Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 12:27 AM

560 posts, read 1,715,394 times

Advertisements

I'm a commercial real estate investor / developer and I've been having one heck of a hard time figuring out Huron. In my line of work there is typically a lot of information to be had on the internet, but I keep coming up dry with Huron. I was hoping to get a little insight from locals or knowledgable people nearby.

I'm trying to figure out Huron's trade area. With a population of only 13,000 to 14,000, people must be coming from somewhere to support a WalMart, Runnings, and Kmart.... not to mention the car dealerships and hotel chains that are in town. When I was there, I surprised to see Nebraska license plates in the Runnings and WalMart parking lots, but I suspect that was a fluke. There must be shopping between Huron and Nebraska, right?

My question is basically this... What towns or areas does Huron draw from?

Thank you in advance for any help or insight you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 10:25 AM

142 posts, read 308,537 times
This may or may not be helpful, but if I lived halfway between Huron and another larger town in the area (i.e. Aberdeen, Watertown, Mitchell) I'd go to the other town.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:55 PM

560 posts, read 1,715,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteauKid View Post
This may or may not be helpful, but if I lived halfway between Huron and another larger town in the area (i.e. Aberdeen, Watertown, Mitchell) I'd go to the other town.
That actually is helpful. When I was in Mitchell, which seemed to have lots of restaurants and stores, I kind figured people in-between Mitchell and Huron usually went to Mitchell.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:58 AM

14 posts, read 18,460 times
Default about Huron

CoteauKid:

What time of year were you in Huron? We are inundated with out of staters during the hunting season, which starts (I may need some correction here) around late September, especially for pheasants. Other than that, Huron doesn't see many tourists. State Fair (over Labor Day) is another time that Huron is full of people. Check the population figures, children is the largest population group. We have many immigrants, many of which have very large families. With Huron, there is no shopping for many miles to the east or especially to the west. The other big shopping areas are Mitchell or Aberdeen or Brookings and many Huron people go there to shop especially for bigger stuff. Huron has quite a distinct split between the "haves" (who make decent money) and the "have nots" who cannot get out of the trenches because of very low wages and part time work and no benefits. Kmart here seems barely afloat. Runnings serves the farm/ranch people (and is friendly to dogs, they allow them in the store and give them treats at the checkout! yay!). Walmart is for the shoppers at the lower end of the spectrum. I think hotels thrive on hunting and state fair, and the car dealerships thrive on the farm/ranch people. The hotel downtown does get some "state meetings" type of business. Hope that is helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota