Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 06:43 PM

41 posts, read 128,986 times

Advertisements

My 5 year old daughter, a friend of mine and her 16 year old daughter are taking a two week road trip from California to Minnesota in June. We are planning to travel through Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. We will be staying in Deadwood on our way over and Rapid City on our way back. Besides Mt Rushmore & Deadwood, are there more visiting spots or backroads we can visit? Also, what is the weather like in late June? We will only be staying a day going over and will be visiting Mt Rushmore but would like to make the most of our trip without overwhelming ourselves. This will be the first time that far east for us California girls and we are excited to see the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 07:36 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,585 times
You picked a great time of year to visit the Black Hills. The weather should be great. I think it is highway 14a that goes from the interstate near Spearfish thru Spearfish Canyon which is an incredibly scenic drive to Deadwood. While staying in Deadwood pick up a road map of the Black Hills. Most of the motels will have pads of them as a courtesy. After seeing Mount Rushmore, you should head south on 385 and a couple other roads [check your map] to Custer State Park. There is more in that park than you can see in a day, but the wildlife loop is a must see. Herds of Buffalo are roaming almost loose and you will have a chance to see mule deer, whitetail deer, and a number of other species. Oops, don't forget to watch for mountain goats around Mount Rushmore. There is much more to see and do, but those two are my favorite wonders of the Black Hills.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:49 PM

41 posts, read 128,986 times
Thank you. After reading your post, we decided to stay two full days in Deadwood to experience a little more of the Black Hills. I am very excited to visit and my daughter is looking forward to seeing "cowboys like on the movies". That's why we are staying in Deadwood to experience a piece of the old west.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:50 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,585 times
I have been told that Spearfish has the best Rodeo's although I have never caught one there. Also, if you get the time, there is a wild horse sanctuary south of Hot Springs off highway 71 that could be a vacation by itself or a day trip.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:00 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Uncleharley, I'm so glad that you mentioned Spearfish CAnyon. That has to be the prettiest and most tranquil place I've ever seen. I love the clear water in the creek.

Chani, be sure to stop often in the canyon cause they have some beautiful waterfalls there, but they're kind of tucked away so you really need to watch for them.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:48 PM

112 posts, read 381,867 times
chani29f, a friend of mine here in Ca went to the Sturgis Motorcycle races a few years ago. He asked me for some info about the surrounding area so they could do some sight-seeing while they were there.

The following is some information that I put together for him specifically for Sturgis, but the places you mentioned are close by. You might find it useful too.

Things to see while visiting Sturgis:

Devils Tower. Take Hwy 14 north out of Sundance to Hwy 24 north. Devils Tower National Park is approx. 30 mile north of Sundance Wyo.

Spearfish SD. East of Sundance on I-90, you’ll pass it on your way to Sturgis. This is where I used to live. If you have time, it is just a nice town to spend some time cruising the side streets. Spearfish City Park and the Fish Hatchery are a nice place to relax for a little bit. Both are on the south end of Canyon St. Go wading in the creek.

Spearfish Canyon. When leaving Spearfish, follow Main Street south to Hwy 14A. That is the beginning of Spearfish Canyon. It is a very pretty drive. You can stop at Bridal Veil Falls (not really much to see) but a nice place to stop to stretch you legs.

Continue up Spearfish Canyon (approx 20 miles) until you get to Savoy. Turn right onto Forest Service Road 222. Take 222 about 5-6 miles to Roughlock Falls. Another beautiful spot to spend some time kicking back. Head back down 222 to Hwy 14A, hang a right. This will take you to Cheyenne Crossing, through Ice Box Canyon, Lead, and Deadwood. If you like the “Old West†stuff there is quite a bit of that in and around Deadwood and Lead. Deadwood is also the only town in the state where gambling is allowed. The food is good, cheap and ton of variety.

From Deadwood, you could take Hwy 85 back to I-90 and return to Sundance, or you could stay on Hwy 14A (Boulder Canyon) and you’ll arrive in Sturgis.

Mount Rushmore. You can get there from Hwy 385 out of Deadwood (nicer drive) or Hwy 16 out of Rapid City. You don’t want to miss Mt Rushmore. While you are in the Southern Hills, you may want to drive by the Crazy Horse Monument. You can see it very well from the highway. I was there 2 years ago and it’s not worth paying to get up close yet. Maybe in another 10 yrs when they get more done.

I do recommend that you take a drive through the Needles Highway while in the Southern Hills. The needles are on Hwy 87 between Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Of course I’d recommend that you swing by Sylvan Lake. It is beautiful little lake in a perfect setting under the shadows of Harney Peak.

There is always Custer State Park. That’s always sort of neat driving through the park and looking at the wild buffalo, burros, mountain goats etc. Watch out for the donkeys, they like to beg for food.

Rushmore Cave is supposed to be quite a sight. I’ve never been in it, but it is a popular attraction. Then there is Keystone, Rockerville, and Custer while in the southern hills. Lots of tourist things to do there. And of course there’s Badlands, east of Rapid City.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:56 PM

112 posts, read 381,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chani29f View Post
My daughter is looking forward to seeing "cowboys like on the movies". That's why we are staying in Deadwood to experience a piece of the old west.
You may be disappointed in Deadwood. It is not the same "old west" town that it was 15 years ago. When they legalized gambling there, it turned into a mini Vegas or Reno.

You see more "real" cowboys in Sundance WY and Belle Fourche SD, but they probably won't be on horseback or packing pistols. (You'll find them in their pick-up trucks and many have rifles in the gun racks)

Old 01-16-2007, 07:40 AM

156 posts, read 792,181 times
Default DeSmet, SD or Walnut Grove, MN & Laura Ingalls Wilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chani29f View Post
My 5 year old daughter, a friend of mine and her 16 year old daughter are taking a two week road trip from California to Minnesota in June. We are planning to travel through Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. We will be staying in Deadwood on our way over and Rapid City on our way back. Besides Mt Rushmore & Deadwood, are there more visiting spots or backroads we can visit? Also, what is the weather like in late June? We will only be staying a day going over and will be visiting Mt Rushmore but would like to make the most of our trip without overwhelming ourselves. This will be the first time that far east for us California girls and we are excited to see the country.
Since you are driving on to MN you will probably use I90 and pass by the DeSmet exit - home to Laura Ingalls Wilder for a time. Our kids are big fans of the series have visited twice during the summer and absolutely love it. They have a "Living Praire" and the actual home where they spent "The Long Winter". Here is the website:

http://www.ingallshomestead.com/index.html

If stopping in DeSmet doesn't fit your plans you could opt for Walnut Grove, MN. Here is their website:

http://www.walnutgrove.org/

Just a little out of the way idea for you. It sounds like a great road trip. Happy and safe travels.

P.S. Where are you planning to go in MN?

Last edited by grace1202; 01-16-2007 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-16-2007, 08:02 AM

156 posts, read 792,181 times
Default The Corn Palace

Jammie can probably fill you in on the details here but for an unusual diversion you could stop in Mitchell for a burger and custard at Culver's and then drive by the Corn Palace. It's just that - a building creatively covered in corn. My nephew calls it the "Corn Castle".

I grew up in SD and have fond memories to these little out of the way places on our way out to "the Hills" every summer.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:22 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
SD2CA, that's a nice post you have there. I absolutely love Keystone with all their cute little shops. It couldn't be a more perfect place right at the bottom of Mt. Rushmore. Hot Springs is another nice place to go if you want to swim in clear spring water. It's called Evans Plunge. The Cosmos is neat, too, but I'm not exactly sure where it is out there. In order to actually enjoy the Hills, it takes at least one week. Oh and a lot of people don't know that Harney Peak is the highest point east of the Rockies.

Last Move, those are great suggestions, too. The Corn Palace is definitely worth seeing if you're passing through. It's right up on Main Street and there are signs pointing to it. Also, a lot of people are enjoying Cabelas which is right off I-90.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota