Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times

Advertisements

Scientists have estimated the first cosmic census of planets in our galaxy and the numbers are astronomical: at least 50 billion planets call the Milky Way home.
At least 500 million of those planets are in the not-too-hot, not-too-cold zone where life could exist. The numbers were extrapolated from the early results of NASA's planet-hunting Kepler telescope.
William Borucki, who heads the Kepler project, says scientists took the number of planets they found in the first year of searching a small part of the night sky and then estimated how likely stars were to have planets. Kepler spots planets as they pass between the star they orbit and Earth.

Milky Way home to 50 billion planets: NASA - Technology & Science - CBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 01:53 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
So where are the aliens?

Seriously! It is incredibly unlikely that we are heading toward being the first space-faring race. It would be pretty crazy if we're the only sentient beings around. Pretty much irrefutable evidence of the existence of a literal God and interpretation of scriptures.

Well, they're probably watching us and we just don't know it. It's possible they're just not interested at all, but if--in a conservative 1000 years--there were, say 20B people in the solar system and we could get to a planet which we knew to be inhabited by aliens a few thousand years behind us in terms of technological development, I'm sure there would be at least 1M grad students just itching to go study them for their doctoral theses.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:24 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
So where are the aliens?

Seriously! It is incredibly unlikely that we are heading toward being the first space-faring race. It would be pretty crazy if we're the only sentient beings around. Pretty much irrefutable evidence of the existence of a literal God and interpretation of scriptures.

Well, they're probably watching us and we just don't know it. It's possible they're just not interested at all, but if--in a conservative 1000 years--there were, say 20B people in the solar system and we could get to a planet which we knew to be inhabited by aliens a few thousand years behind us in terms of technological development, I'm sure there would be at least 1M grad students just itching to go study them for their doctoral theses.
Ahaha love it

Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Quote:
It would be pretty crazy if we're the only sentient beings around. Pretty much irrefutable evidence of the existence of a literal God and interpretation of scriptures.
How so?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
How so?
If there is nothing special about Earth--being one of 300 million planets which could support life--and yet it is the only planet to generate sentient life-forms; and not many, or a string of them, but just a single species at a single point in time, then that's simply too great a coincidence to sustain the idea that life/intelligence/self-awareness happened by accident.

It doesn't refute any scientifically-validated theories, like evolution, nor does it point to which religion is correct in it's estimation of Man's origin (Judaism/Christianity/Muslims vs Buddhists vs Hindus), but it does indicate the presence of a force, we are not yet able to measure, having planted the unique seeds (or conjured from dust if you like) to generate this singular consciousness that we have developed. God is a pretty good name for that force, in my estimation.

Then again, when our alien overlords come, that makes a pretty good argument against the literal interpretation of scripture; which insists we're the only ones, as far as I have read.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,149,360 times
All those planets of the Goldie Locks variety (not too hot, not too cold) that can support life, is astonishing.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
If there is nothing special about Earth--being one of 300 million planets which could support life--and yet it is the only planet to generate sentient life-forms; and not many, or a string of them, but just a single species at a single point in time,
Who said that Earth was the only planet with sentient life-forms on it?

Quote:

then that's simply too great a coincidence to sustain the idea that life/intelligence/self-awareness happened by accident.
"Too great a coincidence" becomes a "mathematic certainty" when you consider the sheer number of planets in the universe. In our galaxy alone there are 500 million planets, 50 million of which may be goldilocks/habitable zone planets. Now, multiply that number by the hundreds of BILLIONS of galaxies in our universe.

How Many Galaxies Have We Discovered?

Your problem is that you are thinking too small.

Quote:
It doesn't refute any scientifically-validated theories, like evolution, nor does it point to which religion is correct in it's estimation of Man's origin (Judaism/Christianity/Muslims vs Buddhists vs Hindus), but it does indicate the presence of a force, we are not yet able to measure, having planted the unique seeds (or conjured from dust if you like) to generate this singular consciousness that we have developed. God is a pretty good name for that force, in my estimation.
Ah yes, the "Mysterious-force-I-think-I'll-call-it-God" theory. Where is the evidence for such a force? Has this force been measured and quantified? How about this singular consciousness you mention? Has that been measured/quantified?

Quote:
Then again, when our alien overlords come, that makes a pretty good argument against the literal interpretation of scripture; which insists we're the only ones, as far as I have read.
When you refer to "scripture", I'm assuming you are talking about the Christian bible. Even here, you are thinking too small by assuming that Christianity doesn't mention aliens and therefore aliens don't exist...FYI, there are many human religions out there that incorporate Aliens into their belief structure....Scientology being a good example. It's all what fairy-tale you want to believe, right?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Who said that Earth was the only planet with sentient life-forms on it?
Please read my posts before replying. You clearly do not understand my statements.

Quote:
Ah yes, the "Mysterious-force-I-think-I'll-call-it-God" theory. Where is the evidence for such a force? Has this force been measured and quantified?
No. I wouldn't call it a Theory, more a hypothesis. The postulation stems from a lack of another coherent theory explaining the rise of consciousness on a single planet in a single animal out of likely hundreds of billions of life-forms terrestrial and extra. Again, please read my earlier posts (for comprehension this time) to understand the basis of this argument.

Quote:
How about this singular consciousness you mention? Has that been measured/quantified?
Yes. Here's an example:
Quantifying Consciousness: Home

Quote:
When you refer to "scripture", I'm assuming you are talking about the Christian bible.
Why would you assume that when I had already mentioned the common origins of several major sects of Christianity/Islam/Judaism as well as the different origin stories of Hinduism and Buddhism. You're completely wrong. Again, please re-read.

Quote:
Even here, you are thinking too small by assuming that Christianity doesn't mention aliens and therefore aliens don't exist...
Whaaat? Did you even read my post? No, it's pretty clear that extraterrestrials are not in most holy books, so the non/existence of ET's is a good point of reference to use in validating or disproving those texts.

Quote:
FYI, there are many human religions out there that incorporate Aliens into their belief structure....Scientology being a good example. It's all what fairy-tale you want to believe, right?
NO, really?
Good point about Scientology, though, if the aliens show up, they will quickly prove or discredit religions/cults/hypotheses which do postulate extra-terrestrial life.

I'm not going to restate my postulates, so go back and read if you want to have a serious discussion. Otherwise, please stop freaking out at the mere mention of a potential deity or (as yet) unmeasurable force. We can call it FSM if it makes you more comfortable.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Please read my posts before replying. You clearly do not understand my statements.

No. I wouldn't call it a Theory, more a hypothesis. The postulation stems from a lack of another coherent theory explaining the rise of consciousness on a single planet in a single animal out of likely hundreds of billions of life-forms terrestrial and extra. Again, please read my earlier posts (for comprehension this time) to understand the basis of this argument.

Yes. Here's an example:
Quantifying Consciousness: Home

Why would you assume that when I had already mentioned the common origins of several major sects of Christianity/Islam/Judaism as well as the different origin stories of Hinduism and Buddhism. You're completely wrong. Again, please re-read.

Whaaat? Did you even read my post? No, it's pretty clear that extraterrestrials are not in most holy books, so the non/existence of ET's is a good point of reference to use in validating or disproving those texts.

NO, really?
Good point about Scientology, though, if the aliens show up, they will quickly prove or discredit religions/cults/hypotheses which do postulate extra-terrestrial life.

I'm not going to restate my postulates, so go back and read if you want to have a serious discussion. Otherwise, please stop freaking out at the mere mention of a potential deity or (as yet) unmeasurable force. We can call it FSM if it makes you more comfortable.
Your previous post was describing what is commonly known as Intelligent design...is that what you were trying to get at? If I misunderstood your post, what was your point? I thought it was pretty clear.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Your previous post was describing what is commonly known as Intelligent design...is that what you were trying to get at? If I misunderstood your post, what was your point? I thought it was pretty clear.
Gah! Here's the premise:

1. There are hundreds of millions of planets which can support life. (Proven)
2. There is only one sentient species. (Postulated)

3. As no good theory based on quantifiable physical observations exists as to how #2 came about, then deities, witchcraft, or other "unmeasurables" are the only valid hypothesis out there.

If #2 is proven incorrect, then the tenants of most major religions (at least strictly interpreted) will be disproved.

The science of Earth's origins indicates that our planet is not special and therefore there should be millions of other Earths out there--some for many many more years than ours--and therefore other intelligent forms of life.

My comment is that, as there are hundreds of millions of inhabitable planets yet no alien grad students have come to study us backward Earthlings (as far as we know), this points toward #3 being true. I'm not telling anyone what to believe, just making an observation.

IMO it would be a crying shame if we were the only ones. I don't think we are, but I can't ignore the evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space