Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 PM

87 posts, read 373,165 times

Advertisements

It seems like it's been awhile since we've had a discussion about what's going on with real estate here. We're renting right now, (have been here 6 weeks) but would really like to buy a home this spring. We've been watching the market for 8 months or so and we're seeing a lot of the same homes still sitting there. But, it doesn't seem like the prices have adjusted down very far. Our home in Ohio should (finger's crossed!) close at the end of this month and we took a serious beating on it, having lost 15% in value since we bought it 3 years ago. We hear things aren't moving here, so why aren't the prices coming down. Or are they? What's the scoop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 06:54 AM

438 posts, read 1,797,470 times
I've also been wondering the same thing. Also, a lot of my "favorites" have disapeared that have been on my list for a while(like 5 the week after Christmas). I wondered if it was the weather--maybe they're just taking a break because nobody was looking right now anyways?
On the other hand, there have been many new listings since the holidays. The prices don't seem any lower though and many homes that are re-listing aren't dropping the prices they've had for months. :~/ D

Old 01-15-2009, 07:30 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,913,545 times
Oh you're making me have to focus before the coffee is finished brewing....Deena, a lot of agents have their listings expire at the end of December so that they can be relisted with a 2009 MLS number. Personally, I've had a couple listings that decided to hold off on relisting until the weather improves for showings. Since the winter market is typically slow, waiting until February or March to relist is pretty common. As far as prices, I am seeing quite a few "Price Change" status on listings - even some of the new construction. Not huge changes - $5000-$20,000 lower than the previous price. I think since our median/average price is in the $180-250,000 range, you won't see the huge price drops that the CA & FL markets have taken. I also think that many sellers are expecting the buyers to make low offers anyway, so they're not dropping their price and then also be willing to entertain a low offer.
There are still homes selling - we had our first office meeting of the year yesterday and learned that many agents have buyers looking for homes & investment properties that they're not finding in the active inventory.
Any other agents out there have some thoughts on this?? Gotta run -- taking a continuing ed class today.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:20 AM

Also noticing that there seems to be a lot more new listings on the lower end of the scale and not so many mid-range. It would be a good time for investors and starter homes. I guess it would make sense that "family" type homes would list a little later because they'd like to sell/move in the summer. :~) D

Old 05-01-2009, 10:41 AM

Okay, so we were in Spokane earlier this week and did another house hunt. VERY FRUSTRATING! Nice houses in bad areas, bad houses in nice areas...felt like we were leading our agent on a wild goose chase.
It's not my imagination. The homes in our price-range (ramblers, high 100's-$250K) have decreased dramatically from last year. Also, the kinds of homes that are for sale. We looked at 14 homes and almost all of them were what I call "grandma" houses. They are either downsizers, estate sales or people moving into retirement homes. They look like nothing has been done to them for 30-50 years. The prices don't seem to be dropping to reflect the amount of work that needs to be put into them. One home that we saw was in a nice area of the Valley. It was lovely from the outside but the inside was tragic. There was some sort of horrible chunky treatment on the living room ceiling and 1960's wallpaper everywhere. For this they wanted $220,000 and it's been on the market, sitting empty, for a while. I don't think it was worth it.
I think families who may have updated homes in the last 10-20 years have decided to stay put for a while. Only people who are selling are people that have to, not people who want to move up to something bigger/nicer. They've just decided to ride it out.
I know that part of the problem is that we've been looking at ramblers. Now we're thinking that investing in an elevator wouldn't be such a bad idea. If we could find a true 2-story home (as opposed to a split or tri-level) it might make it worth it. That doesn't expand our choices a whole lot because they're hard to find, too, but it might help.
One good thing, now we do truly feel like we need to be in the Valley. Don't know why. Sometimes, you just gotta go where the Spirit moves you. :~) D

Old 05-01-2009, 12:02 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,425,483 times
Hi Deena160,

We are considering options on our house in the valley, it's less than a year old...one level with an unfinished basement, new vinyl fence installed, UGS on property...small lot, nice family area of new homes. I can relate to your comments, we were looking for home(s) in Spokane last year and more were older run down homes, especially north Spokane, such as nine mile falls, beautiful area but so many houses on the market are from the 70's and not kept up in general.

Good Luck

Old 05-05-2009, 11:52 AM

197 posts, read 605,332 times
Hi, I haven't posted in a loooong time. Last time I posted, we were sure we had orders to Spokane. But, we didn't get them. We got San Antonio, Texas. The prices of homes are shocking there as well (but at least there are a lot of newer ones to choose from). Good luck to everyone.....I sure hope the housing market will come down to income level.....we're moving in 5 weeks. We're seriously considering buying/living in an RV for awhile. We have friends house hunting in Spokane right now. They are very depressed at what they are seeing there. I'm wondering if having a house built is the best way to get away from the crappy grandma houses. We're thinking about having a house built in Texas while we stay in an RV. Take care everyone.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeepotbend View Post
Hi, I haven't posted in a loooong time. Last time I posted, we were sure we had orders to Spokane. But, we didn't get them. We got San Antonio, Texas. The prices of homes are shocking there as well (but at least there are a lot of newer ones to choose from). Good luck to everyone.....I sure hope the housing market will come down to income level.....we're moving in 5 weeks. We're seriously considering buying/living in an RV for awhile. We have friends house hunting in Spokane right now. They are very depressed at what they are seeing there. I'm wondering if having a house built is the best way to get away from the crappy grandma houses. We're thinking about having a house built in Texas while we stay in an RV. Take care everyone.
I can emphathize a bit...my husband had someone all lined up for a job swap. They wanted to move so badly that they were about ready to quit if they didn't get a transfer or someone from our area to trade with. It sounded too good to be true...it was. A few weeks ago, she backed out and now we're back to square one. We're still going to put our house on the market, but it's a total leap of faith for us believing that my husband will get the transfer/swap he's been waiting for.
Building is still an option for us, but we don't want to live out in the middle of no-where, on a postage stamp, or on a new street stuck in the middle of a crummy neighborhood which seems to be all that our budget can afford. What we want seems financially just out of our reach because of what's available(or no longer available!) now on the market. ARGH!
Well, good luck and God bless you in Texas!!! :~) D

Old 01-13-2010, 12:26 AM

Default Resurecting this thread

Well, it seems like all of the previous posts here still apply. I look at my current status and realize that I'd better find a new one soon. I've nearly made it through the year! I thought we'd have our home sold and be in Spokane by now, but no. Two and a half years is a long time to think that you're going to be moving soon. lol. Actually the previous job swap (with the same cast of characters) that I mentioned is back on the table again. Crazy, huh?
Is it my imagination that there is hardly anything available in the median price range? Especially in family size ramblers in South Valley? It makes me want to cry. I'm really hoping that the inventory picks up in the spring. Although if this transfer goes through as planned my husband will be working in Spokane while we're trying to sell our house. It could be a long, bumpy ride.
So, prices in Spokane don't seem to have really gone down in the past year or so. True? Another reason to cry since prices in my area have continued to fall. They seemed to stay on par for a while, but not anymore. Any thoughts? :~/ D

Old 01-13-2010, 03:19 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,050,016 times
Medium sales price in November 2009 was $159k. In April 2008 it was $183k so prices have definitely come down. I have a home that Zillow valued at $275k ish a few years ago and is now around $220k ish but would sell for substantially less if it had to be sold today (Neighbor is listed for sale at $200k).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: