Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:40 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,471,570 times

Advertisements

I've been reading here what's been said about the climate in SD and how the western part of the state is supposed to be more 'arid' than the eastern part,but I was cross referencing in a book I have and they claim it's more humid than places like Pennsylvania! Is that the case? I'd like to check it out in summer but not if it's hotter than where I already am!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 04:23 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,713,261 times
Are you saying Western South Dakota is more humid than Pennsylvania or Eastern South Dakota is more humid than Pennsylvania?

Western South Dakota is not humid at all! The climate here is comparable to the climate of Colorado and Utah. Summers are dry and hot and winters are dry and cool. Eastern South Dakota is pretty humid, although I doubt it's as humid as Pennsylvania, and their climate is comparable to Minnesota. Summers are wet and hot and winters are wet and frigid.

Whereabouts are you looking to visit in South Dakota?

Old 03-04-2008, 04:27 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,471,570 times
The book stated that the average summer humidity in Philadelphia was about60% and Rapid City was about 70%

As for MN I've heard people say that it was humid there but maybe their idea of humid and mine might be 2 different things

Old 03-04-2008, 09:16 PM

Wow! That book must be way off! I'd say Rapid City's humidity stays at an average of about 30% and it gets even lower. In fact, people who aren't used to the dry air and higher elevations get nosebleeds. Many tourists suffer from nosebleeds while they visit here. It takes a little while to get used to.

Sioux Falls and Minnesota are probably that humid though.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 9,929 times
It sure looks like the wind is always blowing in the eastern part of the state. I notice that Sioux Falls has an average windspeed of 13.5 mph in May. That is really howling compared to anyplace I have lived! Does the it seem to you locals like the wind is usually blowing most of the time, and blowing pretty hard?

Old 03-05-2008, 09:45 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carockwell View Post
It sure looks like the wind is always blowing in the eastern part of the state. I notice that Sioux Falls has an average windspeed of 13.5 mph in May. That is really howling compared to anyplace I have lived! Does the it seem to you locals like the wind is usually blowing most of the time, and blowing pretty hard?
Yes, we get very few calm days over here. The East River winds blow often and it isn't unusual to have winds of 20 mph with gusts to 38. They are starting to use it to an advantage by harnessing windpower for electricity.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 23,042 times
What's Pierre like in terms of humidity? My husband and I are thinking of South Dakota for a permanent move. We're in San Diego right now which gets fairly humid in the summer, though it didn't until the last fifteen years or so (too much building and planting non-local stuff, is what I think's causing it). I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio and lived for three years in Madison WI. It was the rag weed and humid summers that did me in and turned me toward the west. Now, after all these years, I feel like east is too lush; it feels smothering to me. Well, anyway, I'm OK with cold and snow (love it, actually), and I'm OK (can tolerate) hot without humidity, but a long, muggy summer, I couldn't stay holed up that long without getting stir-crazy.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:48 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Yes, we get very few calm days over here. The East River winds blow often and it isn't unusual to have winds of 20 mph with gusts to 38. They are starting to use it to an advantage by harnessing windpower for electricity.
is the western part of the state (Rapid City) just as windy? I've heard parts of Wyoming can be windy, like Cheyanne, so I was wondering if the western part of SD is as windy as Sioux Falls?

thanks

Old 03-05-2008, 10:41 PM

Carolyn- Pierre is probably more like Eastern South Dakota as far as humidity goes. It might be humid because the Missouri River passes through town too.

Badger- Rapid City gets its fair share of wind, but it is not nearly as windy as Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls is out in the middle of the prairie with nothing to stop the wind while Rapid City has the Black Hills and all the ponderosa trees to filter out most of the wind. Wyoming gets windy because there is nothing but prairie west of the Black Hills too.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 23,042 times
Danny

Thank you RE Pierre.

My husband and I were initially thinking of relocating to Rapid City but then we read about the motorcycle race in nearby Sturgis, and wondered what impact that would have on Rapid City residents who wanted a more quiet life... Well, I don't know how to put it except we're concerned about the noise and all the rest that might go with a tourist hot spot (I read that a Hot Rod school is opening up, or already has) plus the Mustang Show (or whatever it's actual name), and then the three runs from the regional airport every 'week' to Las Vegas, and we start seeing CROWDS, and get an image of Rapid City becoming a little Las Vegas (Las Vegas used to be little too), and well, Pierre came to mind--it's so small, and doesn't rely on tourism, far as we can tell.

We're 46 and 47, no kids, at a point in our lives where we want to settle, and settle somewhere relatively peaceful. Right now we're in San Diego (talk about crowds, tourists and so forth...), and the cold/snow doesn't bother us because going outside in parkas and boots and every other kind of wrap-up gear just makes for a snow-globe-world, but humidity and the constant vibration of motorcycles, well, no, we wouldn't be OK with that.

I'd be grateful for your opinion about Rapid City in terms of growth, the bikers, anything you think might be useful. When we finally choose, we're going to come into the area with the attitude of looking to see how we can fit in and what we have to offer a community, so we want to do everything beforehand to increase our chances of choosing a place that's right for us, then let the adjustment come as adjustment always does.

Carolyn

Last edited by CarolynKay; 03-06-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota