Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:07 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,260 times

Advertisements

I've been looking in on the Idaho and Montana forums a little because of a potential opportunity in Idaho and since I lived in Montana for a short time, I looked there to see if there was anything interesting going on.

Everyone in South Dakota (at least here on this forum) is SO NICE and welcoming, I look forward to each new thread or interesting bit of information. If you have seen any of my posts, you know I love the black hills. I've been a little afraid of actually pulling up and moving there because of the job situation and whether or not I'd be welcome because the short time I lived in Montana, didn't pan out too well. The job opportunities were just about zero, and everyone treated outsiders like dirt. I thought maybe it was just my own insecurities and the way I took things.

I noticed today that there are two very full threads in the Montana section about how outsiders are not welcome and a very large amount of emotionally charged comments from Montanans telling people to go somewhere else! I couldn't believe what I was reading. I understand to a point about the way the property values skyrocketed out of reach for natives because of the influx of Californians who'd made huge profits on their homes and then moved there, but many of the comments were downright hateful.

To me, it's just one more reason to love South Dakota! It's beautiful and I'm welcome there.

Thank you all for your encouragement and support. It is always a bright spot in my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 07:24 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Wow, thats too bad about Montana.
I encourage you to look into the jobs in the Hills....Rapid City is a growing city... I think you would love living out there!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
I'm glad that you and your wife are still leaning toward South Dakota. We can tell that you like it here because of your name.

There are times I'm also very surprised at the things I read on some of the state forums. Kinda gives you a bad vibe for the area, doesn't it? Hopefully the employment situation will work out. As for not accepting outsiders~that's rare here. It could happen in a very small town, but generally we're excited and happy about meeting newcomers.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
South Dakotans are generally open to newcomers. South Dakota is a diamond in the rough and has its hidden treasures. The state has variety. If you like the traditional Midwest/corn belt scenery, then the eastern part of the state is your ticket. If you like the mountainous and tree lined areas, the Black Hills fits the bill. The central and western areas have wide open spaces that have a beauty to their own.

I have read the Montana forum and I see some negativity towards outsiders, some of it justified (with the higher real estate prices) and some uncalled for (mean attacks on outsiders and even Californians, which there are decent people from there who are looking for a better life).

Old 05-10-2008, 11:26 AM

190 posts, read 433,466 times
Blackhillsdreams,
For your benefit, I have placed some enticing pictures on the picture page. If this don't get you here, nothing will!

Old 05-10-2008, 01:38 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgoldpanner View Post
Blackhillsdreams,
For your benefit, I have placed some enticing pictures on the picture page. If this don't get you here, nothing will!
Thanks for the pictures SD! I'm on the way. The wife and I are coming to visit June 28 to July 4th for the Mt. Rushmore festivities. Sounds like a nice way to celebrate the 4th. Thanks everyone else too! You all are just the greatest!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:05 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
blackhillsdreams, are you staying for the fireworks? I watched them in person at Mt. Rushmore 2 years ago... It's magnificent...definitely an experience I won't forget!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:32 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
BHD, if you want a great view of the fireworks but you want to avoid the crowds at the memorial please let me know. I can give you some great places with great views!

FYI: there are people who camp out at Mount Rushmore days in advance just to see an hourlong fireworks display!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:31 PM

205 posts, read 729,171 times
Blackhillsdreams, There is a Festival of Presidents in downtown Rapid City June 27-28th that sounds like it might be interesting. Maybe Danny can tell us if it is worthwhile.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:19 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Never been to The Festival of Presidents so I can't say anything firsthand, but I think there's a small parade and many businesses downtown have sales and bars discount drinks.

Starting this summer, 7th Street is supposed to be closed every Thursday for a blacok party. The Firehouse, Sports Rock, and Sanford's are teaming up to throw a bash every Thursday after the 5:00 workday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota