Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:01 PM

11 posts, read 21,990 times

Advertisements

I am living in Michigan right now. I recently went on a 2 week long road trip and spent quite a bit of time in South Dakota. I paid my respects at Wounded Knee, dropped some things off at LOWO on the Pine Ridge reservation, and camped in the Black Hills and in the grasslands. I have to say I have absolutely fallen in love with the land, and the people.

I am currently working on a bachelors degree, so I won't be moving anywhere until that's over with. But, South Dakota is now at the top of my list when it comes time to relocate. Therefore, I am hoping to make new connections and friendships in South Dakota. I am not sure if this is where to do it, but I figure it is a good start.

So, "Hello!" to any future friends, and I hope everyone has a good and full life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:58 PM

20 posts, read 35,655 times
Just got back from there myself. Black Hills was lovely. We spent quite a bit of time in SD also and found the people there to be lovely. I have roots in the eastern side of the state where my great grandparents are buried. Even tho it was about a 5 hour drive, I went to their grave in Winfred to pay my respects and finally say all the things I could not before they died. I live in California and hate it here. On our visit, I realized that for the last 10 years I've either been running from something, or to it. I haven't figured out which yet. One thing I did realize is that I found a part of my heart that was missing in SD.

Good luck to you. I hear Spearfish is a wonderful town. We went thru it on out way to Rapid City and I loved it there. Rapid City is also nice. Loved Deadwood too, but the winters can be brutal....

Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,858,889 times
Don't worry about those "brutal" winters. We have a banana belt that runs from just north of Rapid to just south of Hot Springs. It is a little warm right now, but the winters are temperate.

uh

Old 07-19-2011, 04:07 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,111,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
Don't worry about those "brutal" winters. We have a banana belt that runs from just north of Rapid to just south of Hot Springs. It is a little warm right now, but the winters are temperate.

uh

sssshhhhhh! Don't ruin our reputation, Uncle! We want people to think the weather is completely inhospitable and we're all nuts for living here, remember?!?!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:49 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,858,889 times
OOOPS!!!!!!

uh

Old 07-20-2011, 12:37 AM

20 posts, read 35,655 times
Well...in regards to the brutal winters, we talked to a lady who had just opened a business in Deadwood, she told us it was her first winter there last year and they got stuck in the house for 4 days! lol! To me - THATS brutal. (I'd still love it there anyway as I have no issue being indoors a lot!)

You have a GORGEOUS state!

Old 07-20-2011, 06:52 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,563,163 times
I recently relocated to the Black Hills and I LOVE IT! The natural beauty and the people (or really, lack thereof...lol) more than make up for any downsides. I had to laugh when I found myself getting irritated because it took me a whole 10 minutes to drive home from the store during "rush hour." LOL

As far as winters, this past winter was more than a little irritating at times. However, I've been told it was worse than normal. I moved up here in the middle of February, and the day I actually drove up here it was 70 degrees outside. So, you just never know.

But you're all right, it really really sucks here.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:37 PM

11 posts, read 21,990 times
I'm not worried about brutal winters - I'm quite used to them

I lived in Las Vegas for about 4 years, and even though I love the desert, I much prefer seasons - even extreme seasons.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:26 PM

19,726 posts, read 10,505,605 times
I'm just now starting to appreciate last winter. I'd gladly shovel snow, today!

Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 PM

380 posts, read 1,001,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I recently relocated to the Black Hills and I LOVE IT! The natural beauty and the people (or really, lack thereof...lol) more than make up for any downsides. I had to laugh when I found myself getting irritated because it took me a whole 10 minutes to drive home from the store during "rush hour." LOL

As far as winters, this past winter was more than a little irritating at times. However, I've been told it was worse than normal. I moved up here in the middle of February, and the day I actually drove up here it was 70 degrees outside. So, you just never know.

But you're all right, it really really sucks here.

I remember that!! lol, that was when my wife and I were on that "surprise" vacation I planned for her to RC on Valentines Day weekend. Man it was SO nice! It was warmer in Rapid than it was in Omaha when we left. CRAZY! Here is what the temp was first thing in the morning:

It was just an incredible morning. No wind....peaceful...smelled nice outside and the sunrise was intoxicating!!

I can't wait to get back to the Hills for a visit. Wish it was to be our "home" but I guess it just wasn't our time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota