Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 04:48 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar
Are you talking about the sounds of coughing on Earth and Mars?
Yes I just downloaded both clips now and played them back in SOUND RECORDER at slower speeds.. (I got almost to the right speed)

Makes ya wonder WHY THEY WERE RECORDED THIS WAY!! (Alot of stuff about Mars they are trying to hide)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:54 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes I just downloaded both clips now and played them back in SOUND RECORDER at slower speeds.. (I got almost to the right speed)

Makes ya wonder WHY THEY WERE RECORDED THIS WAY!! (Alot of stuff about Mars they are trying to hide)
I'm not sure I understand why you think the recordings play at a faster speed than they should. What I hear is generally a difference in volume between the two recordings as a demonstration. That isn't so unusual. I'm not sure why they chose a coughing sound though. Seems to me a short spoken word or phrase would do just as well for comparative examples.

As for darker colors on Mars, again, a couple of things are worth keeping in mind. One is that much of the Martian surface is covered with oxidized dust somewhat reddish hue meaning the reflectivity of colors doesn't always appear quite as rich and varied as on Earth. Another thing is that Mars is farther away from the Sun than the Earth is, so things are going to be a little bit darker. Granted, some photos have been enhanced in brightness, contrast and color, but that's just to help bring out features that might otherwise look pretty bland. The same thing is done to images of Saturn. Saturn's natural colors can be pretty unimpressive and dull to look at, and features just don't stand out very well.

As for a lot stuff "they" are trying to hide, what is there to hide?

Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 PM

Well when I play them back THEY BOTH PLAY IN FAST FORWARD MODE!!

I dunno why........... They play @ the right speed for you??

EDIT:

I just tried the files in Realplayer,VLC and my stream recorder program WITH THE SAME RESULTS! (Fast Forward)

VLC tells details on the files

1 channel
Codec: araw

I checked another WAV file I have on my computer (A system wav) and that codec is also ARAW but plays fine!

I dont get it!!

Last edited by Dude111; 12-29-2013 at 11:08 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Well when I play them back THEY BOTH PLAY IN FAST FORWARD MODE!!

I dunno why........... They play @ the right speed for you??

EDIT:

I just tried the files in Realplayer,VLC and my stream recorder program WITH THE SAME RESULTS! (Fast Forward)

VLC tells details on the files

1 channel
Codec: araw

I checked another WAV file I have on my computer (A system wav) and that codec is also ARAW but plays fine!

I dont get it!!
Yes, they both sound fine to me. I listened to it using QuickTime. The first file is what you'd hear on Earth. The second file is a simulation of what you'd hear on Mars. The volume for the Mars simulation is lower, but that's because the atmosphere on Mars is pretty thin to carry audible sound waves as there is on Earth. The lower atmospheric pressure on Mars is about 0.1% of that on Earth at sea level. You could hear it on Mars, but it wouldn't be as loud.
The Mars Microphone: Ready To Go

Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 AM

Try listening to one in WMP and see

Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Try listening to one in WMP and see
I just did. I'm not an audio diagnostic expert, although I do have a home studio digital recording system (Avid Pro Tools) on my computer, but I'm not hearing any real speed difference with either QT or WMP. The listening results were exactly the same with WMP or QT. Again, the only noticable difference between the files is that one is louder than the other, which is the whole point of the two. There's nothing mysterious about it. You have to keep in mind that the Mars coughing file is not an actual recording from Mars. It's a simulation to give people an idea about how sound can audibly differ between Earth and Mars.

Unfortunately, the Mars Polar Lander apparently crashed which also meant the end of the Mars microphone as well. The microphone was suppose to pick up surface noises from wind, dust particles, etc.
MarsNews.com :: Mars Polar Lander

It could've been pretty cool to have a mic onboard the Curiosity rover in Gale Crater, however none was included. I would think some wind-related sounds might have been heard, although maybe not quite a strong as up on the surface. Other sounds would be hums, whirs and clicks from Curiosity's equipment, and the sound of rocks crunching beneath the wheels as it travels.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:39 PM

Its very wierd then!!

Old 12-30-2013, 02:47 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Open mike night on Mars?

Mars has been the subject of many theories, ranging from the wacky to the plausible. Many "Artifacts" and photos of them on the net. They range from artificial ruins to dinosaur bones to ancient machinery. If Nasa honchos know anything, It's pretty easy to hide. Just show the public what they want them to see.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
If Nasa honchos know anything, It's pretty easy to hide. Just show the public what they want them to see.
The NSA didn't exactly do a very good job at keeping things hidden. I don't think NASA would do any better in that regard.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM

457 posts, read 693,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
The NSA didn't exactly do a very good job at keeping things hidden. I don't think NASA would do any better in that regard.
The NSA was very well hidden until Edward Snowden blew the whistle on them and the US gov't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space