Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
That's another reason there will always be a speed limit in the United States. Vehicle emissions and performance tests are not as strict here as they are in Europe. Heck, in South Dakota a car is considered anything that can reach speeds of 45 mph and has all regulatory lights and mirrors. You can drive just about anything in South Dakota.

Autobahn speeds are high and even though accidents happen they are very rare. Sure, they're full of carnage and your chances of dying in an Autobahn accident are high, but your chances of even getting in an accident on the Autobahn are substantially lower than they are on an American Interstate. European drivers just go through so much more training than American drivers. It's like that because in the US driving is the primary means of travel and transportation. Europe has more public transportation than we do so driving is somewhat of a last resort.

Also, having a car in Europe is very expensive. In South Dakota, $40 gets you plates and registration and a license costs you $8.
Actually emissions standards are lower in Europe than the U.S., but that's beside the point. And you also underscore my point that speed limits are a poor substitute for requiring that people actually know how to drive, and drive well.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:51 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've seen pile-ups on interstates too, but I also happen to know that personal anecdotes are no match for actual data. And the data show that driving on the autobahn is considerably safer than plying America's highways.

I also know plenty about cars, thanks. I also know plenty about driving, which apparently you do not. I know that it is perfectly possible to drive at considerably higher speeds if your in a properly equipped car and you know what you're doing and the drivers around you also know what they're doing. Which I'm guessing you don't given your absolute paranoia about driving anything above the posted speed limit. Please stay up there in South Dakota if you're going to insist on clinging to ignorance and your speed-limit-induced false sense of safety.
Ugh, I wish this thread would just die.

I plan on staying here in SD, as I'm sure the rest of us will too... No big worries on your part

Note to the rest of the SD forum: PLEASE let this thread die...

Old 04-08-2009, 05:09 AM

415 posts, read 972,758 times
I'm for that as well considering that Drover is the only one in the country that knows how to drive properly and everyone else is just ignorant.

How bout closing this one down Jammie???

Old 04-08-2009, 06:42 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,498,348 times
[quote=DannyBanany;8239034]That's another reason there will always be a speed limit in the United States. Vehicle emissions and performance tests are not as strict here as they are in Europe. Heck, in South Dakota a car is considered anything that can reach speeds of 45 mph and has all regulatory lights and mirrors. You can drive just about anything in South Dakota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Ugh, I wish this thread would just die.

I plan on staying here in SD, as I'm sure the rest of us will too... No big worries on your part

Note to the rest of the SD forum: PLEASE let this thread die...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHomesteader View Post
I'm for that as well considering that Drover is the only one in the country that knows how to drive properly and everyone else is just ignorant.

How bout closing this one down Jammie???
Me, three..I agree.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:20 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Moderator cut: Thread Closed by popular demand~it's going nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota