Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:29 PM

412 posts, read 958,374 times

Advertisements

I'm coming up on 3 years now. Don't regret it at all. I've been happier here than anywhere else I've lived. And I'm learning to be tougher and more self-sufficient here.

I agree, however, that having a network of friends/friendly neighbors who will help each other out is a very good thing. In Arizona and California I didn't even know my next-door neighbors. Here it's very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 04:39 PM

819 posts, read 1,744,024 times
Yep the cold weeds out the weak.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 730 times
dear jmgg,

is the town really that friendly and close? my husband and i are looking for new begins in somewhere new. we have both live in a small town of madill, oklahoma since 1984. its a lake town and seems to have charm but thats only the smiles people put on there faces for the traveling thur folks. and i want more. and some where beautiful. im always looking at sioux falls. and is there much employment in these areas?

thanks so much
ccg

Old 09-19-2010, 03:06 PM

451 posts, read 977,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbat View Post
In Arizona and California I didn't even know my next-door neighbors. Here it's very different.
I completely agree with you. Not 100% certain exactly when, there are a couple of possibilities, but we are so looking forward to moving to SD for that and so many other reasons.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:14 PM

19 posts, read 32,500 times
Well, as a relative newcomer who knows NO ONE here - I am finding folks to be friendly so far. Now, its only been 3 weeks, and I walked into a job by accident the other day, I am liking it here. Spearfish is beautiful, and the weather is still nice (I know, I know) - I will keep you all posted on the doings around here if you like. I am still looking for work, as this one is really, really part time, but I could live off several part time jobs. I keep looking on the sd dept of labor website for work & also the local papers - you can view them online, too. But - I DO know my neighbors already!!! They have had us over for supper...TWICE!!! Who knew

Old 09-19-2010, 04:08 PM

819 posts, read 1,744,024 times
Default hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasnthru View Post
Well, as a relative newcomer who knows NO ONE here - I am finding folks to be friendly so far. Now, its only been 3 weeks, and I walked into a job by accident the other day, I am liking it here. Spearfish is beautiful, and the weather is still nice (I know, I know) - I will keep you all posted on the doings around here if you like. I am still looking for work, as this one is really, really part time, but I could live off several part time jobs. I keep looking on the sd dept of labor website for work & also the local papers - you can view them online, too. But - I DO know my neighbors already!!! They have had us over for supper...TWICE!!! Who knew
Hang in there it took me a month to get the lay of the land.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:59 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
I cant believe its been a whole year.Iam the most happy Ive been in years and I have the people Ive made friends with here to thank for that.this is my top ten reasons I love it here so much.1 my friends on this site.2 my friends here in RC.3my hubbys very happy here4The black hills5The big sturgis bike week.6 my kids schools.7lack of traffic8my stable job9black hills bagles on a cold winter day10Just the whole laid back way of south dakota.theres so much good I just cant put into words about how much love is in me for my new home state.thanks all for helping me and my family make south dakota our new home.
This just reinforces what my wife and I already knew....SD is the place to be! I am so happy for you and your happiness! We hope to be there in 9 or 10 months! Hopefully my cards will deal me the right hand and there won't be any snags in the plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasnthru View Post
My wife and I live in apartment complex where you see neighbors all the time. This is an "active" complex. (People constantly coming and going) However, I cannot tell you the name of ANYONE here. Why? Because no one is friendly. They would rather sit inside their apartment yelling cuss words at their kids and smoking with the windows closed. And when they do get outside, they enjoy leaving poop filled diapers on the lawn as well as cigarette buds and any fast food cup or pop can that would have been in their vehicle. Just this last Saturday I watched this lady walk to her car, open the door, get it, and before she closed the door she tossed out a 3/4 full can of Pepsi on the parking lot ground and then shut her door and drive away. Oh, and when someone is holding up traffic in North Omaha, we don't use a horn here, we pull out a .45 and shoot at the car holding up traffic. That'll get em moving!!! On a more serious note though, that is awesome that the neighbors invited you over for dinner. Sound like typical Spearfish hospitality!!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:15 PM

38 posts, read 93,693 times
I'm from Kansas, but just wanted to say everytime I've traveled through the I-29 corridor in South Dakota, I just feel my blood pressure drop. Beautiful Scenery, great state.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 678 times
I live about 22 miles outside of SFCA, even though I was born and raise in SF I moved out of the city about 7 years ago because of the high price rents and the craziness that has been happening since I have gotten older. From SF to out of the city towns and smaller cities when you get on a public bus these kids have no respect with their cursing and total disrespect. They are so rude. I am tired of hearing all of it and also being unemployed is not helping my situation. My daughter went to visit her boyfriend at Sioux Falls,SD this past labor day wkend who goes out to school there and fell in love with the place. She said she wouldnt mind moving there. She was talking to a cab driver who took her to the airport and he said to her that I shouldnt have any problem finding a job because of my experience in the clerical and medical field. I want to know is that true? I am having a hard time finding work here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have never lived in the snow before but you know what I am sure I can adjust. I really need some peace and tranquility. Can anyone give me some information so I can fully make decision on what I am going to do. (Thinking of moving to Sioux Falls, SD.)

Old 09-26-2010, 03:11 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1128able View Post
I live about 22 miles outside of SFCA, even though I was born and raise in SF I moved out of the city about 7 years ago because of the high price rents and the craziness that has been happening since I have gotten older. From SF to out of the city towns and smaller cities when you get on a public bus these kids have no respect with their cursing and total disrespect. They are so rude. I am tired of hearing all of it and also being unemployed is not helping my situation. My daughter went to visit her boyfriend at Sioux Falls,SD this past labor day wkend who goes out to school there and fell in love with the place. She said she wouldnt mind moving there. She was talking to a cab driver who took her to the airport and he said to her that I shouldnt have any problem finding a job because of my experience in the clerical and medical field. I want to know is that true? I am having a hard time finding work here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have never lived in the snow before but you know what I am sure I can adjust. I really need some peace and tranquility. Can anyone give me some information so I can fully make decision on what I am going to do. (Thinking of moving to Sioux Falls, SD.)
If you have experience and especially if you've had some formal training in the health care field, you shouldn't have any problem finding a job in Sioux Falls. The town has rapidly become a hub for the midwest in the healthcare field, even rivalling in some ways Rochester, MN and the Mayo Clinic.

Keep in mind that you should easily get employment, but the pay will be way below what people from other parts of the country are used to getting for the same job. The cost of living is less than much of the country, but not all places. It will be a lot less than living in San Francisco.

If you're unemployed living in what has to be one of the weirdest cities in the US, I'd take my chances and head to Sioux Falls. There are opportunities to succeed here, if you're willing to pursue them and not expect massive government handouts for doing nothing.

One other tidbit of trivia that I heard, but is not confirmed. Sioux Falls is supposed to be larger than San Francisco geographically in size based on square miles within the city limits. Our growth continues to expand out, while San Francisco everyone lives more on top of each other. A curious thing if it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota