Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 10:18 AM

5 posts, read 88,968 times

Advertisements

What is the cutoff date in South Carolina for your child to turn 5? I have a child who has an October birthday and would be eligible to start kindergarten early in Michigan since our cutoff date is December 1st. But I heard that the South Carolina cutoff date is earlier. Does anyone have any info about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 12:39 PM

12 posts, read 62,921 times
Check this website. I believe it used to be October at one point but it could of changed. Hope this helps!

South Carolina Department of Education

Old 06-01-2007, 06:41 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
I have a rising kindergartener. The cutoff date is Sept 1st.

I personally wouldn't want to put my child in Kindergarten if he was still 4 but that is just my opinion. Only you of course could decide if your child was ready or not.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:29 PM

192 posts, read 687,190 times
My daughter started K when she was 4yrs old. We were in Calif. at the time and the cut off is Dec 1st out there. The reasoning for the late cutoff is the school system wants to get the kids early because so many people cannot afford preschool. My daughter has a mid Nov birthday so she just made the cut off. I wasn't worried about her then because she had had several years of preschool and there were so many kids going into K with her that were also 4yrs old.
When we moved here last year, she was already in 2nd grade so that's where she was put. Needless-to-say, she's the youngest kid in the class (7yrs old) with some kids being 9yrs old already. Socially, she's just fine and in many subjects she's doing okay but she's lagging behind in spelling, writing and some reading. Whereas, in California, she was doing great in all subjects.

If you know you are moving here while your child is in Kindergarten, it may be wise to keep him/her out until next year.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:06 PM

5 posts, read 88,968 times
Thanks, looks like he'll be starting late!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:25 PM

73 posts, read 345,300 times
You have to have 2 years in to stay in the same grade when transferring. Like they have a age cutoff for K and 1st Grade and it is sept 1st. So if you wanted him to start now you wouldn't be able to move for 2 years to remain in the same grade (I don't know if that made sense)

Old 06-07-2007, 04:03 PM

617 posts, read 2,571,875 times
Grr. My birthday is September 3rd, and whenever I was going into the first grade all my friends ended up being a grade below me. (I believe the cut-off at that time was around Sep. 15th, around 13 years ago)

Oooh, that's weird. I can type a sentence that makes me feel old..."around 13 years ago". I don't like feeling old when I'm only 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina