Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 10:32 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
Most certainly not. Dark matter is within our own spacetime dimension! Could DM interact with OTHER dimensions as well as ours? That's a question!
That is not what I meant.

If we don't know what it is...how do we rule out that is not another dimension that shows up as Dark Matter in our dimension?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 10:38 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
If we don't know what it is...how do we rule out that is not another dimension that shows up as Dark Matter in our dimension?
Pretty easily in fact! If the matter is showing up in our dimension, it's in our dimension, not another. If it was in another dimension outside of our visible four spacetime dimensions, then we'd detect the matter going in and out of the dimensions. It's all pretty static, so it's staying put right here in good ole' spacetime.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:46 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Pretty easily in fact! If the matter is showing up in our dimension, it's in our dimension, not another. If it was in another dimension outside of our visible four spacetime dimensions, then we'd detect the matter going in and out of the dimensions. It's all pretty static, so it's staying put right here in good ole' spacetime.
Maybe it is the energy that is released when creatures die? I know this may sound very silly but I always wonder what happens to our energy when we pass.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I am not so sure I believe this. I know we are limited in our ability to detect the infinite dimensions or how they behave in our dimension. We can't observe other dimensions due to our physical limitations as well as our measuring device limitations. How can one claim to know that Dark Matter is not another dimension? Just because we can't see matter going in and out does not mean it is not another dimension...it just means we can't detect it.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Maybe it is the energy that is released when creatures die? I know this may sound very silly but I always wonder what happens to our energy when we pass.
On a atomic level, we simply return to the Earth and we decay. On a spiritual level, I dont even pretend to know.

Quote:
I am not so sure I believe this. I know we are limited in our ability to detect the infinite dimensions or how they behave in our dimension. We can't observe other dimensions due to our physical limitations as well as our measuring device limitations. How can one claim to know that Dark Matter is not another dimension? Just because we can't see matter going in and out does not mean it is not another dimension...it just means we can't detect it.
There's a group of physicists that would agree with you:

Florida Physicist Says Dark Matter, Extra Dimensions Related And Possibly Detectable

But that was ten years ago and nothing ever came of it.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:02 PM

355 posts, read 869,423 times
If there are multiple universes, couldn't ours be expanding due to being drawn toward other universes by gravitational and magnetic forces beyond our comprehension and once the universes reach one another they combine to form an ever larger universe.

Multiple universes aren't so far fetched when one considers that there are multiple moons, planets, stars and galaxies. Nothing in the universe likes to be alone, not even the universe itself.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:35 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
If there are multiple universes, couldn't ours be expanding due to being drawn toward other universes by gravitational and magnetic forces beyond our comprehension and once the universes reach one another they combine to form an ever larger universe.

Multiple universes aren't so far fetched when one considers that there are multiple moons, planets, stars and galaxies. Nothing in the universe likes to be alone, not even the universe itself.
Even if there is a larger multiverse that contains bubble universes, the space of the multiverse is probably expanding so rapidly that all of the sub-universes contained therein are causally disconnected from each other, forever.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:41 PM

I subscribe to the multiple universe theory. If ours could exist, why cant others? Makes sense in the most fundamental way.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
On a atomic level, we simply return to the Earth and we decay. On a spiritual level, I dont even pretend to know.

There's a group of physicists that would agree with you:

Florida Physicist Says Dark Matter, Extra Dimensions Related And Possibly Detectable

But that was ten years ago and nothing ever came of it.
YaY I knew I was not alone in my thinking Thanks for the link!

Yes I agree on the atomic level we decay or get converted to ashes via cremation. However on the non-atomic level I am very curious as to where this energy goes.

I have experienced interesting things such as strong intuition (ability to sense unseen energy) and lucid dreaming. This is the energy that really interests me just as much as Outer Space.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 PM

Another question. Is the temperature varied in Outer Space? Or what is the range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space