Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 08:40 PM

83 posts, read 140,215 times

Advertisements

I was just reading a thread from a couple years back and a poster referenced Spearfish (fondly) as a liberal city often dubbed little Boulder/Berkley. Would that be an accurate description of Spearfish? Voting show Republican, but that doesn't necessarily mean conservative. Curious about this label, so if there are any Spearfish people out there, I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
It is a fairly com service town. There is a decent contingent of progressives. It is a college town and it has a decent arts program. At its core, it's still conservative.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM

Having lived in both California and Colorado and being extremely familiar with both Boulder and Berkley, I understand that the large majority of the population in these two communities believe in big government and their understanding that the average citizen does not know what is best for them, so, there are a lot of laws to keep things in check for the public good. The average citizen in these areas tend not to embrace traditional Christian values, but more of a find your own path spirituality. Is that the direction that Spearfish is headed? I think I have a good handle on what to expect in other Black Hills Communities, but not so much about Spearfish.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:04 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,235 times
It would be very difficult for me to say that any community is S D is comparable, politically, to Berkley or Boulder, however it may be evolving at a glacial pace in that direction. It is really hard to judge the speed of a glacier. I believe there is a trend, nationally, towards spirituality, but not necessarily away from traditional religions. I am not sure how one would judge the effects of that possible movement on Spearfish. IOW, I wouldn't worry about it. Most people just live and let live.

uh

Old 07-21-2014, 12:48 PM

Fair enough UH. When your spending the kind of money you do on purchasing a home, it's best to know as much as you can about where you are moving. I have learned the hard way about looking on the surface and not digging a little deeper to understand the communities you are considering.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:31 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,604 times
I used to work in Boulder - Spearfish is no Boulder, not even close. The newer Subdivisions have pretty lengthy covenants so sometimes folks joke about it that way. More Progressive, than typical Black Hills Towns, I would say definitely. Folks in Sturgis and Spearfish have more in common than say ones from Boulder and Spearfish IMO. People seem to have decent values in regards to respecting others space, privacy, property - generally good manners - unlocked doors (with a shotgun or pistol nearby). An areas traditional Christian values vary and often conflict with the Biblical values so defining which way its trending seems impossible since too often folks can't tell the difference.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:26 PM

Thank you, Eric. I think I have a better picture of the city. I don't see many people in either Boulder or Berkley having a pistol or shotgun near anything.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:11 PM

36 posts, read 68,379 times
Here's my take after being a resident for 8mo's. Consider this a drive by report, info garnered by local shopping, barbershop, and walmart.
Town has 3 factions: locals, progressives/hipsters, and beautiful people aka yuppies. Go to any of the coffee shops and you'll encounter the progressives ( silver ponytail ) and bierkenstocks, beautiful people can be identified by designer clothing, and the grande latte in hand while piloting a Tahoe, locals decked out in western wear.
All in all, considering the vast differences, they get along surprisingly well, and abide by the live and let live credo. I'd give the edge to the conservatives.
In regards to the locals? They're by far the most genuine, welcoming folks we've encountered to date, and couldn't be happier with our decision to raise a family here.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,351 times
lucky you wish I could afford a house on some acreage there.....that was my 1st choice till reality hit, on how high the housing in RC is....

Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,235 times
There have been many posts on this and other forums complaining about the high cost of housing in the more desirable locations. It has been my life observation [I am very old] that the farther you are from the Interstate, the lower the cost of housing with no other compromises in quality. Many people use the Interstate highway system on a regular basis, however if one only uses it a few times per year, they could expand their choices by looking a little farther down a state asphalt highway.

uh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota