Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:10 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,842,110 times

Advertisements

Bye-bye, Betelgeuse?
A nearby, well-known and very bright star may soon explode in a supernova, according to data released by U.C. Berkeley researchers Tuesday.
The red giant Betelgeuse, once so large it would reach out to Jupiter's orbit if placed in our own solar system, has shrunk by 15 percent over the past decade in a half, although it's just as bright as it's ever been.

Nearby Star May Be Getting Ready to Explode - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

06.09.2009 - Red giant star Betelgeuse mysteriously shrinking

The Great Beyond: Betelgeuse about to blow?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,640,111 times
As near as I can tell, there's no precise measurement of the size of Betelgeuse because the gas surrounding it both radiates and absorbs light. If it does explode, it should provide an impressive, non-dangerous, light show 600 years after the explosion. Ande ven if Betelgeuse blows out of existance, the gas clouds ejected from it may provide material for the birth of new stars.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:34 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,446,439 times
I'm very glad it is 640 light years away. My only concern is the axis of rotation. When neutron stars form, they create shafts of gamma radiation. Not saying that Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is going to go that route, but just raising the issue as a topic of discussion.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,842,110 times
I saw a documentary on the subject about 4 or 5 months ago and Betelgeuse came up. If it did go super nova and it was pointed in our direction, we would be toast! Regardless, we should have 600 years notice, unless it did it 600 years ago and we're about to be toast now. What can I say, betwseen Jellystone Park, volcano on islands off African coast that can slide into ocean creating 600 foot sunamie (sp), Volcanos in far east, earthquakes in LA, North Korea, Pakistan, Iran, just somthing else to be concerned about. Nice.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,640,111 times
Interestingly, I'm finding a wide variation in the estimated distance of Betelgeuse, anywhere from less than 430 LY to over 600 LY. Not sure why. Regardless, it's an unbelievably gigantic star.

It could become a neutron star or a pulsar, but no one really knows when it will blow or what it will become. For people who don't know much about neutron stars and pulsars, here are a couple of links that can help understand them. The first one has a couple of pretty good animated gifs that show behavior.
Neutron stars

Pulsars

YouTube - Betelgeuse Surface Video + Going Supernova

YouTube - Betelgeuse Star

Just for what it's worth, Betelgeuse truly a gigantic star that would
make our sun look invisible next to it. But there are other stars that
make Betelgeuse look small. Check this video for mind-numbing size
comparisons.

YouTube - The Planets and Stars in Scale from Smallest to Biggest!!!!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:05 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
Yeah, I hope scientists watch this one carefully. If it looks like it is going to collapse into a neutron star with an axis of neutron radiation pointed in our direction, or a pulsar, then we're in deep doo doo. Time for those underground colonies!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Yeah, I hope scientists watch this one carefully. If it looks like it is going to collapse into a neutron star with an axis of neutron radiation pointed in our direction, or a pulsar, then we're in deep doo doo. Time for those underground colonies!
Wouldn't work. Seriously, there would be nothing that could be done to shield life in such a situation. The good news is the distance and the fairly narrow beam make such a situation EXTREMELY improbable.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I saw a documentary on the subject about 4 or 5 months ago and Betelgeuse came up. If it did go super nova and it was pointed in our direction, we would be toast! Regardless, we should have 600 years notice, unless it did it 600 years ago and we're about to be toast now. What can I say, betwseen Jellystone Park, volcano on islands off African coast that can slide into ocean creating 600 foot sunamie (sp), Volcanos in far east, earthquakes in LA, North Korea, Pakistan, Iran, just somthing else to be concerned about. Nice.
I think the volcanic islands(I forget their name) have fractured into a landslide before and are close again. Water intrusions between volcanic columns are destabilizing the entire western side of the island. Back on track if people are not aware check out www.WorldWideTelescope.org it is a great site ....you can rotate planets etc.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:37 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
This enormous star will destroy us all! Arrrrghhhhh!!!!!! ( Runs off screaming and jumps out a window)

Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 PM

What was that? It felt like a sudden change in the force... as if thousands of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then were silent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space