Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 10:05 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,803 times

Advertisements

My 21 year old son has been living in California with his dad for the last 8 years. Before that, he lived with me for 13 years (10 of those by myself). I have been living in North Carolina the last 8 years. My son was visiting every summer then he started doing more activities through the Special Olympics and then started working so now he is here visiting for the first time in 3 years.

Before we moved to NC, my son was doing great! His teachers and therapists were all sure he was going to graduate from high school, go to college and have a successfull independent life. 8 years later, he is a different person. He seems to be in a dark place with extreme anxiety. He is having panic attacks and shows some very subtle signs of rage. Something I have NEVER seen before with him.

His dad calls him several times a day to ask if he is showering propery, if he is flossing, if he is brushing his teeth twice a day. Its an obsession. I can sit and watch the anxiety level in my son go up. His dad is more worried about hygiene than about making sure my son has an education so he can be somewhat self sufficient.

Now it is time to send my son home to his dad's house in California. I am a mess. My son and I have had MANY talks about him living here and he refuses. Because at his dad's house, he doesnt have to do anything. He sits around and plays video games and stays isolated.

So my worry is what happens if/when his dad and/or I pass. Can we get joint conservatorship? Any advice is well appreciated. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 11:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
My 21 year old son has been living in California with his dad for the last 8 years. Before that, he lived with me for 13 years (10 of those by myself). I have been living in North Carolina the last 8 years. My son was visiting every summer then he started doing more activities through the Special Olympics and then started working so now he is here visiting for the first time in 3 years.

Before we moved to NC, my son was doing great!
His teachers and therapists were all sure he was going to graduate from high school, go to college and have a successfull independent life. 8 years later, he is a different person. He seems to be in a dark place with extreme anxiety. He is having panic attacks and shows some very subtle signs of rage. Something I have NEVER seen before with him.

His dad calls him several times a day to ask if he is showering propery, if he is flossing, if he is brushing his teeth twice a day. Its an obsession. I can sit and watch the anxiety level in my son go up. His dad is more worried about hygiene than about making sure my son has an education so he can be somewhat self sufficient.

Now it is time to send my son home to his dad's house in California. I am a mess. My son and I have had MANY talks about him living here and he refuses. Because at his dad's house, he doesnt have to do anything. He sits around and plays video games and stays isolated.

So my worry is what happens if/when his dad and/or I pass. Can we get joint conservatorship? Any advice is well appreciated. Thanks for listening.
A few questions. Your son is 21. Did he graduate from high school or not? Is he planning on going to college?

While a lot can change in a few years, it seems odd that your son was able to handle grooming and hygiene as a 13 year old be needs reminders as a 21 year old? Frankly, I do not know how disabled an adult has to be before they lose their rights to be independent. If his teachers (at age 13) felt that he would be able to attend college and be self-sufficient as an adult I would wonder if he would qualify to have a "conservator" (or whatever).

Who is supporting your son? Does he earn enough on his job to have his own apartment, pay for his own utilities, buy his own food, etc.? Does you ex-husband expect that your son will live at home forever?

Is his father autistic, too?

Old 08-02-2016, 01:59 PM

748 posts, read 1,375,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
A few questions. Your son is 21. Did he graduate from high school or not? Is he planning on going to college?

While a lot can change in a few years, it seems odd that your son was able to handle grooming and hygiene as a 13 year old be needs reminders as a 21 year old? Frankly, I do not know how disabled an adult has to be before they lose their rights to be independent. If his teachers (at age 13) felt that he would be able to attend college and be self-sufficient as an adult I would wonder if he would qualify to have a "conservator" (or whatever).

Who is supporting your son? Does he earn enough on his job to have his own apartment, pay for his own utilities, buy his own food, etc.? Does you ex-husband expect that your son will live at home forever?

Is his father autistic, too?

He did graduate from high school then took one class at the community college then stopped going. He lives with his dad and his dad does not communicate with me about what is going on. I do believe that right now he cannot support himself in any capacity. His father does everything for him and I mean EVERYTHING. He flosses his teeth, he helps him bathe, and then he leaves him in isolation - meaning alone in his room playing video games. My son does have a part time job and is able to take the bus to and from work. He works at a plant building boxes. But then he comes home and is helpless.

He was thriving when he was younger. Im crushed that he is like this now.

Oh...his father is not autistic...he is something but I cant say here.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
He did graduate from high school then took one class at the community college then stopped going. He lives with his dad and his dad does not communicate with me about what is going on. I do believe that right now he cannot support himself in any capacity.

His father does everything for him and I mean EVERYTHING. He flosses his teeth, he helps him bathe, and then he leaves him in isolation - meaning alone in his room playing video games. My son does have a part time job and is able to take the bus to and from work. He works at a plant building boxes. But then he comes home and is helpless.

He was thriving when he was younger. Im crushed that he is like this now.

Oh...his father is not autistic...he is something but I cant say here.
I really don't know what to say. Perhaps, others with more experience in this matter can help you.

I don't know the correct terminology but is your son considered a "legally competent adult" or does he have a legal guardian such as your ex-husband or a social worker or state appointed guardian making decisions for him? If your son needs a guardian perhaps he is not as high functioning as you believe that he is.

Frankly, I have worked with severely and profoundly cognitively delayed teenagers who were able to floss their own teeth and take a bath by themselves (perhaps with assistance or cueing). Is his dad actually flossing his teeth or washing him in the bath/shower or just reminding him to do those things?

Something seems very wrong. Were you getting copies of his IEP, evaluations and regular updates from his teachers over the past few years? It would seem like a teenager who was that dependent on his father for self-care would send up huge red flags to his teachers. Did they ever refer the father to CPS because of his parenting?

Do you feel that this is serious enough to considered abuse and/or neglect? If yes, you can always talk to the police about this matter and ask for their advice. Or you can contact the local Disability Services in your son's area.

Good luck.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-02-2016 at 02:52 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 06:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
Stress can be a trigger for certain ASD features.

Adolescence. Stress.

Entering young adulthood. Even more stress.

The other thing - BPD and / or depression are often comorbid with ASD. It's easy to understand why. Today's world is challenging for NTs. For ASD folks it can be a nightmare.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:07 AM

997 posts, read 936,775 times
I believe in independent living for adults with disabilities. That is because as parents we can't always be there. We might die or something, in fact we will. There has to be a support system in place.

I live in California and my son is Autistic and he lives independently but he has a little help. I don't know what he qualifies for but we have Regional Centers for people with developmental disabilities. They act as go-betweens for providing services. He would have to qualify. We have rarely used them but on occasion we have.

As far as playing video games and using the computer too much, that goes with the territory. These kids don't have as many options and they relate better to video games and computers then they do to real life. You can't force them into a round hole if they are a square peg.

My son goes to school because he likes it and he just got a 'real' job. He likes to keep busy. It is likely that your son would benefit from having a fuller schedule. Everybody needs purpose.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:55 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Stress can be a trigger for certain ASD features.

Adolescence. Stress.

Entering young adulthood. Even more stress.

The other thing - BPD and / or depression are often comorbid with ASD. It's easy to understand why. Today's world is challenging for NTs. For ASD folks it can be a nightmare.
I assume you are referring to bipolar depression - "BPD" is generally used to refer to borderline personality disorder, a very different disease that is not often associated with ASD.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:40 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I assume you are referring to bipolar depression - "BPD" is generally used to refer to borderline personality disorder, a very different disease that is not often associated with ASD.
Sorry, yes, I meant Bipolar / depression.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 800 times
Quote:

If his father is calling him several times a day inquiring about hygiene it could be causing your son anxiety and stressing him out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children