Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,513 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I have been living in metro Atlanta since 1982. I will be retiring in about 3 years and would like to retire somewhere outside of Fayetteville, NC (about 3-4 hour of drive time). I want to live in a very diverse community. A community known for its cleanliness and amenities (shops, restaurants, cultural events, churches, etc). Preferably a city that has a small college or university (but, not the city of Durham, Chapel Hill or Raleigh, nor Greensboro, Winston Salem or Charlotte). The city does not have to be in North Carolina. I am open to Charleston, SC, and up I20 or I95 into Virginia. I have lived in Wilmington, NC, and will definitely visit the city to see how it has changed. I’m not interested in Greenville, SC, but coming up I85 towards Charlotte, NC, and any towns, near these cities are of interest to me. I want to visit these locations within the next year. This is a tall order and I really appreciate your suggestions.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 11:42 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Why aren't you interested in Greenville?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:23 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,874,369 times
Asheville, Charleston, Irmo (outside of Columbia) all come to mind immediately. Maybe Beaufort, near the coast as well........ I think taking daytrips and planning your retirement must be MORE than half of the fun of getting there! Lucky you..........

Old 06-08-2010, 03:58 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasty View Post
[SIZE=3]I have been living in metro Atlanta since 1982. I will be retiring in about 3 years and would like to retire somewhere outside of Fayetteville, NC (about 3-4 hour of drive time). I want to live in a very diverse community. A community known for its cleanliness and amenities (shops, restaurants, cultural events, churches, etc). Preferably a city that has a small college or university (but, not the city of Durham, Chapel Hill or Raleigh, nor Greensboro, Winston Salem or Charlotte). The city does not have to be in North Carolina. I am open to Charleston, SC, and up I20 or I95 into Virginia. I have lived in Wilmington, NC, and will definitely visit the city to see how it has changed. I’m not interested in Greenville, SC, but coming up I85 towards Charlotte, NC, and any towns, near these cities are of interest to me. I want to visit these locations within the next year. This is a tall order and I really appreciate your suggestions.[/SIZE]
There are many towns that have your requirements...well, all except for the diverse part. Oh, and you won't find all of the other requirements in any single place, but some towns in these areas have some of your requirements.

I suggest a road trip. You've already narrowed down the geographic areas. You'll probably have to compromise.

If you happen to stumble upon this Utopia, SC, please do come back and supply directions.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,513 times
Thank you all for responding! Two towns that I hope to visit before the end of this year is Apex, and Wilmington, NC.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:56 PM

899 posts, read 2,288,170 times
I already know this probably will not help you, but everything you say you are looking for describes Greenville, SC except the part about "I’m not interested in Greenville, SC".

Old 06-20-2010, 12:54 PM

360 posts, read 993,083 times
Hillsborough, NC is a charming historic town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina