Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 12:32 PM

843 posts, read 2,749,439 times

Advertisements

There's been a lot of (misinformed) animosity directed towards the public school systems of the state of South Carolina, despite the evidence and personal experiences I've shared in an effort to counter these claims, so I wanted to share this link.

S.C. schools get good grades on national report card - The Item - South Carolina (http://www.theitem.com/article/20100115/ITNEWS01/701159941/-1/RSS01 - broken link)

Quote:
The Palmetto State ranked 11th overall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,435,097 times
I moved her from South Florida 5 years ago. I find my district's schools are great! My children are doing well and happy. Oldest is a Senior and just got accepted to Winthrop College.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,547,099 times
I went to the link to see where other states (namely Illinois) ranked but it doesn't appear that is possible. If you know a way to do this, please post a link.

My children started school with a willingness to learn and have maintained excellent grades in Illinois and South Carolina. My oldest is a junior at Furman Univ this year and my youngest is in 7th grade. I believe a lot can be said for the location you are in...students seem to struggle more in the bigger cities here.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:15 AM

540 posts, read 1,680,060 times
Well, I seriously doubt this will be true now. In fact, I doubt it's even true, period.

COLUMBIA, SC (AP) - A shorter school year, less end-of-year testing and requiring fewer credits to graduate are among ways South Carolina legislators could further cut education.

Members of a House Ways and Means subcommittee crafting the education budget said Tuesday legislators should seriously consider eliminating the last five days of school.

Agency officials said that would save roughly $21 million a day in salaries and transportation.

Other options include requiring that high school students take fewer courses to earn a diploma. South Carolina currently requires 24 credit hours, the most of any state.

Superintendent Jim Rex says all the options are bad, but he knows they must be considered.

Legislators are looking for ways to fill a $563 million budget hole.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:49 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,922,657 times
You are your child's main teacher.
Always remember that.
Your child will learn as much as you require from them and assist with their studies.
Doesn't really matter what school they go to.
Just as long as it isn't violent, which in that case, send them to private school.
Parents just expect the school to teach their kids everything and then complain when the kids can't read by the time they are in 3rd or 4th grade.
The parent should teach and know everthing that their kids are doing in school.
That's my humble opinion anyway.
That's what I did, and worked full time.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 PM

52 posts, read 345,133 times
I was thinking the same thing as I read the various posts and I totally agree. I currently reside in Michigan and alot of the negative things I am hearing about Aiken and SC I can say the exact same things about here in Michigan. I am not 100% happy with my sons school here nor can I afford to put him in private school so I work with him. I truly believe its all in what you put into it; that is what you will get out of it. I am moving to Aiken in about a year. One thing I am happy about is that Augusta is close by; which will give us more to do. I'm sure it can't be that bad. I've heard tons of positive things about Aiken, the positive outweighs the negative so I'm choosing to focus on the positive.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:02 AM

615 posts, read 1,694,505 times
I absolutely disagree. I believe I am of above average intelligence but there is no way on earth I could teach my son advanced math, science, even advanced English and writing beyond basic "memorizing" which is NOT true learning. Sure I can teach my second grader multiplication tables but I am not a teacher and I don't for a second think teaching is that simple.

Yes it is a parents job to instill good study habits and good behavior but I totally disagree that I can teach my child as good as a well-trained teacher. You totally minimize their job by even suggesting that.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:06 AM

615 posts, read 1,694,505 times
And in response to the OP, South Carolina has some of the worst schools but they also have some of the best schools in the country. As of right now, our state standards are one of the toughest so if a particular school has a good "report card" you can be sure it is a good school. I do believe that can be said for all states, there are good and bad school districts all over. So if someone just assumes that because someone went to a public school in SC that they are not well educated, well that just shows their ignorance of school systems in general.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,682,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
So if someone just assumes that because someone went to a public school in SC that they are not well educated, well that just shows their ignorance of school systems in general.
Agreed. I received a public school education in a well-to-do school district in the Upstate, and let me tell you, I was well-prepared for college and life in general. I am very grateful to be where I'm from; some of my college friends attended some of those schools that outsiders would assume represent SC schools in general. We got a ton of resources and didn't really "want" for anything. I think those who ridicule our schools should look at that Corridor of Shame documentary, see what the kids have to endure and see why some of them don't get much of a chance. Then donate or volunteer in them instead of judging South Carolinians in general.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 AM

843 posts, read 2,749,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
And in response to the OP, South Carolina has some of the worst schools but they also have some of the best schools in the country.
I don't know if you misread the context of my initial post or if I'm misreading the tone of yours, but I'm in agreement. My point was that any time the SC school systems are brought up, all you ever hear is how "bad" they are. You never hear about the good schools, or good things about the schools.

I have praised the public school system in every one of my school-related posts. The only thing I've publicly criticized here is how I wish the advanced/TAG classes were available every year, instead of every-other year.

The link I posted wasn't to note that SC is "only 11th in the nation", it was to point out to all the nay-sayers that SC is rated higher than 78% of the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina