Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,625 times

Advertisements

What kind of problems can I expect with insurance and re-sale if I buy a house with a significant amount of knob and tube wiring in Spokane? I'm hearing that some or many or all insurance companies will refuse to sell homeowners insurance when old knob and tube wiring is present. That seems odd to me given that a huge chunk of the housing stock in Spokane seems old enough to have k&t wiring. Are they all uninsured? Or is the insurance industry just starting to change to this policy of not insuring k&t? When I go to sell the home will it be impossible to unload the house unless I replace the wiring? I'd appreciate hearing anyone's experience with or advice about insuring and selling a house with knob and tube wiring. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,863 times
I believe most home insurance companies will not write new policies on homes with knob and tube wiring in Spokane or most cities in the US of A. If you are already living in the home and have a policy, you can simply have an electrician evaluate the system and correct any deficiencies. If you are selling your property, you will probably have to replace all the knob and tube wiring prior to placing on the market.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:05 AM

64 posts, read 233,173 times
Not 100% true Vette. There are insurance companies that provide for home with K&T not all though. I know State Farm will not. Although it would help to sell the home I would assume, it is not necessary to replace the wiring before you list. If that was the case Garland, Shadle, Audubon, South hill areas, etc wouldn't have half as many homes for sale.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 25,821 times
you just have to have alot of gfis it may vary in difernt countries / states but we just bought a house in windsor ont. its all old knob and tube wiring we jsut got insured we had to have an electrician go aroud and install quite a few gfis im pretty sure one on each circuit so there is ways around it some insurance companies will take
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area