Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:46 PM

986 posts, read 2,509,002 times

Advertisements

I see that Spokane is notably "right-leaning," based on voter registration stats. Is this indicative of modest education levels and Faux News zombies, or just the general whiteness of the area? I'm white and am fine with intelligent conservatism, but not religious dogma, especially the anti-environmental-regulation/God-will-take-care-of-everything mindset.

Some stats show Spokane as being not overly religious; is that true, and a good sign for the intellect aspect?

I am not bashing Spokane at all, as I've seen the dumb blue-collar mentality in Sacramento for decades. There are people who are blue-collar because they're "down to Earth" and like hands-on work, and others who just don't aspire to anything intellectual. I want to live in an area with mostly white folk, but not mindless global warming deniers, etc.

I know these questions are subjective, and this forum might draw some of the more intellectually-inclined people, skewing the answers (I can tell by spelling & grammar). Has anyone met a big enough cross section of Spokaners to make a sound judgement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 11:28 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
I'd have to describe most Spokane Republicans as what used to be called moderates or country-club Republicans. They are mostly folks who have done pretty well, and wouldn't mind if everyone else shared the bounty, as long as they didn't make so much noise and pierce those parts of their bodies which by golly shouldn't have been pierced.

In other words, the GOPers in Spokane are pretty fair-minded. But they're not fanatics about it.

The bulk of the real right-wing nutballs are in Idaho; their left-wing counterparts are in King County. Spokane, in general, is pretty middle-of-the-road. Just remember to drive on the right side of the white line.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:38 PM

968 posts, read 2,062,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I see that Spokane is notably "right-leaning," based on voter registration stats. Is this indicative of modest education levels and Faux News zombies, or just the general whiteness of the area? I'm white and am fine with intelligent conservatism, but not religious dogma, especially the anti-environmental-regulation/God-will-take-care-of-everything mindset.

Some stats show Spokane as being not overly religious; is that true, and a good sign for the intellect aspect?

I am not bashing Spokane at all, as I've seen the dumb blue-collar mentality in Sacramento for decades. There are people who are blue-collar because they're "down to Earth" and like hands-on work, and others who just don't aspire to anything intellectual. I want to live in an area with mostly white folk, but not mindless global warming deniers, etc.

I know these questions are subjective, and this forum might draw some of the more intellectually-inclined people, skewing the answers (I can tell by spelling & grammar). Has anyone met a big enough cross section of Spokaners to make a sound judgement?

Spokane is not consurvativ or liberul. we are patriots and believe in the constiushun. we are also not dumm! if you have yur pickup, gun rack in the back, and dont like foriners you will be just fine.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:46 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
What's a tea-drone? Are you talking about the libertarian-classic liberal Tea Party? Or is tea-drone some kind of religious conservative nothing like the typical Tea Parry member?

Old 06-04-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
What's a tea-drone? Are you talking about the libertarian-classic liberal Tea Party? Or is tea-drone some kind of religious conservative nothing like the typical Tea Parry member?
A tea-drone often mates with a progressive queen. Then she kills and eats him and celebrates diversity.

And that's how evolution works.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:57 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times
I've not heard the term Tea-Drone, but it is a person who takes all their news from Rush Limbaugh and Fox News. Rush at least acknowledged he is entertainment and getting people riled up is what they want.

Partisan politics is everywhere, but not the majority anywhere. Some people forget that they can make value judgments and fall in line with total acceptance of one or the other of the two parties. Most people, if asked, don't agree with everything that one side stands for.

If you want space exploration, you have to be against gun ownership? If you are pro-life, you have to be against providing the elderly with affordable prescription drugs and poor women with birth control?

99% of the govt is the status quo. The news can get you excited about many thing that don't matter, and politicians will claim that they can make a change for the better in your life.

Most people, socially, know the two topics best left alone are religion and politics. Most people, however, tend to forget that the two most boring topics are being told about a TV show or their dreams. (slightly off topic )

(end of rant. need more coffee)

Edited to add: And everyone thinks they are a good driver and have a good sense of humor.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
I found most Spokies to be aloof when it came to politics. They were more interested in the weekend.

The eastern part of the county seemed to fit the stereotypical suburban/conservative flavor you can find anywhere (North Idaho West).

I do remember Rush and Hannity coming in pretty clearly on one of the AM stations (but I also don't recall EVER talking politics with anybody there).

Old 06-05-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I found most Spokies to be aloof when it came to politics. They were more interested in the weekend.
This may be the most cogent post ever on the Spokane Forum.

It certainly describes my intended approach when I return to Zero City.

Of course, I'll be retired, so every day will be a weekend.

Or the economy will go completely to hell, and I'll be working graveyard at Zip Trip.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:11 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
This may be the most cogent post ever on the Spokane Forum.

It certainly describes my intended approach when I return to Zero City.

Of course, I'll be retired, so every day will be a weekend.

Or the economy will go completely to hell, and I'll be working graveyard at Zip Trip.

Why would you retire in Spokane?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:53 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Why would you retire in Spokane?
The question is, why wouldn't one retire in Spokane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area