Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:56 AM

66 posts, read 194,350 times

Advertisements

Never been to S.D, planing to drive from Omaha-NE. on Friday 23rd for a few days stay at S.D, for family of 5 adults ( parents, wife and I ) and probably will stay for 2-3 days, depending on whats there to see around. Also, if anyone has traveled from/to Omaha please let us know what stops to make and where, for sightseeing, stay, food, etc. Mount Rushmore is the only one on the list, no idea where its located though, heard about the black hills too, are they both far from one another ? Also, what hotel/B&B/Motel would you recomend while in S.D

Is it worth going next week ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 11:36 AM

98 posts, read 511,134 times
The day after Thanksgiving could be an interesting one. Sioux Falls is just a couple of hours north of Omaha on I-29, and that would be the logical first stop for a short trip to SD, as it is the biggest town in SD (140,000ish people). If anyone in your party is interested in doing some extreme shopping, the Empire Mall, Empire East, and other shopping areas will be unbelievable that entire weekend (fantastic deals and huge crowds). Not sure how full the hotels get, but you might want to try to get a reservation now. For sightseeing in Sioux Falls, there are a few museums (Courthouse Museum and Washington Pavillion that have some neat exhibits. Not sure what the holiday hours are like, but I'm sure they would be open. Those are both located downtown, which is another good idea for a place to go. The shopping crowds might be a bit less, and there is a lot to see, and fun restaurants to eat at. Minerva's is a nice restaurant if you want to spend $25+ per person, or if not, there are several other choices.

As for the Black Hills and Mt Rushmore, I'm not sure you'd really have time to fully enjoy it, if you need to get back to Omaha (I assume?) for a flight. It is a boring 6 hour trip from Sioux Falls on I-90, and we might be getting some snow next weekend, which would make it a little iffier. However, everyone does need to see Mt. Rushmore at least once (and to answer your question, it is right in the middle of the Black Hills), so I say go for it. You might also want to see the Crazy Horse monument, as it is WAY bigger than Rushmore (but not complete). I would recommend you stay in Deadwood during your stay if you like to do a little gambling, as it is a nice little town with plenty to do, and I'm guessing you can get a decent price on a hotel room since it is the tourist off season.

As for any specific hotels for either place, nothing really pops out at me. I'd probably just stick to your basic holiday inn, comfort inn, ramada, etc. since they are a safe bet and have good prices. We don't really have any boutique hotels in Sioux Falls (not sure about out in the hills)

All in all, I'd say it is worth going to next week (as long as the weather is good), just to say you've been there.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:19 PM

Thanks SoDak11, How far is Crazy Horse from M.R ? I've mapquested the route seems like Sioux Falls is on our way, so a day's stopover to do the above sounds good. Well we are from Omaha, so I have no flights to catch. Deadwood seems to be a good spot as I've heard about it too.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:42 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
SoDak did such a good job that there's not much to add.

I totally agree with a Sx. Falls stopover. The Ramada Inn over there is nice and has a nice waterpark if you like something like that. (I still do) Something else you may want to see in Sioux Falls is Falls Park. I heard on the news that they have their lighting up out there now and it's supposed to be nice. If it isn't too chilly, you may want to do the Phillips to the Falls walk. If it's cool, the shuttle may work better. It's relatively new and they have a lot of nice artwork along the path and shops if that interests you. (or your wife)

You may want to take a stop in Mitchell just to see the Corn Palace. There are many other things to see here, too like museums and the Prehistoric Indian Village, but the Corn Palace would be the main stop since you may run short of time. There is a very nice Kelly Inn and Comfort Inn and Hampton Inn along I-90 if you should decide to spend a night in Mitchell. There are also many numerous motels and restaurants here, too.

You may want to check out Wall Drug on your way out there. Of course, it's in Wall and it's quite a tourist stop. I have no idea what the hours would be since you'll be doing holiday traveling, but I'm sure the websites would list it.

I'd also drive through the Badlands while heading for the Hills. They're beautiful.

Murdo also has a really neat car museum.

AND the number one spot IMHO is Mt. Rushmore. It's a MUST SEE for everyone. Even to this day, whenever we go out to the Hills, we stop to see the Mt. It's awesome.

If you have any problem finding info or links, just let us know and we'll try to find some for you. And as So.Dak said, any of the mainstream motels will be just fine up in this area. Shocking how that isn't true in some other parts of the country though.

Just wanted to add that Custer State Park~near Rushmore and Crazy Horse is pretty neat, too. Oh and Spearfish Canyon is a beautiful, peaceful area. It's just south of Spearfish.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:56 PM

Thanks Jammie, appreciate all the help by you guys. I've made notes of all the places mentioned. My only concern is wheather the weather would spoil our trip...probably looking at Nov.23-26/27( includes driving from Omaha) would 3 days suffices to get a good look at all of the above ?

PS : Any idea how I could get info if any highways or roads being closed for work, I don't wanna take any detours and go in circle, prefer to be prepared :-)

Last edited by raindrops; 11-16-2007 at 01:20 PM..

Old 11-16-2007, 03:25 PM

98 posts, read 511,134 times
I just checked the 10 day forecast and East River looks fine now, but I checked Deadwood and there is 40%chance for snow on Nov.25. However, I wouldn't worry too much about road closures unless you hear of a serious snow system moving through the area. Being that you are from Nebraska, I assume you are use to driving around in some snow, so a little snow shouldn't worry you. Just keep checking the 10 day forecast for Sioux Falls and Deadwood (or thereabouts), and you'll be fine. I believe there is a road/weather info cell number, but I don't remember for sure what it is. I'm thinking 511, but don't quote me on that. I know they have signs up on the interstate occasionally with the number.

