Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:53 PM

77 posts, read 152,091 times

Advertisements

So I've been trying to find an auto fabrication program in south dakota for a bit now. I read into West Dakota Tech, but unfortunately their Hot Rod Technology courses have been discontinued due to issues with not being accredited. Supposedly they are currently in the process of getting their accredations. Does anybody have any more info on West Dakota tech and their Hot Rod Technology program?

Or...

Does anybody know of any college in South Dakota/Wyoming that offers automotive fabrication programs? Unfortunately I've been pretty busy and not had alot of time to do much looking into all the colleges around the Black Hills.

Also, I've been looking into metal frabrication courses in general, so any info there would be much appreciated aswell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Western Dakota tech has a decent program and should be cheaper than the likes of wyo-tech. There is also a hot rod school deal just north of the Mall. I think it is the Hot Rod Institute.

I guess if it were me, I'd work fulll fledged welding, not just auto fabrication. Working a construction job as a certified welder is good money. Welding on pipelines is even better money.

That being said, I spent part of Wednesday finishing up a welding project on a flatbed for my pickup... I had the torch out cutting bolts on the old bumper and an opening for tail lights... The end product is really slick.

I have a couple more projects... I am thinking new front bumper and grill guard.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:29 PM

Awesome thanks. I am already a pretty good welder, though it has mostly been involving MIG welding and then only really on cars or fabcriation.

Thanks for the info.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:06 PM

A good welding certificate and proficency in all sorts of processes' would take you further IMO. Now that I have some space and access to some heavier duty welding equipment the projects keep lining up.

I just finished up mounting a flatbed to my 90 Ford. This isn't the finished product, but a darn good start.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Hey SD4020, that truck is looking pretty good. How long did it take you to take the back end off?

Oh and thanks for the info on the Hot Rod Institute, I've been emailing with a representative at the institute, he's awesome. Unfortunately their next class season starts June 27th, so it's a bit too soon for me to get in there. The one after that starts in September so hopefully by then I'll have all my ducks in a row.

I'd post pictures of my current project car, but I dont want to steal your thunder, especially after you've been so helpful!

Thanks again for the info.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:10 PM

6 bolts held the box on. So 5 minutes with a cutting torch. 6 screws on fuel filler neck flanges. Unplug the lights and lift the old box off.

I had to weld a new mount on the front. I have lights wired in and bumper mounted. This is a take off road work hard get anything done pickup.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:52 AM

Here is a finished product. I have a set of LED driving lights mounted on the frame and a set of regular lights to pull enough current to allow for the LED's to flash.

I want to keep the lights all protected. I don't want to bust up lights getting into tricky places

I'd like to see your project.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:55 PM

Truck looks pretty good, SD4020, so does the scenery

Here are a few pictures of my current project car. 1967 Mustang, still needs alot of work though. I just used spray can paint for now to help ward off the rust. Also shaved the big front fender flares, most people don't notice that right away. Shortened the trunk by about 5 inches. Chopped the top aswell, 5 inches in front 3 inches in back. Shaved the door handles. Removed the stock gas filler cap and relocated it to just inside the trunk...that way I get to show off whenever I fill up at the gas station

I've named her Frankenstang, and she is a love it or hate it sorta car.

Eventually, I'm going to have the hood open up just like the trunk does...in that it will swing out over the top of the roof a bit. It will be alot trickier than the trunk was, though

Old 06-25-2011, 02:17 PM

Wow. Suicide doors. Chopped roof, shortened trunk. That is sick. What engine will it have?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:48 AM

It currently has a 302, and I'll probably leave it that way until I get alot more money saved up. Mechanical tinkering is alot more expensive than aesthetic tinkering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota