Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 01:39 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times

Advertisements

Jammie and other weather lovers in the state...

Does look like a potential big snowstorm for parts of southeastern into east central SD Saturday with a quick 8+ inches of snow very possible Mitchell--Sioux Falls to Brookings and Watertown areas. Areas farther west like Pierre and Aberdeen will see some snow but less of it...and the far west probably little at all from this storm. This is one of those Colorado low type storms which has abundant moisture with it and often track from the Denver area to northwest Iowa then to southeast MN...with heaviest snow 30-100 miles northwest of it. Of course things could change as some models want to track the storm a bit farther south than I mention above.

If you plan on any travel Saturday please pay attention to forecasts.

Last edited by Kamsack; 11-29-2007 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 04:21 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Dan, thank you so much for thinking of us. We were just talking about it at work today and all hoping that it would miss us. Any chance of that?

Unfortunately, we were supposed to have just a bit of snow today and it started around 4 pm. AND it's still snowing so I'm hoping it will stop very soon. Of course I should be greatful cause it could've done this three months ago already.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:25 PM

Jammie...

The latest data still shows southeast SD into MN getting socked with significant snow and ice accums from Mitchell eastward to Sioux Falls then to the Twin cities area. Significant ice versus snow line is very hard to discern attm but it would appear best bet for lots of ice versus snow would be Sioux Falls to Sioux city to Albert Lea to Rochester MN. Saturday daytime best bet.

I will continue to watch the projected path and let you know any updates.

Dan

Old 11-29-2007, 05:09 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,495,325 times
Preparing for power outtages, here....just in caSE. been thru it enough times, time to run t5he generator, just for good measure.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:35 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Ahh! CRAP! I have to drive to the Twin Cities on the 13th. I sure hope it isn't dangerous travel. Who knows, by then 10 storms could have passed through.

I will definitely make a pit stop at Wall Drug as I have never been to it before and some people won't stop giving me a hard time about it!

And I call myself a South Dakotan!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Yea Danny, and you call yourself a South Dakotan. Actually, Wall Drug is kind of cool to see once in a lifetime. We don't usually stop there on every trip out to the Hills, but it's worth seeing at least once. It's sort of like the Corn Palace~it's worth stopping in to see if you're in the area.

Well, luckily our snow has ended for the moment. They didn't predict much and I'm just glad it's over now. Kinda pretty if you like snow.

Dan, I tried to catch a bit of the weather on Kelo land tonight and I could've sworn I heard them talking about a 100% chance of snow for Sat. AND I have to be in Sx. Falls, but not until Wed. morning so hopefully the interstate will be fine by then. Who knows what it'll be like by the 13th though.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:18 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,495,325 times
Jammie.....
did you read that ICE word???worse than snow, any day. ICE.............yep, the generator's going to be running, need it, or not.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Wimps. Danny, you better damn betcha you need to stop at Wall Drug. Call your self a South Dakotan. Stop and getcha a barly pop.

Snow, the I state will be open. Hall butt. A few drifts here and there, just plow through them. Snow never stopped me.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:52 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I want snow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unlike Jammie, I want snow. Got my Carharts primed. Got wood split and stacked. I'm ready. We got about 5 inches and it stuck. Been in the single digits at night, 20's during the day. Took me about 20 minutes to plow. Now I want more. hhahaha Truck says, let's go.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 PM

Default update on storm Saturday

I am working tonight and watching incoming model data and forecasting for our office's coverage in eastern ND and northwest MN... 2 degree here in Grand Forks at 9 pm.

Storm is still on track...looks like quite a heavy shot of snow coming Saturday morning into early afternoon for the southeast and east central parts of the state...with 6+ inches very likely Sioux Falls to Brookings and Watertown. Perhaps a bit less farther west toward the James river valley with 4-6 likely Mitchell...Huron to Aberdeen with 1-3 western and north central parts of the state.

Also must mention that snow will mix with sleet and freezing rain saturday afternoon in the Sioux Falls area...and ice could be a problem. Sleet could also mix in in Mitchell and Watertown and Brookings as well.

Dan NWS GFK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota