Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:07 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,153,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsdreams View Post
You're both wrong... SD, you used 200,000, not 200,000,000. There are over 300 million people in the US now. Let's say that 2/3 or 200 million of them could use the "bailout" funds rather than dispersing those funds to the wall street investors (giving back to the rich) so that MAYBE they will open up lending and credit and let US borrow that money back AND pay interest in it (again!).

Ok, the short formula is 200 million multiplied by just 5 is one billion, multiplied by 700 (the amount in BILLIONS GW proposed to hand out last night) this equals just $3,500 per each of the 200 million people, or just about 3 times the amount of the recent tax rebate we got a little while ago. {200,000,000 X $5 = $1,000,000,000. Therefore, $700,000,000,000 = $5 per person, per BILLION dollars, 5 X 700 = $3500}

$3500, and even $35,000 would not have made a dent in the short sale of my house and the other issues I've been dealing with the past several months so I do not understand how this "rescue package" is going to save the economy at all...

In addition to that, where did we get the funds for the rebate a few months ago and how are we going to pay that back much less the next loan?
Ok, this is messing with my head because I got the email today. Blackhills you are right for the whole bailout package. But the email was for the $85 billion for AIG. So then using Blackhills math, I believe it comes out to $425 a person, right? Or if you take 3 zeros off each number so you can do it on a calculator 85,000,000 / 200,000 = $425. Darn math.

Last edited by tpabes; 09-27-2008 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:42 AM

393 posts, read 1,070,447 times
Correct! 85 billion is just about 12.14% of 700 billion. 425 is also 12.14% of 3500... So yes, the 85 billion email was either created by someone terrible at math or someone who fully knew that 95% of people wouldn't actually run the numbers and would just keep forwarding it all over.

700 billion is only $3500 per person figuring 200,000,000...

Old 09-28-2008, 07:31 AM

509 posts, read 1,350,842 times
http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate...nancial-Crisis

I found this link that talks about Sioux Falls being a town that may get hit hard because of the economy. Thats not good for me because I just bought a house. :S Hope they are wrong

Old 09-28-2008, 09:58 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,930,924 times
DeadwoodJ, I have seen the link provided and the authors made a statement that Sioux Falls along with others such as Charlotte are cities to keep an eye on and are at risk, but are not flat out saying the cities will go down the tubes.

I also hope they are wrong. Sioux Falls has a strong medical community and has a mix of other employers. From my understanding, Wells Fargo has been faring better than most of the other banks, but the banks may slim down a little and it may be something that Sioux Falls should be ready for and have a plan (with a long-term focus) to further strengthen the economy. Fortunately, in the past 25 years, Sioux Falls has made moves to diversify its economy and has been beneficial. I hope that the city continues its efforts to further diversify its economy.

I look at this way. When one door closes, another one opens. The area is and should be be looking for new avenues of opportunity. Sanford research park and the emphasis on developing a technology and biotech industry is a good start and may hold greater potential in the future.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:45 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,475,584 times
Wow, a lot of the economy East River is fairly dependent on Sx. Falls. All we can do is hope that it keeps going strong. Chris has a very valid point about the fact that the medical care is huge there. I live in one of the bigger towns in the state, but I've been sent to Sx. Falls for special care. It's the only place for miles around that does specialized things like neurosurgeries, etc.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:57 AM

509 posts, read 1,350,842 times
Yea, I know that Sioux Falls is quite diversified thats why I was amazed that Sioux Falls would be listed, but I'm sure if banks were to downsize the credit card call center departments (which is Sioux Falls) would more than likely be the some of the first to go. I honestly don't think that Sioux Falls would feel that much pressure like alot of other larger cities because it doesn't have the same amount of the workforce invested as other places, Charlotte is basically built on Bank of America and other banks. But on the flip side, Sioux Falls does need to lure more jobs (i.e. manufacturing and other areas) to the area because right now it is very heavily retail! If the economy goes down that will also be one of the first areas to scale back. Just my 2 cents

Old 09-28-2008, 02:14 PM

415 posts, read 973,540 times
Ok here comes Mr. Negativity.

Time to wake the hell up people. The economy is gonna do nothing but get worse and worse, bail out or no bail out. And if you think it isn't then you got another thing coming.

I sure the hell don't see any of the Prices going down. Yeah Gas is going up and down and up and down but honestly, has any of the grocery prices gone down. Nope, Notta, Zilch. I live paycheck to paycheck and just recently have spent all the measly savings we had in the bank just to make ends meet. And I'm not exactly making minimum wage here. I'm a disabled vet and the pay although not great is pretty ok.

