Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 PM

32 posts, read 73,936 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody! My name is Megan and I need a little bit of help. My fiance and I visited his family out in Belle Fourche and Sturgis. They're okay towns, but what caught my eye was Spearfish. I'm born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio and have NEVER seen as much as what you guys might just call a "hill" let along seeing the mountain ranges and the badlands. I LOVE it out west...so peaceful, the views are awesome, the traffic..well there is none compared to what I'm used to and best of all, people are actually friendly out here. But to get to my questions, I was wondering how the job market is out there? I'm currently going to school right now for my RN and my fiance is going into computers. How is medical field/ hospitals out there anyways? We don't currently have any kids, but they will be coming soon, so ladies, how are the OB/GYN doctors out there? Any suggestions for one? And then also a reputable pediatrician that we'll need after that lol. Would it be better to first live in Rapid City and then after awhile move to Spearfish? We do eventually want a house with a few acres so that we can have all the critters we want, but I'm not sure how expensive housing and land is in Spearfish. No kids right now, all we have are 2 kitties. How are the areas in Rapid City? We're thinking of first going for a starter home or a fixer upper and like I said, down the road we'll get a nicer house with land. Any suggestions on what you think we should do? Thanks for you're time and I'm very sorry if I rambled, just trying to get answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 03:37 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Considering Rapid City has 50,000 more citizens it is slightly bigger and has more amenities. Spearfish is nice and more laid back.

For Rapid, I would not live north of Omaha street. For a first time home I'd pick something in Robinsdale or new Robinsdale in south Rapid, it would be close to the hospital. Regional Hospital is a big employer and always looking for RNs.

My preference is Rapid.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:35 PM

Why thank you SD4020! Does anybody know of any schools around the area that have a nursing program?? I can't seem to find anything, only in Sioux Falls Where are the best schools for kids? Again, I have no kids, but this will be the place we raise our children so we can be close to family! Thanks again everybody!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:54 PM

Yes, SDSU has a west river nursing program. SDSU has the best nursing program in the state IMO. My niece is doing her final year of nursing school in Rapid. Unless her plans changed again.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 AM

948 posts, read 2,790,748 times
My sister did the the same 4020's niece is doing. The Rapid City Regional Hospital also the owner/controller of the subsidiary northern Black Hills hospitals.

On housing in Spearfish fixer-uppers that are big enough for most families yet still in decent enough to live in while working on them tend to run 120-160 range depending on lot size, age, location, curb appeal etc, (not to mention what one is willing to take on or live in).. Getting a stick built home on the outskirts with a small acreage for under 200k would be a challenge and most likely be lacking on some level (size, condition, garage, access) once we get into the 250+ range the doors begin to open up to a broader criteria.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 AM

955 posts, read 3,647,647 times
both SDSU and USD have programs for RN in Rapid I'd pick Rapid as well - more job options and it is a nice weekend drive to Spearfish We have a new home in the "New Robinsdale" area I suppose it would be called.. .we LOVE it!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:43 AM

I think of New Robinsdale as south of Fairmont BVLD. I might be wrong. That is area I am looking for. It would be handy with my job and family. But I also like Rapid Valley and west Rapid. South Rapid is just ducky with me.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:04 PM

Thank you all for your input! We will be back in the area beginning of August to visit his family again and to go to the rally We'll have to make our way into Rapid City so I can visit SDSU and so we can start scooping out the area for a place to live. I am very excited with this condition, I cannot wait to get outta Cleveland and go to a place that is awesome in so many different ways! : Thanks again for everybody's help thus far.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Oops did I say condition, too much medical stuff going through my head. I meant decision lol!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Understood. I had a call on a Monday afternoon, they needed a decision by that Friday... I am out of P town. I am not looking back either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota