Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:27 PM

819 posts, read 1,744,024 times

Advertisements

Glad to here your back. are you staying or headed back to the oven?opps I mean texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 03:34 PM

53 posts, read 205,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
Glad to here your back. are you staying or headed back to the oven?opps I mean texas.
Unfortunately, we had to leave last Friday and got into Texas Sunday night. You have the "oven" part right, it's been 102-105 here since we got back. Right now it's 101 with a Heat Index of 102......yuck!!

FWIW, my pool at home is 91 right now....and I wonder why I want to move back to the Black Hills.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:45 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Pool??? Did you say, "Pool"? OMG, I'll be down.

That was a wonderful trip report. I wanted to rep you for taking the time to let us know how things went, but right now I'm outta rep AGAIN. They don't give us enough.

RC is a beautiful area so I can see why you'd like to live there. I'll tell you though~East River is just gorgeous this year. We've had so many rains and everything is very thick and lush. It's not majestic like the Hills are, but it's nice. That's one thing I like about being East River~our climate isn't semi-arid so our vegetation is a bit different AND we have humidity and I like that.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:05 PM

Heh....the pool is open. I can only enjoy it for a few minutes until I feel like I'm in a hot tub, but you're more than welcome to it!

Yes, there are some good things about East River too, but as my family is from the Hills and I spent so much of my childhood there, I'm really partial to that area. The kicker is the pine smell. If I could only bottle that and take it with me, I'd be set!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:45 PM

819 posts, read 1,744,024 times
I hear ya on the pine smell.I wonder why pine trees dont do well in most of texas? anyway maybe you can look me up next trip and bring some brisket.I got the beer.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
I hear ya on the pine smell.I wonder why pine trees dont do well in most of texas? anyway maybe you can look me up next trip and bring some brisket.I got the beer.
Done. If I can get moved up there, then I'll just bring my smoker and we can have brisket more often.

Or, maybe I'll just open a BBQ restaurant up there and everyone can have some.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:42 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txchief View Post
Done. If I can get moved up there, then I'll just bring my smoker and we can have brisket more often.

Or, maybe I'll just open a BBQ restaurant up there and everyone can have some.
Good luck. Texas style BBQ places unfortunately don't seem to last up here. I love good BBQ, real BBQ not sloppy joes that people around here call BBQ. Sorry browned hamburger drenched in BBQ sauce or whatever sauce you use is not BBQ.

I have had visions of building my own smoker, cooker, on a trailer or old pickup or something. Just need to to score the materials and get to welding.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Good luck. Texas style BBQ places unfortunately don't seem to last up here. I love good BBQ, real BBQ not sloppy joes that people around here call BBQ. Sorry browned hamburger drenched in BBQ sauce or whatever sauce you use is not BBQ.

I have had visions of building my own smoker, cooker, on a trailer or old pickup or something. Just need to to score the materials and get to welding.
Well, I wouldn't do Texas style other than the brisket. All of my other BBQ is KC Style. I'm very partial to that. Sloppy Joes is NOT even close! If it's not slow smoked, it's not real Q!

Hope you can get that smoker built.....it's really a lot of fun.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post

The sloppy joes you're referring to used to actually be called "tavern" around here. I think it got changed cause we'd travel around and ask for a tavern and people would send us to a nearby bar. Then it went to "sloppy joe" and I have no idea why it started being called "BBQ." You can either make your own or you can buy a can of sloppy joe mix, brown the burger and that's it. Most recipes don't call for BBQ sauce~anyway, not the ones I've seen.

Just wanted to warn you, Chief~someone opened a BBQ restaurant in Mitchell and it only lasted about a year. I'm not sure why and I don't even know if the food was good. Just something you may want to check into since you're considering a BBQ restaurant.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
The sloppy joes you're referring to used to actually be called "tavern" around here. I think it got changed cause we'd travel around and ask for a tavern and people would send us to a nearby bar. Then it went to "sloppy joe" and I have no idea why it started being called "BBQ." You can either make your own or you can buy a can of sloppy joe mix, brown the burger and that's it. Most recipes don't call for BBQ sauce~anyway, not the ones I've seen.

Just wanted to warn you, Chief~someone opened a BBQ restaurant in Mitchell and it only lasted about a year. I'm not sure why and I don't even know if the food was good. Just something you may want to check into since you're considering a BBQ restaurant.
Thank you Jammie. At this point, I'm considering all options. The BBQ restaurant idea is honestly not one of my favorites due to the fact that the Hills are "touristy" by nature(ie. I'd have to have some other attraction to bring the ppl in as well). I've found that the locals tend to go to places not normally occupied by tourists, so I'd like to find something that would cater more readily to both demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota