Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:23 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I just wonder. Could it have anything to do with different accelerations in some ares of the universe than others?
There's the area called "Dark Flow" that seems pretty odd. Not sure it would require different physics to explain though. As yet, it still seems to be an unresolved mystery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 05:37 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
There's the area called "Dark Flow" that seems pretty odd. Not sure it would require different physics to explain though. As yet, it still seems to be an unresolved mystery.
Interesting stuff. I went to the wiki and then went all the way to criticisms. It seems curiouser and curiouser.

Dark flow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Interesting stuff. I went to the wiki and then went all the way to criticisms. It seems curiouser and curiouser.

Dark flow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting indeed. The wiki article mentioned that scientists believe that it's either a sibling universe or a region with a different spacetime fabric. How did they deduce that? As far as my understanding goes, wouldn't an immense gravitational pull explain it (of course, a sibling universe might exert such a pull)? The part about it being "different" really blows my mind.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:38 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Interesting indeed. The wiki article mentioned that scientists believe that it's either a sibling universe or a region with a different spacetime fabric. How did they deduce that? As far as my understanding goes, wouldn't an immense gravitational pull explain it (of course, a sibling universe might exert such a pull)? The part about it being "different" really blows my mind.
Even though the distance of another structure would seem profpund to us, if it has enough mass, it could have enough of an effect to pull some galaxies in our universe toward it. Another possibility is that space mighht not be limited to just our universe. Imagine if what we describe as the universe is nothing more than a single structure in an ever larger structure, a mega-universe filled with structures as large as our universe. It would not discount the Big Bang of a universe.

Then too, there is the concept of bubble universes or branes. Where these concepts get tricky is that they get into areas that are dimesional, with at least one extra spatial dimension, and perhaps an extra dimension of time. It might also be that Big Bangs and universes pop into existence from a scalar field of sort of a frothy quantum foam, meaning it's possible another Big Bang could have occured forming a universe very near to ours.
Quantum foam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just read this today. It may be an explanation of what's happening might represent peculiar velocities that change the expansion rate of an observer in relation to the smoother Hubble flow. Below is a pdf file outlining it. It's pretty deep technical reading, but there's enough to glean some of the ideas out of it. This was recently published -- September, 2011.
http://www.astro.auth.gr/~tsagas/Pub.../PRD/PRD14.pdf

Old 11-23-2011, 09:03 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
PROVIDENCE, R.I. [Brown University] — If dark matter exists in the universe, scientists now have set the strongest limit to date on its mass.

Just throwing that in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space