mark

Old 07-24-2006, 03:58 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raderator
Some people believe in Jesus, some believe in Marx (two Jewish characters, BTW). Around here, most people believe in BOTH. We call them Catholics, Presbyterians and Episcopalians. Thank goodness you Baptists are only half as deluded. No Marx for you!

Seriously tho, the mild German flavor and far right politics of Upstate SC are both something which would agree with me, even if I can't swallow the Jesus stuff. At least he's just a mythical character, unlike Hillary and Schumer who are both very real!

BTW, you need to learn to spell Greenville and Christian. Pray for a spellchecker and you will be healed!

Am I banned yet?
One, Jesus is not a "character" nor is He a "mythical character" He is a real person. It always amazes about people that claim He was not a real person it really shows lack of research and investigation, and that's to bad. I challenge to do some real research for yourself. And please don't write back and say you have, because you haven't. If you did, you would not have made a statement like the one above.

Two, you are quite wrong when you say, "Thank goodness you Baptists are only half as deluded." A. I am not a Baptist. And B. I'm not deluded at all.

Three, excuse me I happen to be at a computer with extreme lag and that would account for the errors.

I would still advise you to rethink the Upstate. I would not want you to run in to hundreds of us, in your words, "deluded" folks

Mark

Old 07-25-2006, 10:22 AM

7 posts, read 39,113 times
Be careful. You may not find any friends in the bible belt with your attitude (wackos) and be very lonely indeed. Sunny SC is known for it's friendly people but they are also a very proud people. I'm not sure where you were that you didn't meet a single religious nut, but rest assured, Christianity is not about religion, it is a way of life and you will be meeting a few of those.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:32 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
I live in the western part of the state, and I have to tell you your attitude about religion will not help you to make any friends here.

I expect you do not make friends easily because you enjoy being argumentative. People here are not like that. You will be just as lonely here.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:53 AM

35 posts, read 173,618 times
Friends of ours are moving to Greenville, and we may too. We both now live in the Lowcountry of SC. My husband and I are native New Englanders. Our friends , one a Kentucky native, the other a naturalized citizen from India, are liberal thinkers who are spiritual. There may be fewer of us in SC, and there are some here that can't respect anyone with opposing views, but there are others who know we're all in this together and work for understanding. What none of us can accept, is rudeness and poor manners. Perhaps the south is not for you.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:51 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviroman
Is it fair to say that a non-Christian would feel pretty alienated in South Carolina, in general? I've often kicked around the notion of moving south, but the responses in this thread are disheartening...
No, I wouldn't say that. If you're new, you'll probably have people asking you to go to church.. particularly if you're in a small town. But that by itself won't alienate you.

But if you go around calling Christianity a cult, then yes, you will feel very alienated. I'm not very religous, and I know that I wouldn't want to be around somebody who was constantly putting down Christianity - nearly everyone here would find that offensive.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:18 AM

7 posts, read 20,832 times
Default Upstate - Great Community

Group,

I have read some these post and it sounds several of you are moving to Greenville, S.C.

If you are moving to Greenville, S.C. and your interested, I can send you information on a community located in northern greenville with a list of amenities and great access to locations.

Golf course, tennis courts, walking trail, swimming pool, 15 minutes from downtown, 50 minutes from Asheville, N.C., 25 minutes from Hendersonville, N.C. and 15 minutes from the mountains.

If you are interested let me know and I will send you information.

Thanks,

Rhett
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina