Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 11:04 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times

Advertisements

I can’t wait. The lensing effect we see around the EH should give us a more accurate idea of black holes’ mass and gravitational fields.

Hopefully it’s a good picture!

Does anyone know if they were looking to photograph the supermassive black hole in Saggittarius A or were they combing the general sky looking for any black holes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 07:21 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I can’t wait. The lensing effect we see around the EH should give us a more accurate idea of black holes’ mass and gravitational fields.

Hopefully it’s a good picture!

Does anyone know if they were looking to photograph the supermassive black hole in Saggittarius A or were they combing the general sky looking for any black holes?
Apparently, both SgrA* at the center of the Milky Way and M87 in the center of the Virgo A galaxy have been the focus of the EHT collaboration.
The EHT is an international collaboration that has formed to continue the steady long-term progress on improving the capability of Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI) at short wavelengths in pursuit of this goal. This technique of linking radio dishes across the globe to create an Earth-sized interferometer, has been used to measure the size of the emission regions of the two supermassive black holes with the largest apparent event horizons: SgrA* at the center of the Milky Way and M87 in the center of the Virgo A galaxy. In both cases, the sizes match that of the predicted silhouette caused by the extreme lensing of light by the black hole. Addition of key millimeter and submillimeter wavelength facilities at high altitude sites has now opened the possibility of imaging such features and sensing the dynamic evolution of black hole accretion. The EHT project includes theoretical and simulation studies that are framing questions rooted at the black hole boundary that may soon be answered through observations. [Bolding mine]

https://eventhorizontelescope.org/about

Old 04-08-2019, 08:00 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I have no idea about the science behind these things but sounds very cool.

I think the average public is expecting something like those Hubble images of Lagoon Nebula.

It's probably going to be something like radio waves or a faint image that will need a lot of captions to understand what we are seeing.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:09 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
I guess the reason that this is such a big deal is that it will, amongst other things, test out Einstein’s theory of relativity in the ultimate strong gravity environment. So there is a possibility that tomorrow’s announcement could upend Einstein’s theory. I’m not sure what the bookmakers odds are on that occurring but it’s damn cool anyways. Either Einstein’s theory will hold up or it won’t. I’m probably going to be late to the Einstein is wrong party... but we’ll see soon enough.

This video explains it quite well what is to be uncovered at tomorrow’s multiple press conferences:

https://youtu.be/zUyH3XhpLTo

https://www.yahoo.com/news/first-pho...221604766.html

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 04-09-2019 at 01:33 PM..

Old 04-09-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I guess the reason that this is such a big deal is that it will, amongst other things, test out Einstein’s theory of relativity in the ultimate strong gravity environment. So there is a possibility that tomorrow’s announcement could upend Einstein’s theory. I’m not sure what the bookmakers odds are on that occurring but it’s damn cool anyways. Either Einstein’s theory will hold up or it won’t. I’m probably going to be late to the Einstein is wrong party... but we’ll see soon enough.

This video explains it quite well what is to be uncovered at tomorrow’s multiple press conferences:

https://youtu.be/zUyH3XhpLTo

https://www.yahoo.com/news/first-pho...221604766.html
Good information in the first video.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:58 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Here it is

Old 04-10-2019, 08:17 AM

Amazing. It looks like a donut with orange icing. It took a tremendous amount of effort to achieve that image. And we now know that Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity holds up under extreme gravitational conditions.

This is the black hole at the center of the galaxy Messier 87. I hope they have as much success with imaging Sagittarius A at our own Milky Way's center.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:29 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Amazing. It looks like a donut with orange icing. It took a tremendous amount of effort to achieve that image. And we now know that Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity holds up under extreme gravitational conditions.

This is the black hole at the center of the galaxy Messier 87. I hope they have as much success with imaging Sagittarius A at our own Milky Way's center.
The black hole in Sag A is harder to capture because it's much smaller and has more material in the way. They mentioned that eventually they will try and get a Sag A pic. M87 is MASSIVE. More info below.

The image also provides a new measurement of the black hole’s size and heft. “Our mass determination by just directly looking at the shadow has helped resolve a longstanding controversy,” Sera Markoff, a theoretical astrophysicist at the University of Amsterdam, said in the Washington, D.C., news conference. Estimates made using different techniques have ranged between 3.5 billion and 7.22 billion times the mass of the sun. But new the EHT measurements show that its mass is about 6.5 billion solar masses.

The team has also determined the behemoth’s size — its diameter stretches 38 billion kilometers — and that the black hole spins clockwise. “M87 is a monster even by supermassive black hole standards,” Sera said.

EHT trained its sights on both M87’s black hole and Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way. But, it turns out, it was easier to image M87’s monster. That black hole is more than 50 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Virgo, about 2,000 times as far as Sgr A*. But it’s also about 1,000 times as massive as the Milky Way’s giant, which weighs the equivalent of roughly 4 million suns. That extra heft nearly balances out M87’s distance. “The size in the sky is pretty darn similar,” says EHT team member Feryal Özel.

Last edited by Diesel350z; 04-10-2019 at 08:37 AM..

Old 04-10-2019, 08:47 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
The team has also determined the behemoth’s size — its diameter stretches 38 billion kilometers — and that the black hole spins clockwise. “M87 is a monster even by supermassive black hole standards,” Sera said.
Yeah, I saw the press conference live on YouTube, I highly recommend it to everybody, even if you aren't a science geek, and remember the guy from the University of Waterloo mentioning that the black hole pictured was about 1 and a half light days wide and did a quick calculation, knowing a light day is 26 billion km, so 1 and a half would be ~39 billion km wide or 24 billion miles wide!

Old 04-10-2019, 10:56 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Here’s the video link for today’s press conference. It starts around the 1 hour mark:

https://youtu.be/re_o0uckG-M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space