You got People in america that just can't live without the Luxuries of life and now 90% of the country no longer knows the difference between a want and a need. Personally I would welcome a depression just to knock a few of the ignorant people onto their keesters for once. Wake some of these people up. Every little extra money I have, I've been stocking up for this economic disaster, I now have 1 years worth of Potty paper (especially that LOL) and about 6 months to a years worth of Food on hand now.

Most people can't make ends meet any more without working 2 damn jobs. How much time does that leave to spend with the kids, Family time, To cook dinner, to spend with kids helping them with homework. Oh I forgot, We don't need to do any of that anymore. The only thing we have to do in life now is to work and pay the man.

A funny (and really sad) thing that happened to me when I lived back in iowa (Council Bluffs area) was I had a friend there, She had a job at a place that made Fiberglass Doors, Mostly for hotels and an occasional guvment contract. She made almost 15 bucks an hour and had all the overtime she could ever dream of. Came to me and complained she wasn't making enough money. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. You know how many minimum wage workers (and this was back when minimum wage was like 5 bucks and change) that would kill to have a job that paid even half that much.

You got Colleges that are charging more for tuition than most people make altogether in 10 years time for ONE FRIGGIN YEAR of tuition. You got 65+ yr olds competing for jobs now because they relied on the SS system to take care of them (we all know thats a joke now, or at least we should). So ya got 16 yr old, 17 yr olds and 18 yr olds competing with Retirees for what little jobs we got left that haven't been auctioned off overseas.

And as for voting, we didn't learn anything last election when thousands upon thousands of absentee ballots and the like were just thrown out? Voting Counts my rear end. The elections are already figured out. I'm sorry but the politicians have driven this country to the crapper, while they sit there and collect thousands upon thousands of dollars for their pockets, while most americans can't even afford a cheap grisly steak once a week, even at wally world now. We got chinese product after product being recalled for health and safety violations, Food Born illnesses in many products now cuz apparently the FDA is too busy trying to help Old man boner products hit the shelf. Kind of amazing that most insurance (and medicare now) will help with the purchase of Old Man Boner pills but won't cough up a dime for Birth Control pills for the women folk.

We need to wake up and take our country back from these criminals. But we can't even do that because of FEAR. The fear of being thrown into jail for standing up for the rights we were supposedly guaranteed. How can you support your family from jail. boy the guvments got it all figured out don't they. fear and intimidation drives us every day to stay away from our rights. But what people don't realize is "there really is safety in numbers, The jails can't hold us all". But We can't even do that cuz there are too many "indians that wanna be Chief" and not enough Chiefs that wanna step up and lead. Remember the 4th Branch of the Government, the branch they no longer teach you about it school, The 4th Branch of the Guvment is THE FRIGGIN PEOPLE. Hold these politicians accountable for their crimes, Hold the Big Business jerk offs that are making millions per year accountable. I don't see any politician jumping up and saying, Hey these jerk offs have spent millions on Yachts, Cars, Homes and such and now want us to bail them out, Liquidate these CEO's assests. Take it back and sell it, They can drive around in a 84 Plymouth Volare like their Employees. Use that money to help bail them companies out.

And shouldn't we as the taxpayers have a say in this. Hellllllllllllll No. Cuz we put up with it.

Sorry to be so negative but I see things how they are, not sugar coated like the news reports it now. So people, Start stocking up on the Canned Goods and Toitty Paper, Pretty soon we won't even be able to afford to wipe our butts.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 PM

190 posts, read 434,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHomesteader View Post
Ok here comes Mr. Negativity.

Pretty soon we won't even be able to afford to wipe our butts.
Yea, but look at it this way. Chances are we won't be getting all those credit
card applications in the mail anymore. Thats an up side to it!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:16 PM

393 posts, read 1,070,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgoldpanner View Post
Yea, but look at it this way. Chances are we won't be getting all those credit
card applications in the mail anymore. Thats an up side to it!
Maybe they could start printing those credit card applications on softer paper with non-toxic ink and we wouldn't need toilet paper anymore...

Old 09-28-2008, 08:32 PM

230 posts, read 626,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHomesteader View Post
Apparently the FDA is too busy trying to help Old Man Boner products hit the shelf.
One of the funniest things I've seen written in a while... I know it's not the point, but I was amused nonetheless !!! Sorry to detract from the thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota