Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 01:59 AM

107 posts, read 130,468 times

Advertisements

for those who died in space explosion due to technical problems from the spaceship... can families of those astronauts sue Nasa? How many people died in space? Would suck to die that way. Spending all of those years hoping to go to space and you die there in an explosion. Has anyone ever sued Nasa and won in court?

Rhymes penetrate the mind through deep meditation
so focus what I'm saying as I remain concentrated
for the last past days I prayed in a cave isolated
same place during the Ice Age the Natives migrated
witness strange observations of alien invasions
from early civilizations and today's greatest nations
it's not speculations, study facts, documentations
stories corroborated by Nasa's airspace stations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
It probably would depend on the specifics of the contracts between the individual and the government (NASA).

Old 08-02-2014, 06:22 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinM View Post
for those who died in space explosion due to technical problems from the spaceship... can families of those astronauts sue Nasa? How many people died in space? Would suck to die that way. Spending all of those years hoping to go to space and you die there in an explosion. Has anyone ever sued Nasa and won in court?
Could NASA be sued? Of course they can. I don't think anyone in the US has ever actually sued NASA in court, but the families of the Challenger space shuttle crew received compensation through the Justice Department in an out-of-court settlement. Families each received $750,000.
4 Challenger Families Get Settlement : Each Will Receive at Least $750,000; Thiokol to Pay 60% - Los Angeles Times

Families of the Columbia space shuttle received a combined amount of $26.6 million.
$26.6 million paid to Columbia families - Technology & science - Space - Human spaceflight | NBC News

Apparently, there has been a total of 20 astronauts who have accidentally died, but I don't think any died directly in space though.
The Fallen Heroes of Human Spaceflight

Being an astronaut also includes the risk of accidental death. When you think about it, the type of fuel used for rockets are highly explosive. But then there's a risk of dying in an automobile accident, drowning in a boating accident, etc. People who work in mines risk accidents from cave-ins and explosions. There aren't any kinds of fatal accidents that are pleasant experiences for the person who dies or for the emotional impact to their family and friends.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:47 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,358 times
Scientist Sues NASA, Alleges Failure To Investigate Alien Life On Mars

My favorite NASA lawsuit to date.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space