I don't think there is probably any road constuction taking place yet this year, but again, don't quote me. I'm sure the SDDOT website could help you with that.

As for if you have enough time. You probably do, but would be more pushed for time than I prefer to be. I'd say your trip would go something like this:
Nov23: Omaha to Sioux Falls. There by noon. Shop, eat, look around, get a hotel.
Nov24: Get up right away and hit the road. Stop in Mitchell, Murdo, Wall, etc.In the hills before 9PM. Go directly to Deadwood. Get a hotel. Maybe gamble a little.
Nov25: Get up early and see all the Black Hills sites you want. Traffic and crowds shouldn't be an issue, so it won't take as long as normal. Either head back home and stop at hotel along way, or stick around in the hills for the night.
Nov26: Long drive home....

Like I said, its more rushed than I prefer, but it should work fine.

Good Luck!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:50 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,718,728 times
I live in Rapid City and I often travel to Omaha with my family to see my grandparents. We never "sightsee" along the way because frankly there is not much to see other than "tourist traps" like Wall Drug and the Corn Palace.

It takes about 7 to 8 hours to drive from Omaha to Rapid City and once you cross the Missouri River and head into Western South Dakota there is NOTHING until you reach Rapid City and the Black Hills.

In Rapid City, I recomend staying at the new La Quinta or Marriott, which are adjacent to one another, because if you have kids they will LOVE the WaTiki Waterpark. The hotels are also built on the City-Bypass which will lead you straight into the Black Hills/Mount Rushnore and you can avoid Rapid City traffic altogether. If you are travelling without kids, try the Holiday Inn at Rushmore Plaza. It is a FANTASTIC hotel with all of the luxuries you could want. It also has a beautiful waterfall built inside that cascades from 8 stories above!

If you are budgeting, there are hotels like Ramada, Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, and Econo-Lodge built all along I-90. They will surely have room and be cheaper because we are in the "off-season".

Enjoy your stay in Rapid City and enjoy the Black Hills! Anymore questions, don't hesitate!

By The Way:

Mount Rushmore is about 20-30 miles from Crazy Horse. Parking is $8 at MR but parking is $20 at CH!!! If you bring a can of food they drop it to like $5. SO REMEMBER THE CAN OF FOOD!!! There are plenty of signs in the Black Hills that direct you to Deadwood, MR, CH, lakes, and towns so getting lost is pretty difficult. The scenery is BEAUTIFUL!!! Enjoy!

Here are some links:

WaTiki Water Resort at La Quinta and Marriott-
WaTiki Waterpark Home

Rushmore Plaza Holiday Inn-
Holiday Inn RAPID CITY Hotels | RAPID CITY-RUSHMORE PLAZA | Welcome

Radisson Hotel at Rapid City/Mount Rushmore-
Radisson Hotels & Resorts. Hotel reservations for leisure and business travel.

Rapid City Visitors Bureau-
Visit Rapid City - Black Hills of South Dakota

Last edited by Jammie; 11-16-2007 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 11-16-2007, 09:31 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
They charge 20 for parking now at CH????

Old 11-17-2007, 09:45 AM

189 posts, read 564,628 times
lots of animals,especially deer crossing hwys. be careful you dont have an accident with one. can do lots of damage to car as well as possible injury to persons.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:03 AM

Thanks Guys,
SoDak11, thanks for the itenary lead, however, I'm thinking of doing the stopover at Sioux Falls on the way back, coz. for one, its closer to Omaha, can do it another day and secondly M.R is further off and I don't want take a chance on the weather - does it make sense ? when you say stick around the hills, you mean Camp out ? or is there some kind of a lodge where you can sleep at ? coz. we haven't got any camping gear.

DannyBanny, is Deadwood in Rapid city ? which is closer to M.R ? Also, when you say they drop it to $5 when I bring in a can of food, you mean $ 20- 15 = $5 is what I would be paying or $ 20 - 5 = $ 15 is what I would be paying for :-(

Any recommendations on hotels in Deadwood ( on a budget, but wouldn't want a lowend or shabby hotel - remember the parents are there :-)

My itenary goes something like this.
Nov23: Omaha to Deadwood/RapidCity. There by evening. Eat, look around, maybe gamble, hit the sack.
Nov24 & 25 : Get up early and see Mount Rushmore & Crazy Horse ( Would it take the whole day to see these 2, if not, please suggest/advise what we can do to fill in time ) How is the wheather looking on the 24th & 25th ? Should I do both in one day ?? Also, some suggested Custer Park & Spearfish Canyon Can I combine these 2 for 24th & 25th ? what is there too see ?

Nov26: Get up early, stop over at Sioux City ( ANything happening on the 26th evening that we can catch..probably stay the night.

Nov 27 : Wake up early catch the
The Sertoma Butterfly House
The Pavilion ( What is this, someone just suggested this )
Sioux Falls in Falls Park
Please fill in if there is anything else that I could

PS: Should I book a hotel before I leave or get to one and check in ??? either at Deadwood or RapidCity ?

Thanks Pejuta, will keep that in mind too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota