Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 03:50 PM

22 posts, read 41,277 times

Advertisements

Considering a job relocation to Edgemont. Can anyone give us input on the schools and general feel of the towns near Edgemont? We are closely looking at Edgemont and Hot Springs, but wouldn't want to go past a 30-minute drive from Edgemont. We are outdoorsy people (hunting, fishing, hiking, off-roading), no stranger to winters (currently live in SE Nebraska) and tend to get along well with people when we relocate. Our main concerns are schools, good church options, and general friendliness of the town. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,230 times
Edgemont is a nice little country town. The school seems solid, and the kids that we have encountered at sporting and music events have been friendly and polite. I am not familiar with the churches there - maybe someone else can chime in. There are beautiful areas around Edgemont to find a house/property if you don't want to live right in town. Edgemont seems to be very affordable, though, and once you start up into the hills things get much more expensive. See my other response in another thread for info about HS.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:39 PM

We're all about friendly! The town we live near now is about 550 people. But we do love the convenience of only a half-hour drive to shopping, good doctors, church, etc. Would Hot Springs be the nearest place to Edgemont for grocery shopping? I see they have a Shopko there and a couple of grocery stores. And it appears that either Chadron or Rapid City might be the nearest big cities?

Old 07-09-2015, 10:30 AM

I think Rapid and Chadron are about equal distance away - not sure how the drives compare. That may make a difference in the winter. Hot Springs has a fair variety for shopping, but you would probably want to plan a monthly trip to one of the bigger cities. We have a freezer and an extra fridge, so we make a once a month trip to Sam's Club, and that generally works for us.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:04 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Grocery shopping is a huge ordeal around here. It seems to take about half a dozen stops to get it all done. Sams, Safeway, Family Theft center. target and maybe Walmart. I think a small town shopping might be much less painful.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:33 PM

That makes sense- we actually have two freezers and an extra fridge in the garage- I like to bulk shop and of course we need room for our side of beef and deer

Old 07-13-2015, 11:44 AM

Then I wouldn't think you would have trouble adapting to Edgemont or rural life in this area. There are a lot better ways to spend your time than grocery shopping. One big trip for the month (and a couple stops at the local grocery) does it for us.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:24 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,235 times
If you want a 30 minute or less commute from Edgemont, your choices seem to be limited to Hot Springs or Edgemont ot something near either one. Lusk, Wy would be about a 45 minute drive and Newcastle, Wy is a little farther. So, if you don't want Hot Springs, it appears to me that you should focus on Edgemont or near by.

uh

Old 07-24-2015, 01:57 PM

Ok so here's what I"m finding out about Edgemont- apparently there is NO land for sale there. The only land for sale even in the proximity of Edgemont is either up by Custer or closer to Hot Springs. Apparently the ranchers won't/don't sell. We experienced the same problem here in SE Nebraska with the corn farmers. We were extremely lucky to find the 7 acres we got here! So now we're looking at Hot Springs again, but all the comments about the school concerns me. Thoughts?

Old 07-24-2015, 02:04 PM

Whoops- disregard my last post! I saw some explanations in my other thread about why land is scare near Edgemont. Thanks, guys!! We'll keep plugging along and researching. Also planning a quick trip out in September!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota